Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Put the wings together without the center section. Just wing tubes and struts.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
i did that and it's twisted
SWAMPER is offline Find More Posts by SWAMPER
Old May 21, 2013, 03:47 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Wing struts

Try sanding the Plywood strut ends. Honestly the struts can be a little loose.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2013, 06:59 AM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
sanded them a good amount and covered the wings last night and going to try and wedge the struts in the pockets in a way to remove the twist, do i have to glue the center struts in or can they be left lose and held in when the outer struts and screwed down ?
Old May 22, 2013, 07:59 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPER View Post
sanded them a good amount and covered the wings last night and going to try and wedge the struts in the pockets in a way to remove the twist, do i have to glue the center struts in or can they be left lose and held in when the outer struts and screwed down ?
Center struts should be glued. Just make sure the wings are strait when you do it.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
well, wing has a little more twist now not sure what happen guess something was still off, think i'll stick with my trusted and true single wing SSX that por thing gets so many packs on it each weekend it's not funny

Old May 28, 2013, 12:45 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
well, wing has a little more twist now not sure what happen guess something was still off, think i'll stick with my trusted and true single wing SSX that por thing gets so many packs on it each weekend it's not funny

Sorry to hear that. I have several customers flying them, not sure what went wrong. What did it do?

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2013, 12:47 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

Convert it to a mono wing! I will send you the parts to do it if you are interested.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
Not 100% sure the controls just felt very mushy and just couldn’t get it back to the field, thanks for the offer I have your mono SSX and fly the thing all the time it’s the one plane that goes to the field every time out
Old May 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Feb 2009
255 Posts
James i did forgot i had the trainer wing from my SSX (i built the straight wing now) so looks like the bipe is no more but a mono wing is reborn with parts i had on hand

Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:23 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Wing strut misalignment

After banging my head trying to simplify the strut mounts of the SSX Biplane, I just don't have a solution that is as good as I already have. So I went back to my original design and considered what could be causing misalignment in the struts. I think the best solution is to change the way it is assembled. Instead of mounting the strut sockets to the ribs, build them separate from the ribs. Build the entire wing set and then install the strut sockets just prior to covering and while the whole plane is assembled. This will give you the opportunity to make corrections in the misalignment before gluing. I also recommend following the same procedure when connecting the lower center section to the upper center section.

Hope this helps,

James
RCG Plus Member