HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
Discussion
Predicted increase in Western US wildfires

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0214134936.htm

This is a press release on a study of factors involved in wildfire frequency and intensity in the Western USA. It takes into account a number of factors, global warming included. It gives an analysis of past fire regimes and discusses the effects of the little ice age and the medieval warm period. This strikes me as the kind of based on history, multifactor analysis that might actually come up with accurate predictions of the future. I'd encourage reading the whole release, as some of the most interesting things, I thought, were down toward the bottom.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Last edited by Jim Thomerson; Feb 16, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Let me guess... more global warming mythology ?

The warmer cultists are 0 for how many now ? I guess if you toss crap at the wall long enough, sooner or later a piece will stick, huh ?

But why bother pretending to be academics at this point ? Heck, a monkey can toss crap at a wall.
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I could not agree with you less.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:53 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Monkey throwing poop (1 min 19 sec)

Wrong again. Monkeys throw crap all the time.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
Sorry, I posted an interesting link, but not the one I intended (which does not involve monkeys). It is fixed now. This study is unusual in that it is done more or less in house, at the University of Oregon. As you know, most modern scientific studies are multiauthor, and usually people from different institutions. Some years ago, NSF warned against the "guy down the hall" syndrome. When you write up a grant request, you want the best people possible involved. That is usually not the guy down the hall, at least at a minor university. I thought this went against trying to strengthen one's own faculty. But, in any case, I have published only three papers coauthored with another faculty member, about 5% of my total publications. In two cases, the coauthors were top notch, in the third, the coauthor came to me for help.

So I think the wildfire study is, in part, a brag about how good the University of Oregon is in this particular area.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
If they're so great, why not make their living educating students instead of pandering for pork from DC ?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
Professors deal in knowledge in three ways. They create new knowledge; this is the research aspect. They conserve knowledge; this is the teaching aspect. They use knowledge to make the world a better place; this is the service aspect. They also do a certain amount of administrative stuff around the university, but most have this at the bottom of the list. This is the ideal view of the professorship. The proportions of effort vary from time to time, and from professor to professor. The mix I had in my career suited me pretty well.

You notice that a fair number of people involved in the wildfire study were, in fact, students at the University of Oregon.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,543 Posts
I could swear I saw a thread on this same topic last year about this time....

Based on what I can see from my little corner of the world, there were fires, but the universe didn't come to an end. Just like it happens every year. So, is there a point to this thread?

My disclaimer is I did not watch the vid, so there may be some salient point presented.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I got around to watching the vid. It is not a vid of a monkey, but rather of our closest living cousin, a chimpanzee.

There has been quite a bit of work on the increase in western wildfires. I thought this one did a good job of considering all the factors involved, and putting it all in historical context.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvD5OSkJ_Q

Wrong again. Monkeys throw crap all the time.
I thought that was an occupier!
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
"Short-term peaks in fires were associated with abrupt climate changes -- warming or cooling."

I'm convinced man has influence on wild fires and suppressing them artificially only makes the potential for devastation worse. it's like thinking the government should control the economy or counterfeit its way out of debt. When that bomb goes off, it will negate all efforts at control.

As for the fire record showing a correlation with abrupt climate change, that tells me that nature has ways of regulating itself and like economies, you gotta let it do its thing because its foolish to think man can control it.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, MO, Joplin
Joined Apr 2010
13 Posts
The people who do the worst to the environment is the so called environmentalists. They keep people off the land and clearing the brush, so when a fire does happen it has too much fuel and you end up with scorched earth and then mud slides like in callyfornia.
mastmec is offline Find More Posts by mastmec
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
240 Posts
Funny
No you cant cut any trees, no no you can cut any under growth it has to be natural.
Well you know how nature deals with a weak overgrown forest ?
NOOOOooooooo put it out,put it out

Knew a logging company owner , told me of how he talked to a local mountain community about thinning out their area and making it more healthy and resistant to fire through mangament.....standard no, get out, you aint cutting our forest
Now they mange little trees and charcoal
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
I'm surprised nobody is talking about the Co. wildfires

Looks like they are massive!

Prayers are not enough to counter the hot tears of the oppressed!

If we want these catastrophes of Biblical proportions such as fires, tornadoes and floods to stop, the US Leadership had better stop oppressing people around the world!

Oppressed peoples' prayers are always answered!
AbuSabri is offline Find More Posts by AbuSabri
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:26 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
This thread was a bit too intellectual for some here, and they proved it ain't just monkeys that like to throw feces...
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop