HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
Discussion
Couple questions about EPP 3D's

OK don't kill me for asking what will probably seem like stupid questions, but I just have to ask.

3D flying has always amazed me. Those planes seem to just float around like the PZ Vapor. Honestly they look like they would be simple to fly just because they move so slow. I'm sure that is not the case. One question is I see people talk a lot about having a "durable" design that can take punishment. Moving so slow they look like they would crash to the ground with the thunder of a feather? Are they just extremely fragile to make them light, or am I missing something?

Another thing I've noticed is a lack of BNF or RTF's in this line. Why does no one make a BNF or RTF EEP 3D plane? They all seem to be kits you either build from scratch or a few precut pieces you need to buy servos/motor/ESC/TX/RX for.

One more question, the wind. It looks like these things would quickly blow away in even the slightest wind. Is this the case?

The reason I ask is I'd really like to try it out but I'm a RTF or at least BNF type guy. I don't have a lot of spare time to spend crafting my planes.

Thanks
DCDetector is offline Find More Posts by DCDetector
Last edited by DCDetector; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
3d foammies..!!

Hi,I am not an expert by any means.But I would like to give you some of my experience .I have been flying 3d planes for at least a year now and let me tell you,I am having a blast...!!

Well the wind is a big factor to these planes for sure.If I fly my in the wind I just do not enjoy the fly.May be the bigger scale ones are different.I wouldn't know cause I have never flown one.A little wind is ok.Calm day... you would have so much fun..is unbelievable ..

If you are talking about speed..for sure they don't fly like a jet.Now,They can fly pretty fast if you want to.But the thing is that if you want to do 3d you need to slow it down.Now what I know is that the plane may not go really fast but the control surfaces are bigger than a regular plane,therefore the response is a lot faster when rolling or climbing.So is a quick plane.That took me by surprise with my first one.A crashed it so many times trying to get use to the quickness of the plane.You can tame it down ,,but whats the point than.it will fly like a regular plane but some people do it just so they can get the feel for it.

They are durable but they break as well.Once you learn how to bring it to slow stop you can land it at your feet or catch it as well.

Last thing.When I got my first one I was just learning how to fly inverted..so the first time I yawed the plane right it flipped on me so quick that I found my self flying inverted..and since I was not ready yet I crashed it.So it takes some practice .But once you get it its a lot of fun.Good luck and try it!!

and there is bnf out there you can find them.I prefer to build my own.and I also have so many spares that I have to find a way of using all those extra parts.
NAFEAR is offline Find More Posts by NAFEAR
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
OK don't kill me for asking what will probably seem like stupid questions, but I just have to ask.

3D flying has always amazed me. Those planes seem to just float around like the PZ Vapor. Honestly they look like they would be simple to fly just because they move so slow. I'm sure that is not the case. One question is I see people talk a lot about having a "durable" design that can take punishment. Moving so slow they look like they would crash to the ground with the thunder of a feather? Are they just extremely fragile to make them light, or am I missing something?

Thanks
They really are pretty easy to fly. The reason they need to be so tuff is pilots are pushing their skills to the limit. One wrong stick move and you are in the ground. I like to use depron myself over epp. They are so easy to put together if I crash it's not a big deal if I break it.

Even though you are a BNF type of person, check out some scratch built foamies. Once you have the parts cut out you can have a airframe in about an hour. Ready to fly in not much time after that.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:23 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
I think one reason you don't see any BNF/RTF models is because of shipping. To ship a 32" wingspan foamy would require a pretty big box. So you'd be spending a bunch of extra money to ship what would essentially be a box of foam peanuts, plus, there's extra risk in damage during shipping.

The first foamy I ever built took me about 6 hours to complete. My second and third plane took about 4 hours. I didn't even use the manual for the second and third planes; they're that simple. I'd spend an hour or so a night during the week and have it ready to fly by the weekend.

Companies like Twisted Hobbys also offer "power packs" that include the motor, props, ESC and servos, so all you have to come up with on your own is batteries and the receiver. And they sell the batteries. And they sell DSM compatible receivers too, I think.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:25 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDetector View Post
...The reason I ask is I'd really like to try it out but I'm a RTF or at least BNF type guy. I don't have a lot of spare time to spend crafting my planes....
Have you got a TV set? If so, may I suggest that you get rid of the time consuming piece of junk and be free!
I did just that 10 years ago and haven't missed it with a heartbeat.

