HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
fmkit - check out the begining of this video (speakers on) :

KK2.0 F450 Bye-Bye-Birdie (2 min 38 sec)
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,641 Posts
Hey sharonx, I guess you enjoy carefree VOX beacon while using DL UHF LRS - the beacon goes standby mode as soon as props start spinning, no worries about failsaves.

Starting today shipping new version beacon that combines features of two previous versions (VOX/no-mic) with added digital mode.
User can mix digital(packets) and analog(fading tones) modes, use only analog or only digital
Packets transmitted every second and received w/ special LCD that can read RSSI, beacon voltage as well main battery voltage monitor.
Packet is 4ms long and takes 100mA while transmitted, thus duty cycle is 4/1000= 1/250
then average mA is: 100/250=0.4
now given 300mAh cell we have 300/0.4= 750hours or 31.25 days !
One month operation, 9gram device (incl.battery)
In analog mode range is greater2-4times and operation is limited to 24-36hours (300mAh)
those without special RX can use the beacon usualblockingsignal path with body.
If you got digital RX you can mix the modes to get into near range using walkie-talkie then continue reading 200 counts RSSI.
When in mixed mode one can easili notice 1Hz clicking heard on walkie-talkie that indicates transmitted packet.
Will post video soon.
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Will the battery be able to charge from the Rx via the servo pins?
not yet, wil take 2-3weeks for new version PCB as well digital receiver

the LCD shown in video is telemetry module used with ULink UHF LRS that's why you see mAh and other statistics not related to beacon.

RF beacon v4 digital/analog with VOX and vario input (2 min 19 sec)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Peter - does the new version includes charging the batt. from the main battery ?
also - does it have on/off switch ?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Peter - does the new version includes charging the batt. from the main battery ?
also - does it have on/off switch ?
have you watched above video ? I'm using slide switch to turn on the beacon (0:51),
next version PCB will include charger chip, meanwhile each beacon shipped with 1S Li-Po and adapter cable so you can charge the cell via normal JST connector.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2009
432 Posts
How much do you ask for a beacon?

Thanks
nige838 is offline Find More Posts by nige838
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nige838 View Post
How much do you ask for a beacon?

Thanks
$50

http://www.fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Sorry but I still don't get how this device is used. Basically, it say's that I need a walkie talkie.... what next? What do I do with a walkie-talkie and a downed plane? Could you please post a video that shows how you retrieve a downed plane with this device?

Thanks
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,026 Posts
FMkit is not really that good at explaining how any of his products actually work (or what they even do sometimes) to those of us who are not super technically minded

Basically the beacon transmits 3 tones, each at different power levels. The closer you get, the more tones you hear. You need to block the walkie on one side and turn it until it gets reception then you know whcih way the beacon is.

My big problem is that whn Im within about 100ft of it and theres tall grass, I can not find it. I foudn my tricopter one day by complete accident after i gave up after looking with the walkie for an hour. I was about 100 ft from it in the grass. I walked over it on my way out, thats how I found it. The beacon REALLY needs to make a very loud audible chirp every 3rd time it tones or something. So if you are close you can find it.

FM KIT:

On the beacon with the mic, how long is the beacon delay on the default setting after powering it on?
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:58 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,301 Posts
It works great with the addition of a lost model beeper. It's better than having the beacon do the beeping because we want to preserve the little battery.
Also, if you take a cardboard tube and wrap it in aluminum foil you can use that to weaken the signal when you are close. Tie a string to the walkie, and slowly lower into the tube until you can't hear the last tone. Then you can do your normal body blocking technique with much more accuracy. To adjust signal strength just raise/lower the string. Simple and effective.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
As soon as the version with lipo charger and pwm start is available I wil order.

Lost my sailplane last sunday :-(
Roeland54 is offline Find More Posts by Roeland54
Last edited by Roeland54; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
I have walkie talkie for sale
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post22803540
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
not yet, wil take 2-3weeks for new version PCB as well digital receiver

the LCD shown in video is telemetry module used with ULink UHF LRS that's why you see mAh and other statistics not related to beacon.

http://youtu.be/B-FhbxpAelY
Peter,

1) Where can I get a digital Rx to get the packets and see RSSI?

2) Is it easy to set up, or does it require coding?

3) Is it possible to send GPS data in the packets? How would this be set up?

4) When will you be selling the beacon with the charging circuit?

Toda Raba
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:00 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,641 Posts
I have two new devices ready just haven't updated website and forum

packets receiver/repeater - works best if placed onboard SAR plane, you can cover huge area , the receiver has audio output to connect FPV vid.transmitter and/or can relay RSSI tones to walkie-talkie.
can be used on ground too but digital range not as good as 2way radios, if beacon is flat on the ground digital receiver has to be within ~200m radius to detect packets, then again you have to have walkie-talkie to hear tones or voltmeter to read RSSI.

2nd device is updated beacon, I removed digital option and combined features of two old versions with and without VOX. The beacon can be used normally with startup delay, and interval decay, microphone has no effect.
In VOX mode the beacon outputs clean audio, one can hear on walkie-talkie wind,motor and servos noise, AGC prevents overmodulation. User can set automatic switch over past set delay(same as startup delay), say if entere 1.2 the beacon will start as voice transmitter and switch itself into beacon mode after 50minutes. Code 2.3 keeps microphone running without TX so one can fly with beacon attached to audio input of vid.TX - enjoy regulated gain microphone and past set time the beacon starts to transmit fading tones.
Added 2nd analog input to connect vario or whatever buzzer, when tone is detected microphone muted and walkie-talkie or vid.TX outputs clean tone, I use this scheme for past 3 weeks - very convinient cause my receivers output tones when low.batt or RSSI so don't need OSD anymore.

Last month spent a lot of time testing ifferent versions of beacon and only now is ready to order new PCB w/built-in charger, Latest version analog beacon ship already, it looks just like previous version only couple SMT components added and menu almost match last VOX version.