SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Hope you and your family are doing ok after that storm. I have see pictures and video showing the Seaside Heights boardwalk and can't believe how many times I have been there while I live in NJ and now see the destruction that Sandy did to it.

Thanks for the video. Take care.

Vince
Yeah I was planning to get the plane there but all access was closed this is only place I was able to pass to the shore.
Basically, most of the shore area is destroyed, you see some serious damage in some areas 3 to 4 blocks away from the water, pretty sad.
This beach had more vegetation and it was 1/2 size as you could see on my old vids.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:48 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,864 Posts
FPV HD Footage with the Bixler chasing a 2m wingspan YAK-54:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvd...light-hd_sport

This is my first air-to-air filming video, hope you enjoy it!
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Last edited by SU-4ever; Dec 02, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:51 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
So here's my first recorded FPV flight with my V1 Sky Surfer. I've got a few more coming with some low level stuff thats a little more exciting.

My first recorded FPV video (4 min 17 sec)
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Can someone tell me the best metal gear servos for use in the Bixler 2? and how many should I order including flaps? THANKS!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
Can someone tell me the best metal gear servos for use in the Bixler 2? and how many should I order including flaps? THANKS!
Well I don't know if they are the best but I am starting to use the Hitec HS65MG servos. They are metal and almost the size of the stock Bixler servo. You can get them on ebay for about $25 each. A cheaper version ($20.00) is the HS65HB servo with has a "karbonite" gear. Stronger that plastic gears but not as strong as metal. I would put metal gears on the airlerons(2) and elevator(1). A karbonite on the rudder(1) and a plastic on the flaps(2). Six Servos in total.

Good luck!
farmertom
farmertom is online now Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love fpv View Post
Al - good luck with the plane! Get as much stick time as you can - in preparation for your FPV setup next year....

And don't forget to upgrade the hardware while you're at it! The stock hardware isn't fit for FPV-prime time... ;-)
How about a complete list of the hardware upgrades you mentioned here. I wish to buy this plane from HK and want to order all the necessary upgrades at the same time THANKS!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
How about a complete list of the hardware upgrades you mentioned here. I wish to buy this plane from HK and want to order all the necessary upgrades at the same time
Great idea, I spent hours on HK's website trying to get a package together to go with my b2 kit.

Still not entirely sure i've got the right stuff! Servos really confused me, ended up going for 6 of these: TGY-50090M Metal Gear 9g Analog Servo

Hope they are up the job, will have apm2.5 and fpv on board!

/ns
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsweb View Post
Hi Guys, this is another worth while video. It shows the difference between the standard lens on the Cheaper Sony camera from hobby king, to a wide angle lens from ebay. I think the lens only cost about $5 delivered. The original lens is plastic and has no weight to it at all and the ebay lens has a metal body with glass optics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4TENAVvBZY
This is what we are currently using on the Bixler
Will this lense fit a FatShark camera? If so please provide me the link for the wide lense THANKS!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:51 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Can someone please inform me of the type of plastic some use on their foamy wings and elsewhere for damage protection?. It looks clear almost like a film of some sort.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:26 AM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Can someone please inform me of the type of plastic some use on their foamy wings and elsewhere for damage protection?. It looks clear almost like a film of some sort.
HI,
I use clear packing tape. You can get it at Wal-mart and more. I have moved from the clear tape to the 3M extreme packing tape. It has a weave of fiber and is very good at keep the nose of my Bix2 in fairly good shape. The 3M tape has a slightly yellow color.
farmertom
farmertom is online now Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:02 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Quote:
Search RCGroups for "doculam"
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,864 Posts
Put some more flights today and even made an almost-nocturnal flight
Landing was tricky but flying in B&W was awesome!
It made me feel like a military jet pilot on a raid mission...

I have uploaded the previous video to youtube and I have two more coming

FPV CHASE FLIGHT HD (11 min 8 sec)

Cheers!
Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Servos = buy from a reputable store

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfer View Post
Great idea, I spent hours on HK's website trying to get a package together to go with my b2 kit.

Still not entirely sure i've got the right stuff! Servos really confused me, ended up going for 6 of these: TGY-50090M Metal Gear 9g Analog Servo

Hope they are up the job, will have apm2.5 and fpv on board!

/ns
You are willing to take more risk than I am. Once the electronics on an AC goes above $300, I go for brand name servos, purchased from a US store (not on eBay). For example HeadsupRC (good prices). Servocity has a great assortment but I've not purchased much from them. Tom's RC.

I just found the one I wanted: http://shop.tomsrc.com has excellent prices on electronics. I don't know how they do it, actually.
Here is my reasoning: 1) The "no-name" servos, including every HobbyKing brand, have a poor record of reliability. 2) Buying a good brand, like Hitec, from an anonymous source on eBay is an invitation to get a counterfeit.
So if I wanted to save $, I would get brand X servo but from a reputable US store. Even if they source the servo from China, which they will, their own reputation is on the line and their supplier will know it could lose business by sending them junk.
Brand name servos: above discussion of Hitec servos was good. HS-55 ~$9 is the low end. Fine for any small foamy. HS-65 which is almost the same physical size has twice the power. $20 for the karbonite gear, or $29 for the HS-65MG metal gear (if you shop around). Several dollar's cheaper on Tom's RC, who I have purchased from a bunch.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:03 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Now be fair. Hobbyking's HXT-900s are rebranded Towerpro, and are one of the most trusted servos available. Of course I'd spend a little more on a $300 model, but buying name brand doesn't mean better reliability these days.

Yes, I've had a hxt900 fail. But I've had a HS-65 fail too. Your best bet is to read reviews, not just pay more for name-brand and assume they are better just because you paid more. I use HK 922's when I want higher quality. They are henge servos and they are fantastic for $10
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Last edited by SleepySean; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:53 AM
Lifeguard
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Hey guys,

Two days ago i've 'GoPro' maidened my Bix1. It's been toughened on the wings and fuse with CF strips and rods, the tipical mods.

Please have a look at my video, the jittery flight was because my KK2 with OpenAero wasn't fully configured

First Bixler GoPro flight (9 min 43 sec)
Twiggs is offline Find More Posts by Twiggs