HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
did some final tuning of the engine all tuned up and seems to idle around 1780 and top rpm is 7800 and power is smooth. Everything is fitted. I think I'm gonna try some taxi tests tomorrow at the field with it. I still need a pitts muffler to put the cowl on and fly it. I want to see how it taxis around and a shake down test with the motor running and such and make sure everything stays tight and such before it hits the air
chaos2984 is offline Find More Posts by chaos2984
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
field tested the plane and it runs great. And starts easy. Idle is good. taxi test was good. Its a little tippy but overall seems good. idle is good just sits there and doesn't move while idling. Im happy with that. Everything seems good. Just got to perform final balance when the pitts muffler gets here and put the cowl on.
Old May 01, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
ok took it up for the maiden and man it needed a lot of weight upfront to get it right. Ill have to move things around to get it better with less added weight. But the maiden didn't go so well. I let the club pro take it up. He got it up and trimmed it out and got it flying nice and it was flying good. Said it had a lot of power and was nice to fly. He did some easy loops and easy manovers. Was flying well and set it up for landing and put it at half stick. And the engine just quit at half throttle. He did everything he could to spill speed and land it. But it got squarely and the fence got in the way and he had to use all the power to get over the fence and it got over the fence. But tried to noise it down a little to land it and it fell from about 5 feet. It didn't bust it up to bad. It busted up both wings where the gear is and broke the motor mount firewall box. but everything is ordered to fix it. Just have to remake some ribs and re sheet the wings and cover it.

but the gear support didn't fail the ribs that it was tied to failed and that was it. Im gonna rebuild it stronger.

Im at a loss at y it quit at half throttle. I took the spark plug out and it looks like it running good but i don't really know how to read spark plugs. I know it wasn't rich it wasn't wet or black. I am going to take it into work and see what the guys at work have to say. The engine was brand new. Ive never broken it in but i didn't break in my 55cc i just flew it easy for the first few tanks. but i didn't idle the engine and taxi test the plane first though before it flew. I probably put 1/2 tank threw it on the ground before it got in the air for the first time.

only plus out of it was that the test guy said it flew awesome. It did look good in the air. Im just glad i didn't have the spinner or cowl on it yet because of back ordered pitts muffler
Old May 02, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
hi
here's mine
it's powered by a DLE 20 CC with 16*8 propeller
with electronics following
throttle futaba 3010
aileron 3010 *2
elevator futaba 3305 *1
flaps futaba 3305 * 2
rudder futaba 3305 * 1
landing gear hitec hs 75 BB
and engine cut for ignition
with lipo engine and other one for electronic.
toy007 is offline Find More Posts by toy007
Old May 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
very nice looking. mine looked that good until the crash. what did you do for the wing connections for servos did you make a big connector or just connected each servo indiviually
Old May 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash, that sucks. Better luck next time!
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old May 03, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
yea ill I'm going to rebuild it and try again. Im just a little confused as y the engine quit at mid throttle. Im a little baffled. I checked the plug that looked great dry and a little gray. no black. fuel looked fine. unless i got an air bubble somehow. but i think ill run it at mid throttle on the ground for a full tank and make sure the engine is ok before it hits the air again. Ill post pics of the damage soon
Old May 03, 2012, 06:13 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
I'd say runninng it on the ground is a good idea, also I've had pin holes in fuel lines that caused the engine to quit mid stick. Check there are no bubbles in the lines when you run the engine. If you cannot figure it out, bring it to the club and let one of the more experienced club members have a look, a second set of eyes some times will pick up things we've missed. Good luck.
Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old May 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
I just connected each servo indiviually , if you have a problem with 1 or 2 servo ,it's easier to change them on field and each connection is securized .
the CG was very difficult to done because you can't put the 2 lipo where it was the best placement but now it's correct
toy007 is offline Find More Posts by toy007
Old May 03, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well all the leads that come threw the wing holes have servo extensions on it i believe. Or i will put them on and put one main connection on the wings. I think it would be easier that way.

well my order comes in tomorrow and i think I'm going to get to work fixing the plane
Old May 03, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
just as a thought for the engine shutting off
I work on vehicles and one of the recent problems I've run into is that they are making cheap coil wires with double ribbed clamps, and these tend to vibrate of of the plug. Just a thought, if you have a volt meter try to connect it to the plug and cable(attached) and just wiggle the cable on the plug. if the connection becomes infrequent it MAY be the cable, hope it helps.

also do you know what the width if the cowl is??? I am making a scratch conversion of a Carl Goldberg super chipmunk into a p-51d but i cant find a cowl that fits. I need a cowl that is about 5 1/8" wide if you could help it would be much appreciated.
sprintfizz is offline Find More Posts by sprintfizz
Last edited by sprintfizz; May 03, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
ill measure it tonight for you.

well the ignition was still attached to the plug after the crash it broke off the bottom pannel with the wood still attached to the ignition box
Old May 04, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
the cowl is 133mm wide
Old May 05, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
15 Posts
Ok Did the engine die as soon as you brought it down to half throttle? If so the fuel may be to lean,,,Or did it idle a bit and then die? If so the fuel may be to rich,,,hope this helps!

Thank you for the cowl measurement!
sprintfizz is offline Find More Posts by sprintfizz
Old May 06, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
400 Posts
well looked at the plug and the plug looks good its nice and gray no black or not white. he brought it to half throttle for lining up for landing and it died after 10 sec or so. but I'm going to run it a lot on the ground on a stand and see what happens. All i can do is rebuild and try it again.

Those are the chances we take when we fly. If were not willing to take that risk in flying its not worth flying. So ill just fix and try again.