HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
I was thinking that the neck should have a carbon fiber tube glued inside of it.
Actually it broke where the head connected to the neck.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:22 PM
United States, WA, Oak Harbor
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Ok, I give up. I have struggled with this build from the start and now I am just going to post a picture and ask for help.

My lastest dilemma is typical of my problems. I am working on the body and after reading the manual, looking at all pictures I can find, I still have questions.
Reference the attached picture & Pg 6 Step #5- -
#3 is the top/rear of the body. Just below and to the right of the #3 sticker is the 3/16" "screw hole doubler" (interesting choice of words). My guess is that either #1 or #2 or both are glued to the top of #3?? I doubt this is a critical choice but I would welcome an explanation, please.

#4 I have handled, I think, Ref Step #7

#5 I have no idea where this piece fits? It has a "B" on it indicating bottom someplace, anybody??

I posted these questions to see how they came out and was a test case for my picture posting ability. Thanks in advance. FF
Flysfloats is offline Find More Posts by Flysfloats
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:28 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
I remember scrstching my head on those as well. I will try to look at my finished plane and see if that Sparks any memories
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:34 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,790 Posts
It's been a while but I recall I had one piece left over that I didn't use because it made it too thick. I think #5 is a bottom piece for the middle of the wing. That's the hole where all the wires from the wing goes through and into the body when you put it together to fly.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Thanks guys. I think you are correct about #5 being on the bottom front of the wing, for some reason I couldn't see that but looking at Jim's pics on Pg5 shows it very well and with wires coming out of it.

Post #66 on Page 5 also shows #1&2 , can't really tell if there is two there or not, but again, I don't think it matters.

I wish the plans and descriptions could be updated for those, like me, that might need a bit more guidance. I am looking forward to finishing this project and getting it into the air. I, FINALLY, got a flight in today with my Fun Cub. First air time since October, grrrrrrr. TBC
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:16 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
So the thick piece goes on top of the v tails to help keep them in place. The thin one goes on the bottom of the fuse in the same spot.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Oooops, I got impatient and glued them both on top.

How in the heck is one suppose to know this?

I have dinked around on this thing trying to figure out stuff that I really shouldn't have to think this hard on (hobby is to be enjoyable, not frustrating), so I am pretty much at the stage of saying to heck with it, get the glue ready. I want this flying before I lose my medical!!!!!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:30 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post

When there are 2 pieces that look the same, usually one has a "T" and the other has a "B".
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Yes, that was the case on many other parts, but not these two. I don't think it really matters but time will tell.

My amount of patience is best symbolized by the old picture of a buzzard sitting in a tree and says "Patience my ass, I am going to kill something"!!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysfloats View Post

I have dinked around on this thing trying to figure out stuff that I really shouldn't have to think this hard on (hobby is to be enjoyable, not frustrating), so I am pretty much at the stage of saying to heck with it, get the glue ready. I want this flying before I lose my medical!!!!!
No biggie. Get some balsa stock of the same thickness and use the thinner pieces as a guide to trace around as a pattern, and then cut out your own thicker pieces. You can either sand down or don't worry about it.

Yes, it sounds like this plane could use some detailed instructions.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Breaking News, I finally finished my Pterodactyl!!! Lost total interest in the project for 5 months but finally finished it off and covered it. Looks great from 20ft or so. 2 days ago I had my maiden flight. Nobody else around so I hand launched it myself and had a very stressful 2 minutes of flight. It looked like the CG was a little on the back side despite me adding lead to the beak and then taping on a small amount more to the outside of the beak. Anyway, the bird wanted to climb rather steeply and I had to give a lot of nose down to keep it anywhere near level. At the same time I was trying to run the nose down trim down but I guess I ran out of travel. To sum up, I got a couple of high 360s in before bringing it down for a "landing". Broke the head off and now need to figure out how to graft all those little pieces back together. Next flight will be balanced perfectly and less throw on the control surfaces, sigh, never easy!
Old Sep 27, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,895 Posts
I might suggest gluing a section of carbon fiber rod in the neck to help hold the head on. I'm going to do this myself when I build mine, because I heard the head likes to break off in rough landings. Congrats on the maiden flight, and better success the next time.

Question, was your CG measured at the recommended CG point on the plans? If so, then perhaps your thrust angle of your motors isn't pointing down enough. Did it glide okay with power off? That would be a strong indicator that that's the cause. Might want to check and adjust your thrust angles on your motors.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,790 Posts
Yup, the head on mine snapped off too on a rough landing. Lots of hot glue and it's back on. I've been much better at landing this thing and have not had any problems since.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
I have pretty good sized fingers and I put my index fingers under the main spar, per plan. The plane balance "ok" but within 1/8", I don't know. In hindsight I would be much more careful.

A bit of confession, my "landing" was actually a power off almost out of sight arrival on a soccer field. The plane had gotten to far away from me and was gyrating big time. I thought it was getting close to a chain link fence and trees so I cut the power. When I went looking for the plane I couldn't find it and then I turned around and looked back towards where I was standing while flying. About 150 ft away was the body. I was surprised that more damage wasn't done.

Motor thrust vector isn't something I have considered, yet. I am not sure how I would attach a carbon fiber tube? I basically have a small box structure on the neck and the head that needs to be grafted back together.

I do think that the next flight will give me some pleasure, there is certainly potential for some. The first flight or two of almost any plane I have built is usually an adventure, gulp. TBC. FF
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:59 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,790 Posts
1/8" isn't going to make a lot of difference. That can easily be trimmed away during cruising speed flight.
Use small diameter CF tubing (2mm or so). Measure approx length needed, drill hole in neck if necessary and install 2 or 3 rods with hot glue, CA or epoxy. If there isn't a handy place on the interior for the rods, install them on the outside. The rods act only as reinforcement. You still have to glue the head on.
BTW, the color you used is not very visible in the air. Mine is lime green and you can't miss it.