Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Build Log
Aeromarine Titan 33 (P mono)

After a few years of bashing and abuse of my Delta Force 33, I decided to build myself a new P boat. The DF33 is really starting to show what stress can do over a period of time. It's had it's nose broken on a submarine that made it all the way to the bottom, the transom has started to crack along the bottom of the hull, etc, etc.

I really like the way my Aeromarine Sprintcat and Mean Machine cats handle so decided to give the Aero Titan 33 a shot. It arrived Thursday, but after having my main computer die last weekend, just finally got around to taking it out of the box for some photos this morning.

More to come later.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:16 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I like the deep vee and the lack of a ride pad, should corner very well. I'd recommend my Pursuit setup with the 4082 on 4s2p, i have not had one problem on plenty of runs now and i'm running it with a T180 which does not LVC early in 4s config.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:47 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
I like the deep vee and the lack of a ride pad, should corner very well. I'd recommend my Pursuit setup with the 4082 on 4s2p, i have not had one problem on plenty of runs now and i'm running it with a T180 which does not LVC early in 4s config.
Actually I'll be moving the Neu 1521 and CC 240 that's in my DF over to this hull instead of buying another motor/esc. I am using new hardware though. That way I can still run the DF until getting to the last portion of the build.

Got the rudder bracket and stinger base mounted already but haven't drilled the stuffing tube hole yet. Thought I'd get another opinion on height before locking it in. Right now it can be moved about 3/32" up or down from the location shown in the photo below. Once the tube goes in the height will be locked in.

In the meantime, I'll go drill the holes for the turn fin brackets.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I try to err on the side of it being a bit high if anthing, that position looks perfect to me, too low and it rides too high and can be squirelly.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:12 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Thanks scorp. I thought it looked pretty close too but it never hurts to get a second opinion. There's a slight offset to the right (when it's right side up) in it too but the camera angle didn't show it.
Looks like it's going to be a good weekend for working on boats (or anything else that keeps you indoors) this weekend. Wind are blowing pretty steady around 20 mph here and gusting close to 30. The extreme high pollen count from the oak trees isn't doing my sinus' much good either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Got all the holes punched in the transom except for trim tabs. I'm going for the "Jan seal of approval" on this one. I'll try it without them 1st then add them in if needed.
Went ahead and put in the front hatch hold down tabs as well. Now it's time to break out the sandpaper and start getting it ready for some paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,830 Posts
Hi Bill,

If it were my hull, I'd make the offset for the stinger a bit more, 3-4 mm.

This way you won't have to steer left, or shim the stinger to run straight.
[edit] too late...[edit]

I know how your sinus' feel, I'm on medication and light therapy from january until august due to the pollen...

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:21 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Heard me talking about you didn't you?
Seems like the older I get the more the pollen bothers me. This year has been really bad due to the mild winter we've had. It's the 1st time I've used an anti allergy medication and it's not agreeing with me either. I can breathe but it doesn't let me sleep very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Hey Bill, if for some reason the Neu doesnt work out, i found this listing on ebay. Just throwin this out there as an option...............price seems fair too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-rc-eletric...item4cfefeebad
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:16 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Hey Bill, if for some reason the Neu doesnt work out, i found this listing on ebay. Just throwin this out there as an option...............price seems fair too

]
Not a bad price but it would need free shipping to get my seal of approval
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 05:56 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Shot some color on the hull & hatch last night but I'm going to have to let it cure for a week or so then re-sand and repaint the top deck and hatch if I want it to look good. The sides and transom came out fine but for some reason the deck and hatch came out with what I think is called "fisheye" in the body shop world.

I really don't know what happened here. Paint was from the same can, same prep which consisted of a 400 grit wet sand followed by a soapy water wash and lacquer thinner wipe down prior to spraying. I'm just wondering if maybe the upper and lower portions are of different ages and the top needed more cure time before shooting it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:11 AM
Palma Sola,Fla.
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I believe "fisheye" is caused mainly by oil contamination of the surface that's been painted.
osprey21 is offline Find More Posts by osprey21
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:36 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Could very well have come from your hands . Use a good degreaser and use gloves when handling the surface your going to paint
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,075 Posts
Fisheye may not have been the correct name. It's like certain areas of the deck repelled the paint. I suppose it's possible that it could have been from some mold release agent or something trapped in the gelcoat but can't unserstand how it was still there.

When I 1st pulled the boat out of the box I gave it a good wipe down with acetone. After getting all my holes drilled, wet sanded it thorougly with 400 grit automotive grade paper. Washed it all down with soapy water and rinsed. After it dried, did the masking and then gave it another wipedown with lacquer thinner about 10 minutes before I started spraying.

The sides and transom came out just like they have in the past with good results. The deck... not so much. I can get away without doing anything on the hatch. It just has a couple of small spots that I can hide with a sticker or something. The deck I'll have to fix though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:10 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
Unrelated to the paint, that hatch looks like a bit of a PITA to tape down... Are you planning on running a flat sub hatch to make life easier?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons