SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Help!
Guardian defective?? Leveling AHI needs seconds

Hi Guys,

I have problems with my Guardian. It needs about 5 seconds to level the AHI correctly after just moving the plane at the bench. I tested it in two different planes. It has nothing todo with vibrations (occurs also with motor off).

First it was placed directly side by side to all the other RC stuff in my small Easyglider... so I thought the problem has to do with some interference.
But now it`s mounted with lots of space and different rc parts in my new X8 an the problem still exists.

Please see this short video:

guardian (1 min 16 sec)

I am running the latest beta 1.43 software and reflashed the guardian firmware.

Is there anything else I can do? Could it be a defective sensor within the guardian?

cheers
Sebastian
doc.maunz is offline Find More Posts by doc.maunz
Last edited by doc.maunz; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
here some additional informations:

ET connection scheme:
eLogger V4 -> GPS
eLogger V4 -> OSD -> Altimeter -> Guardian

Firmware:

elogger 1.21
OSD 2.66
Guardian 1.19
Altimeter 1.06
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Try turning up the overall gain from 0 to 8. I noticed that when you displayed your menu at 27 seconds.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Try turning up the overall gain from 0 to 8. I noticed that when you displayed your menu at 27 seconds.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply Crist!

I tried this out but the problem still exists. It needs 5-6 seconds to go back to level after just a few movements.

The "overall gain" setting was set to 0 by me because I need "elevon mixing / stabilization" set to on (Skywalker X8 plane) but without stabilization. Unfortunately I would like to use stabilization and RTH but with this (perhaps defective ??) guardian it will crash the plane...

I donīt know what to do anymore... should I send it to Eagletree for inspection? Itīs just 4 month old and it never worked.

cheers
Sebastian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Sebastian,

Sorry to hear about the problem. If it is not too much trouble, could you rock the plane's wings at moderate/fast speed, and make a short video showing how the Guardian responds to that?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Sebastian,

Sorry to hear about the problem. If it is not too much trouble, could you rock the plane's wings at moderate/fast speed, and make a short video showing how the Guardian responds to that?
Hi Bill,

here it is:

guardian test xx (1 min 9 sec)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for posting the video. We would like to get your Guardian in-house for further examination, and for replacement. Could you please open a ticket with us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com, and reference this thread? Sorry again for the trouble!
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Bill, there are a bunch of people getting this issue now.

Was there a batch of bad guardians or is this software related?
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Greg,

We are tracking 3 reports of issues that appears to be similar. Note that one key symptom of the issue is that when rocking the wings (or just the guardian) rapidly, the AHI will only sluggishly follow the movement, and the AHI may rotate slowly forever when the model is sitting perfectly still (it's normal for the AHI to take some time to recenter after movement).

One has arrived here, and two are inbound. The one that arrived is failing our test procedure now, but passed that test procedure when it was shipped. The nature of the failure in this one suggests it's something we can address with a firmware update and customer procedure, if we do start seeing more, and the issues turn out to be related and not related to physical damage. We'll know a lot more when we have all 3 units in-house.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Sep 17, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Greg,

We are tracking 3 reports of issues that appears to be similar. Note that one key symptom of the issue is that when rocking the wings (or just the guardian) rapidly, the AHI will only sluggishly follow the movement, and the AHI may rotate slowly forever when the model is sitting perfectly still (it's normal for the AHI to take some time to recenter after movement).

One has arrived here, and two are inbound. The one that arrived is failing our test procedure now, but passed that test procedure when it was shipped. The nature of the failure in this one suggests it's something we can address with a firmware update and customer procedure, if we do start seeing more, and the issues turn out to be related and not related to physical damage. We'll know a lot more when we have all 3 units in-house.
Hi Bill. I have sent you my Guardian today via airmail from Europe. I hope it will arrive soon and you can fix this issue...

Cheers
Sebastian
Last edited by doc.maunz; Sep 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Hi Bill,

any news here? My support ticket was set to "closed"...

Cheers,
Sebastian
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi Sebastian,

I checked on this. The ticket will be reopened (which will send you a notification) when we receive your Guardian. Airmail can sometimes take a while (but is pretty reliable).
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:29 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,088 Posts
mine is wacked out too, I've almost given up on it, but I would love it if there is a fix... I don't have this setup in the same airframe anymore, but it still acts the same way.
Eagle Tree OSD Guardian Stabilizer acting weird (1 min 19 sec)
aaronredbaron is online now Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
My Guardian arrived at ET last monday (some hours after Bills last post here) so I think we will get some information soon...

cheers
Sebastian
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi aaronredbaron, that is definitely not correct behavior!

Could you let me know a few things:
a) Did this suddenly start happening, or is it something that's always been this way?
b) When did you purchase the unit, and from where?
c) When the model is sitting on the ground, does the AHI stay level? If so, when you rev the motor, does the AHI then move around? If so, the issue could be either RFI or (less likely) too much vibration.
Site Sponsor