HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2013, 07:00 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,083 Posts
Discussion
For example: James Cook and Admiral Paris.

How old is "OLD" - and when is vintage "VINTAGE"?

Some thoughts:

During the time of the great explorations all ships had draftsmen,artist and/or painters aboard. Not only to make precise pictures of birds and animals they found, but also pictures and plans of all exotic boats and ships they met!

Not only the Chinese had junks, also India and Indonesia had their own types -
and ancient ships of Japan where also very special.

Then there is this huge area of the pacific ocean - Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia.
Almost each single Archipel had his specific types of boats.
But not only small coastal fishing boats, but also 60 to 100 feet long oceangoing Pahis (catamarans) and Proas (outriggerboats) -
the french call them "pirogue a balancier".

Have you EVER heard about a KALIA from Tonga?

Or about a TE VAKE from the Salomones?
Or about a WALLAP from the Marshall islands?
A BAURUA from the Gilbert islands maybe?

In all likelihood... No, Sir!

Almost every bigger nation had colonies there and "unfortunately" most of the aborigines from these islands died because of european deseases they couldnīt withstand...
For example in the 18th century - within 20 years - 80 % of the Tahitian people died of simple influenza "brought" to them by whalehunters...the population went down from 400.000 to 80.000...can you imagine how much knowledge was lost?

For the Archipel of Hawaii it was even worse...90% casualties...
men, women, kids - but also most of their mastershipwrights, navigators and seamen...

Not to talk about all the other islands and archipels - it was very easy to take them over after that...

I donīt wanna complain - if you have pictures(copperplate engravings for example), plans and drawings - or pics and plans of modelboats and ships of these exotic types please share them here.

I for example have seen 3 books of Admiral Paris in the Viennese National Library
with outstanding plans - all reproductions of copperplate engravings with types of ships you might have never seen.
If it is of interest, I might be able to get copies of them and show them here.
(I had them once...lost datas...)
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Last edited by disabled; Jun 27, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:11 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
You don't see many model boats like those around. Thanks for the contribution!

I was hoping to attract old model boat plans from the 1950s to this thread - but anything old and rare is certainly of interest. Those were the days when much of the world was new, and a voyage of exploration always uncovered something that had never been seen before!

Getting back to the subject of models, those old drawings were then collected in museums, and often made into models. The Science Museum in London has quite a large collection of such models, and I have a small book showing some. Here are a few pages from it...
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:32 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
You don't see many model boats like those around. Thanks for the contribution!

I was hoping to attract old model boat plans from the 1950s to this thread
I completely agree.
Iīm also looking for old model boat plans, but mainly of the more exotic types I mentioned.

As the USA also have many Navy Bases in the pacific ocean - for example Guam, Samoa and of course Hawaii - I would have expected, that there must also have been a certain interest in these native crafts.
Starting with WW II or even earlier.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:59 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
Have you seen this site, and the links that come off it?

http://www.allscalemodels.com/model_boats_of_viet_nam
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:54 AM
Hamilton NZ
Joined Jan 2006
51 Posts
Hi Disabled,
Around the time of the 'VietNam' conflict, the US navy documented the coastal craft of VietNam, Campuchia and Thailand, all for the wrong reasons, but now serve as a very valuable reference to most of the craft likely to be in the area.
In Saigon in 1943, a French technocrat, Mr. J.B. Pietri, the Commissioner of Fisheries for the Indochinese government, published a book titled Voiliers d’Indochine or The Sailboats of Indochina.
With these references, many different craft ranging from the southern Chinese 'Junk' all the way to the Thai long boats, giving a very good cross section of the craft which sailed the South China Sea. I have been trying to find similar references to Philippine, Indonesian and Malay boats.
cheers
vnkiwi
Harold H. Duncan is offline Find More Posts by Harold H. Duncan
Old Aug 18, 2013, 07:49 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,665 Posts
Don't forget Thor Hyerdahl,s (spulling?) Kon Tiki expedition.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:31 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
Don't forget Thor Hyerdahl,s (spulling?) Kon Tiki expedition.

Regards Ian.
He also built three reed/papyrus boats - Ra, Ra II and Tigris. Someone might want to replicate them with a carved bit of styrofoam covered with hay...

I recall a reported incident shortly after Heyerdahl had made his famous Pacific crossing. He was waiting in the foyer of his London hotel for an interview with the BBC, and the car which was coming to pick him up seemed very late. There was another man also waiting, who looked like a taxi driver, so Thor got up to speak to him:

"Excuse me - are you by any chance waiting for me?"

"Nah, mate, not unless you've got some dogs.. I've been sent down to pick up four Airedales for the BBC..."
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:00 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,083 Posts
Te Puke building from the Salomones:

Vaka Taumako Project - Holau Kaveia Trailer (6 min 18 sec)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:22 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
As well as reading the stars, they could also tell where they were by feeling the movements of the waves and currents, which are influenced by the ocean floor shape several miles beneath them. And there were some fantastic voyages carried out - read 'A Pattern of Islands' by Sir Arthur Grimble....
Last edited by dodgy; Feb 25, 2014 at 05:59 AM.