Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
18" when measured from the bottom of the boat to the top of the lead
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2006
562 Posts
With what diameter lead? And what draft hull?
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post

There will also be a report in the AMYA Quarterly.
Looking forward to it!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 17, 2014, 05:44 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
With what diameter lead? And what draft hull?
That accounts for a 2" diameter lead, and a 2" draft hull.
Yes, there are variables in that, but you are safe with the variables and an 18" fin. I've sailed slightly longer, but another inch is likely to scrape. It makes for an incredibly proportioned model yacht.

"Classic" designs use a 14" fin, and those go like 1980s Ferraris instead of 2014 ones.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 06:47 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
640 Posts
Quote:
That accounts for a 2" diameter lead, and a 2" draft hull.
Yes, there are variables in that, but you are safe with the variables and an 18" fin. I've sailed slightly longer, but another inch is likely to scrape. It makes for an incredibly proportioned model yacht.

"Classic" designs use a 14" fin, and those go like 1980s Ferraris instead of 2014 ones.
My Toad rescue measured 14 inches with a 10 lb. bulb. I'll be installing a 16 inch keel and an 8 lb. bulb. I based that thought on my later generation boat with similar dimensions and weights. But to get it right, I'll float it with its gear installed and a pseudo weight for the rig to see what will be necessary to get it to sit on its waterline.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Ive settled on a 16 and 3/4" fin on the Viper at all times.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 09:05 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,066 Posts
@ Mike and Breakwater:

Thanks guys - those are helpful. I will still need to add some weights to see where it actually floats - but these give great starting points.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:35 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
164 Posts
All,
This is a great site where lots of ideas are shared and the Marblehead topic has been covered from keel to mast head. Anyone interested in actually sailing them? Will have a firm date in a few days for our first annual "Shut Up And Sail" regatta here in Southern Central CT. If anyone is interested and wants to be on the contact list, please speak up here.

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:06 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,066 Posts
Soon as I finish my restore ........ although it might not be "strictly" legal. It WILL BE a 50/800 though! Still lots of work ahead. Will touch with you late in year - or early spring, depending on progress made. Great idea, by the way.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,414 Posts
Just so everyone is clear, there were twelve, (12) Marbleheads of the Vintage Variety racing at Redds last Saturday, for just a regular old club race. So, to say that you can't have thick fleets and heavy competition with different Ms is likely an ill-informed statement. No, there were not any Pinters Vs Madcaps. Get real.

I've attended a few of SJ's regattas, and they are first-rate. And while I'd love to participate in this one, It is now very much time for somebody else to step up and start making it happen. Because without that, there won't be a Marblehead class of any variety in this country.

I happen to be fortunate enough to be in the only area in the country where Marbehead racing is burning brightly. It's up to the rest of you to start pressing that little red button. I suggest starting with whatever you've got, Calling it a Marblehead and see where it leads from there.... But its your deal now.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 01:46 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Quote:
I've attended a few of SJ's regattas, and they are first-rate. And while I'd love to participate in this one, It is now very much time for somebody else to step up and start making it happen.
Participation is what it is all about! I don't have a true sense of what a drive from the Marblehead area to south central CT would entail but it seems like any regatta in the area (within reason) should be supported, no?

boats on the water, people seen having fun... others will want to dust their boats off and join in.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2008
12 Posts
participation

10 boats this morning, not bad considering breakwater and several others weren't in attendance.
modelyacht is online now Find More Posts by modelyacht