HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,106 Posts
The real cost is when you start driving 200 or 300 miles and staying two nights for a contest.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:19 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
The major factor in the increased cost of models is most people don't scrach build anymore. They just buy ready to fly. My last 132 inch RES sailplane cost me about $100 for carbon fiber and covering material. I used about $50 of balsa left over from a bulk purchase as well as about $30 of epoxy and glass that I already had in stock to mold a fuselage in a mold I built back in 2004. Building cost hasn't gone up that much.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Last edited by ChuckA; Apr 17, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
The name of this thread could be changed to "what happened to the price of gas", last time I checked, all prices have gone up, this is real life.
The last gas company CEO retired with a $400 million dollar packege, the next one needs 4.24 times that to keep up with the cost of living.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,217 Posts
Your on the right path....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956 View Post
I have been out of the hobby for about 20 years and am now starting over. Back then, yes I now have grey hair, we had a LHS full of a selection of kits. Yep back then if you wanted to fly you built it. You could start with a Wanderer or Gentle Lady for less then $40 or get a gas bag like a Paragon or a stout plane like a Gemini or Sagiatta ... Just where did the common kits go?
fortunately due to the internet you can get really good kits (listed in posts 2,3,4 and 10).I have purchased kits made by these sellers, built 3 of the 4 kits and they "fly off the board". There is no way i am going to pay 1500 for a model air plane ( i would pay 10x's that for a CH701 kit http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/index1.html)but about 200$ all up cost does meets the intersection of enjoyment vs. cost.
Take care and have fun, your of a right-mind and sound thinking,
john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
You bought some gas Joe?!?
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevon View Post
You bought some gas Joe?!?

If buying stock counts, yes!
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, IN, Mishawaka
Joined Sep 2009
219 Posts
Oh . I thought you might actually join us out as the elkhart field for a little flying.
Steve Bailey is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bailey
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
240 Posts
Way Better Today

I also am a grey hair that was out of the hobby for some 30 years and just got started again last summer. To be honest, what I was thrilled about was the all the new stuff. Even being able to get help from others on the internet, from all around the world, is an exciting addition to this sport/hobby that we never had years ago.

I can't tell you how long it took me to know what an ESC was, or a BEC, the difference between an inrunner and an outrunner. Hell, I didn't even know what an ARF was. So much of the terminology changed in 25 years and all the acronyms for a newbie like me was overwhelming. (But fun!)

The last contest I worked at I had frequency duty part time and winch-master duty the rest of the time. I never even heard of MOM, but now with 2.4 spread spectrum radios everyone can fly at the same time. Dam !!!!!

Years ago I built a Bird of Time from plans the first summer it came out, before there were even kits available. I have to admit, at my age and the way my hands shake, several of the ARF's I have are put together as good or better than I could do it myself. And the cost, at least in my opinion, are VERY reasonable.

Yup, Today things are WAY BETTER.

Paul M.
Paulbilbo91z9f is online now Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
Who said Kiwi's can't fly!
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Im the same.. returned after about 15 years.
Procured a bunch of plans for various sailplanes ( Riser, Paragon, Two Tee , Olympic 650 , Wanderer etc...) Scratch built a few of them and fitted a brushless to each and am enjoying the hobby more than ever .
Balsa seems about the same price it was ...ditto covering , radios are far cheaper ( my basic Futaba 5 ch cost me $550 way back then compared to $200 and something for my DX6i a couple of years back . My motor system I import from HK and for around $35 bucks I get motor , battery , servos ( $ 2.69 compared to the old $25.00 s148's) and esc ....
I reacon the hobbies cheaper than ever now ( it must be, ive a garage full of models whereas back then I had one glider and one plane.
The NZ$ was never that great against the US so we were at a great dissadvantage in the 90's when we purchased any modelling gear.
My latest Wanderer cost less than $40 to build and today, .... whats $40... pocket money for a Friday night out.. :-)

Grant
Grunta5 is offline Find More Posts by Grunta5
Last edited by Grunta5; Apr 17, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Ditto here, loved RC gear as a kid but the closest I could get was rubber-powered balsa models. 15 years later I stumbled upon an ARF kit on the internet for a reasonable amount of money, so got thinking and ended up getting into it again. Like Grunta5, my family/me were restricted by the Aussie dollar hitting alltime lows against the greenback.

In Jan 2011 I bought a DX5e, sold it for $50, bought a used DX6i for $50 (dropped but worked fine), sold it for $140, then bought a DX7i used for $150. Meanwhile my planes have gone from BNF Parkzone Micro Mustang, through the foam ARF kits, all the way to balsa kits and own-design scratchbuilds. I'm loving it, and have recently gone 'oldschool' with a 4ch 36Mhz Sanwa Vanguard and RET electric sailplane for the nostalgia - its what I would most likely have had as a kid in the mid 90's.

I too, on returning, couldn't for the life of me figure out BECs, ESCs, in/outrunners and 'kv' ratings to start with... when I left off outrunners were still on the horizon and they were still touting high-performance NiMh packs! A lot of research, help and good ol' trial/error got me understanding pretty well.

As for modern costings, they work out well. Try putting together a flyable 3 or 4ch plane for less than $100 in the 1990's - now I can do it for less than $50! Honestly:

Motor: $9
ESC: $8
Battery: $5
Servos: $6 (for two)
Receiver: $7

Thats based on HK prices plus $1 per unit for postage, totalling $35 and leaving $15 for some balsa/covering/foam/etc, cheap glue and a few control horns. Heres the result:

Loving this hobby, and loving the rediscovery! As good as ever and better than its ever been.

Cheers all - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
240 Posts
From WHERE ???

And guys,

Besides flying RC, this is what I think is Soooo cool, being linked up on the internet.

Grant, you are from New Zealand and boingk you are from Australia. I'm from the States in the New England area, half a world away. Back in the day we never would have communicated or even known each other existed. Dam

Happy Building & Flying Guys,

Paul M.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbilbo91z9f View Post
And guys,

Besides flying RC, this is what I think is Soooo cool, being linked up on the internet.

Grant, you are from New Zealand and boingk you are from Australia. I'm from the States in the New England area, half a world away. Back in the day we never would have communicated or even known each other existed. Dam

Happy Building & Flying Guys,

Paul M.

Dead right Paul... Thanks to the internet we can now go fly in the morning and less than an hour later share our flight with the world and if there's something you are unsure about you can certainly find help online...
In the early 90's I could only afford one motor (an OS.25 ) so it was swapped between models, as were the servos... what a performance..
If you had a mishap it was the financial outlay that was the downside and the reason many gave up.. now its just a minor inconvenience till the new one arrives in the post, or we can get back to the model shop..

Grant

Ps Boingk , heres my similar model for about the same price.. its so much fun to fly!
Last edited by Grunta5; Apr 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Looks good mate, love the look of those kind of craft without horizontal stabilisers... theres just something about them. Any shots of her airborne?

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Looks good mate, love the look of those kind of craft without horizontal stabilisers... theres just something about them. Any shots of her airborne?

- boingk

Unfortunately no airborne shots, as I usually fly alone , I sold that yellow one and now have this one . ( they are so simple to build and cheap too..) I have a FC2822 on it and can toodle around on only a couple of clicks of power.. open it up tho and it goes like a rocket . Its a Dereck Woodward designed Little Bit, and spans a mere 28 inches.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
240 Posts
Love the Colors

Good choice of colors for your Little Bit. Reminds me of my E-Bird of Time.

I'll bet it's a blast to fly too.

Paul