HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:08 PM
Surely you can't be serious!
Joined Sep 2014
28 Posts
Discussion
Simulator Tx - Old Futaba + Guts of PS3 = Bluetooth Sim Tx

So Im fairly new to the RC anything scene and decide to go electric heli, happy with my choice by the way, and wanted to get a simulator setup to practice.
Now i could have just droped the loot and got a ready to go sim in a box with a Tx and spent quite a penny. Instead i built my own and i think it came out pretty good.

I used an old Futaba that has been sitting in my closet for probably 15 years and genetically spliced it to a PS3 sixaxis controller. I used a piece of software called Scarlet.Crush Driver to get it to bind to the Bluetooth on my PC.

In order to get the controls from the old Tx into the PS3 controller board some fine soldering and hacking had to be done. First i removed the thumb stick pots from the board and soldered each of the 3 leads from the Futaba sick pots onto the pads of the pots that were removed. Then i connected the convenient trainer button to the leads for the middle PS button on the controller. This allows me to turn the controller on and off. Lastly i had a little toggle switch that i added to the Futaba and connected it to the two thumb stick button leads. i did this because the were the easiest to solder. this toggle switches between two buttons being pressed and held.
badfrogg is online now Find More Posts by badfrogg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:17 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
wow, you sir are unbelievable! so, umm...so you have tx connected via bluetooth and you'll be using it to fly in sim without wire connected?
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:31 PM
Surely you can't be serious!
Joined Sep 2014
28 Posts
Yep wireless Bluetooth sim Tx. It works better than anything that i have ever built. Take a look, sticks are super precise and center dead zero. Oh and im using Heli-x5.
badfrogg is online now Find More Posts by badfrogg
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:57 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,728 Posts
wow, way to go, buddy!
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher