HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2001, 08:20 PM
Hebron, KY
Joined Oct 2001
357 Posts
Hobby Lobby Champion

Anyone have experience with Hobby Lobby's Champion? I ordered one and am waiting to receive it, however I would like some advice on do's and don'ts. Also how does she fly?

Is the stock setup ok?

Can you ROG or is handlaunch better for this plane?

Thanks,
nrthwing is offline Find More Posts by nrthwing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2001, 10:30 PM
Former bpp dude
Joined Oct 2001
1,025 Posts
Do a search for the Champion and you find dozens of posts and links to several reviews. I have one and absolutely love it. Out of the box it is somewhat underpowered but tracks like its on rails and is capable of nearly any stunt except for high-power 3d moves. Many of us who own them have already upgraded the motor/gearbox/prop. Most have used 280bb or Astro 010/020 brushless motors. I myself threw in an Astro 020 w/3.3:1 with a 10cell 600ae pack and 9x6 prop. Performance is truly amazing with this combo. If I fly at 1/4 throttle I can achieve 15+ min flight times with performance better than the stock setup. If I go all out, I can still fly for over 5min with full aerobatics, hover, 100+ foot loops, vertical-till-she-is-a-dot-in-the-sky, etc. I really think this is they way to go for this bird. If you dont have the cash to throw at a brushless setup then try a speed 300 with a 5:1 and a 9x6 on ten 600ae's. That should really give your champ some life. ROG are no problem stock on 8 cells. Just be carefull of the fragil fuse and beef up the landing gear or youll rip them off on your first hard landing. Pay attention to the control surface throws as this plane is very senstive.. Have fun with it and post your flight experiences!
ls77 is offline Find More Posts by ls77
Old Nov 06, 2001, 01:44 PM
Hebron, KY
Joined Oct 2001
357 Posts
Many Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, I am looking forward to my first flight. I report my thoughts.
nrthwing is offline Find More Posts by nrthwing