HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:19 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2012
206 Posts
on the glueing...remember that this foam is slick and smooth. one will want to scuff the contact surfaces for better adhesion.

man, that 51 looks like it was made for the plane...looks great!
formontoya is online now Find More Posts by formontoya
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:26 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogey50 View Post
Got mine done, will maiden when wind conditions permits. Very easy build, even with mods. Braced up LG area with epoxy, Skyloft and CF strip, wing with CF strip. CG at 95mm, hit right on the button with 1000mah Nano-Tech battery. You can see how sexy this plane is, by what it attracts! (-:
Looks good. BTW, what is Skyloft? Excuse my ignorance. Rick
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
922 Posts
Are the mods really neccessary?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Jul 18, 2014, 05:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
I guess it really depends on the pilot skills.... I've read a few instances of wing fold now but personally I don't do blender moves (I'm not at that level yet) so there's not been any issues with the airframe....

HobbyKing don't advertise the HyperBipe as a full 3D model, I think it's considered more of a sport pattern flier. Most of my moves include inverted flight, flat spins, and knife edge... all of which it appears to handle with ease...

The landing gear mod is a good one, I've noticed mine are wobbly now, so I'll brace the slot with ply like others have done. Simple enough to do and doesn't take a long time.

EDIT: I agree with Formontoya on the glue preparation. I did score my surfaces for the glue to seep into. I use an exacto knife to make a criss cross score in the foam along the mating surface, lets the glue expand into the shallow cuts. I know it works, as I've had to pry the surfaces apart to rebuild a damaged plane before and it was very strong bond, I'm pretty sure I ended up cutting the join instead. I'm sure others use different methods, sanding the foam should be enough.
Sed8ed is online now Find More Posts by Sed8ed
Last edited by Sed8ed; Jul 18, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:50 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
I'm one of those that experienced the wing failure.
I've probably gone a bit overboard with wing strengthening, however the plane was pretty badly damaged and needed beefing up.
Mine is still going strong BTW, albeit she's a little on the weighty side now. Still flies nice though.

If I were to assemble another I would ensure that all the gluing surfaces were well prepared, by sanding ,scuffing, or pricking small holes etc.

Then I would beef up the LG mount. There are several ways of achieving this but the epoxy impregnation of the foam seemed to work best for me.

IMO, if you are going to fly this thing a little violently (like I tend do to make for my lack of skills) then a carbon spar across the lower wing hatch would be a big help. Something like a 5x200mm spar glued into the foam would be all that is needed.

Then there's not much else to do other just enjoying flying the little thing.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:00 AM
Joined Jan 2008
686 Posts
Dang.... used my hyperbipe as a piledriver this morning!

Stupid pilot error, just wasn't on the ball when she was low to the deck and a sudden gust of wind threw me off! I over compensated and drove her in.

Easy repair, the nose split almost completely clean off, little compression, just straight snapped. One thing though! The 51mm Yellow Spinner is completely intact, no marks or scratches. Spinning the prop in my fingers shows no out of balance issues. Guess I need to be thankful for the rain over the last week... the ground is soft and forgiving. One thing about a blank fuse with no decals, no decal damage! I doubt anyone will be able to see the repair!

She will fly again in no time.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
359 Posts
It wasnt a perfect fit though, despite the 6mm hole description it was too big for the shaft, I used a prop adapter ring and it was perfect!

Sed8ed,
[Can u explain the prop adaptor ring, what is it , do u need to also buy one, how does it fit, THANKS
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:10 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,187 Posts
Based on how happy (actually thrilled) I've been with the HK Arcus (originally named Ozone Pro) biplane, I just ordered a Hyperbipe from the US Warehouse.

Will likely strip the bottom decals in favor of high visibility paint, apply Blenderm tape and Testors Dullcote on the remaining decals.

Planned use is small field pattern flyer ... No 3D.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Jan 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
It wasnt a perfect fit though, despite the 6mm hole description it was too big for the shaft, I used a prop adapter ring and it was perfect!

Sed8ed,
[Can u explain the prop adaptor ring, what is it , do u need to also buy one, how does it fit, THANKS
Often but not always prop adapters often come with a propellor. In the pack there is often a smaller pack of rings of varying thickness and centre hole sizes but all the same size on the outer side. This is to adapt the prop to differing motor shaft sizes.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2013
359 Posts
Thanks,Sed8ed
Ordered one.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
I'm one of those that experienced the wing failure.
I've probably gone a bit overboard with wing strengthening, however the plane was pretty badly damaged and needed beefing up.
Mine is still going strong BTW, albeit she's a little on the weighty side now. Still flies nice though.

If I were to assemble another I would ensure that all the gluing surfaces were well prepared, by sanding ,scuffing, or pricking small holes etc.

Then I would beef up the LG mount. There are several ways of achieving this but the epoxy impregnation of the foam seemed to work best for me.

IMO, if you are going to fly this thing a little violently (like I tend do to make for my lack of skills) then a carbon spar across the lower wing hatch would be a big help. Something like a 5x200mm spar glued into the foam would be all that is needed.

Then there's not much else to do other just enjoying flying the little thing.
Thanks! I dont push her so hard yet but I'll add a carbon rod on the lower wing, where exacrly is the weak spot? And where is LG mount?

I have 4 flights so far and I clearly see that the landing gear needs some reinforcement, will two pieces of plywood on each side work? And how about other landing gears and spar prop?

I'm using the included motor and prop that was included in the kit.
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Jul 25, 2014, 01:28 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,221 Posts
timx3,
The weak spot appears to be between the lower wing's LE and the hatch opening.
I just spanned the opening with some carbon tube.
At first I inserted some 6x1mm strip but it acted like a flat spring which caused the wings to flutter.

The LG slots into a plastic housing which is held in place by the foam which surrounds it. It is this foam which gets compressed during rough landings.
First off I fitted some ply either side but eventually this started crushing the foam as well.
Finally, I impregnated (don't tell the wife ) the foam with epoxy and this seems to be holding well. I also ditched the wheel spats.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jul 25, 2014, 04:20 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
Finally some time to fly, so time to maiden the Bipe. Reinforced as per thread suggestions. Taking other foam friends for the trip...
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,495 Posts
The Hyper towing a 2,7 meter glider.
The Hyperbipe is a real beast runnng on 4 cell.

Durafly HyperBipe, Towing a 2,7 meter glider (0 min 59 sec)
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Today, 03:30 AM
Joined May 2013
359 Posts
SpeedsterDen, can I ask on what holes do u have the aileron servo and control horns on. I ask because you plane is very stable re the aileron control are u using dual rates or expo.