Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Discussion
Any HobbyKing ESCs with Switch Mode BECs?

Other than the perennially sold out YEP ESCs, are there any low-cost ESCs at HobbyKing that have switching BECs than linear? Having trouble finding some. All the Plush seem to be linear. Looking for 30 or 40 amp.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:20 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
Blue ones or mystery
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,717 Posts
40 amp and up on the Plush series ESC;s. 3a on 40, 60, 4a on 80. They can all handle 4 regular servos ithout problems in my planes. I flew a 96" wingspan Turbo Beaver with 6 servos, 2 being for flaps, with the Plush 80, never a minutes problem in 30-40 flights.
Latwly I've been building twins, they required from 6-14 servos, I use the Megabec8 up to 8 servos, and the Turnigy 8-15 above that. FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
None that i'm aware of in that size range, but the linear ones in the 40 Turnigy Plush series work fine.

Your other option is to pick up one of the Hobbywing 40a ESC's as I know for sure that they run a switch mode BEC, it's just for whatever reason the version they make for Turnigy (i.e. the Plush) on the 40a the Turnigy version only has a Linear BEC whereas the Hobbywing one has Switch mode. Hobbywing is the OEM for of the Turnigy Pluch and several of the other ESC's HK sells. You can buy the Hobbywing stuff from several online sellers and ebay.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Maybe not HobbyKing but there are lots of choices elsewhere: https://www.google.com/search?q=swit...ient=firefox-a
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,000 Posts
+1 on Plush 40, or Plush 40 sentry
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Other than the perennially sold out YEP ESCs, are there any low-cost ESCs at HobbyKing that have switching BECs than linear? Having trouble finding some. All the Plush seem to be linear. Looking for 30 or 40 amp.
These are in the U.S.
They are the same as the Plush (Hobby Wing manufactured) check the 70 amp for the chart on all size ESC's in this line. All are switch mode BECs. I have been using them for quite some time without a problem.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/detrumdynamesc.html
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a huge fan of HobbyWing ESCs from HobbyPartz. Just putting together a HobbyKing order and thought I'd give a couple of their ESCs a try too.

So HobbyWing programming card, which I have, is confirmed to work on the Plush series os ESCs from HK?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:03 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,380 Posts
I've had thirteen 60-amp Plush ESCs. One was destroyed in a crash. I'm still using the other twelve.

I've never had one so much as act up even a little bit. I've had nothing but perfect service from all of them. With that kind of service record, I use them even when I could use a 40, or even a 30, and just pay the weight penalty.

(No idea on whether or not that HW card will work on the Plush.)
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a huge fan of HobbyWing ESCs from HobbyPartz. Just putting together a HobbyKing order and thought I'd give a couple of their ESCs a try too.

So HobbyWing programming card, which I have, is confirmed to work on the Plush series os ESCs from HK?
If it looks like this it will.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-6219634..._2230_14422817
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
I've had thirteen 60-amp Plush ESCs. One was destroyed in a crash. I'm still using the other twelve.

I've never had one so much as act up even a little bit. I've had nothing but perfect service from all of them. With that kind of service record, I use them even when I could use a 40, or even a 30, and just pay the weight penalty.

(No idea on whether or not that HW card will work on the Plush.)
I've got a 60a Plush that in my regular plane pulls over 70a at full throttle, actully 78a on a fresh pack. It has never come down more than just warm to touch. Great ESC!
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352