If you buy Twisted Hobbys or a RCPlanebuilder kit (Slicko) you can get everything you need in one stop.
Then you only need about three evenings to put it together and you will be rewarded with a plane that flies fantastic and is very durable.
I've built three Twisted Hobbys planes so far.

This a video of my first flight during our indoor session last saturday, It's great fun and I've made good progress in my flying skills thanks to the Twisted Hobbys/RC-Factory models!
Richard Starkenberg, mohed 2012-12-01 (2 min 12 sec)

The first time I flew a 3D model 9 months ago.
Fly me to the moon No1 (0 min 30 sec)
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Dec 06, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,628 Posts
Thats impressive flying Richard. But, next time, i want to see a rolling circle in that hall without touching the sides

Your other looks like one of my early videos (fortunately most of them are already deleted) .

This is my latest, we still have a lot to learn, thats the beauty of these foamies. Keep you entertained for years, as long as you dont dink em in too often.

tail touch (4 min 46 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:29 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
I remember a similar thread a while back. What someones time and experience are worth to assemble a epp kit will vary and as noted it typically takes 4-6 hours for most. Your also adding a much larger shipping option for a substantially larger box for it to be shipped in than most small 32'' epp plane kits are normally shipped in. The thread i read a while back the person estimated it would take 12 hours to have a 32'' epp plane rtf if he built it himself.. He stated his time was worth $100 a hour if i remember right and to him $1200 plus the cost of all materials and shipping was worth it since he figured it would take him 12 hours to build a kit... Not sure what was discussed or what was payed but some offered to order everything and assemble the plane and ship it to him. Its not that uncommon for the turbine crowd and large scale gasser crowd to pay experienced builders to assemble and flight test larger scale stuff and top gun and other high level rc competitions is where you will see more of this,plane owned by xyz,plane built by abc,plane flown by this or that pilot.

Im sure many would assemble a 32'' epp plane and ship it in a rtf or bnf level probably for $100-$150 plus the cost of shipping and build materials etc. I know locally one of the shops i go to offers build and repair service's for rc stuff like helis,planes,cars etc so you may want to inquire about this with your local shop.

The only vendor on here that i know has built rtf and bnf epp kits and shipped them is WMParkflyers but other vendors may offer the same service if you inquire but considering the extra time as well as added labor and shipping expense i cant see it costing anywhere less than $100-$150.

As noted any of the more popular kits out there will also have power combos offered to go with the planes. If people were willing to pay that much for bnd and flys and rtf 32'' epp planes to be assembled id start a factory in my front room .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:18 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Thats impressive flying Richard. But, next time, i want to see a rolling circle in that hall without touching the sides

Your other looks like one of my early videos (fortunately most of them are already deleted) .

This is my latest, we still have a lot to learn, thats the beauty of these foamies. Keep you entertained for years, as long as you dont dink em in too often.

http://vimeo.com/54709658
Yes, but I do remember your early videos.
The difference is amazing.
I'm doing something reminding of a rolling circle at 1:50, but it do contains some strange quirks, but still!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:49 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,757 Posts
As others have said, the problem is shipping which requires ~ 36" square box and the freight is expensive. WMParkflyers offers the service and ships via Greyhound as the most economical, but it's still not cheap.

The best solution normally is to try and find someone locally to do the assembly.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:07 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,965 Posts
If you know someone local assembly and set up could be done for next to nothing or even free. I remember assembling a few rc cars back when i raced for a 6 pack or two of my favorite beverage.. considering there are hundreds of parts,screws,shock oil etc to assemble a 10th scale off road car that was almost for free . There is plenty of assembly videos out there for epp planes,a little research would go a long way and there are plenty of people in the forums that could guide you through a build as well. Just downloading the online assembly manuals for some of the epp 3d planes out there now would give you an idea of how the builds go for these planes.. if its your first it will take longer to assemble than someone thats assembled many but just getting familiar with the basic assembly thats common for just about all the flat epp planes out there will take out guess work and make your first build go quite a bit smoother.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Sep 2012
73 Posts
I guess my question about so few BNF/RTF 3D foamies is I buy lots of much bigger planes as BNF/RTF's, and I'm really more aiming at the electronics and hardware. Especially the motor, ESC and servos. I can't see why shipping would be so tough with these pre-installed. There just seems to be such a good market and so few meeting that market.
DCDetector is offline Find More Posts by DCDetector