HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:26 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
721 Posts
Discussion
Drones,Black Helicopters,UAV's,and UFO's

I'm far from the "sharpest tool in the shed" but I can't help but think there are couple of dissimilar items being lumped together here.

First: We have bottom dollar beginner Quads with a 15 minute flight duration. Intrusive to the average citizen,however little more than a nuisance.

Secondly: We have numerous commercial airliners spotting "Drones" at 2,000-4,000'. I don't know about todays pilots but I spent 20 years in the "front of the Bus" looking for "stuff" and unless it's really large or really close it's very difficult to spot visually. Which leads me to believe that there there are some rather large ,very expensive, state of the art UAV's out there and nobody is claiming to be flying them.

The people being "apprehended" and "fined" are by no means flying aircraft capable of being flown at altitude or beyond line of sight. But these guys have the equipment to get high enough to scare the big boys

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41096/...der/index.html

and so do these guys

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/1...ary-flights-us

I'm not into the whole "black helicopter" thing but it seems as though these guys could be the ones giving RC guys the bad rep in the national news stories
allanp is offline Find More Posts by allanp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:09 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Maybe the drones are a smoke screen put up by the aliens to cloud their existence.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:30 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Maybe the drones are a smoke screen put up by the aliens to cloud their existence.

Ryan
Okay,you tell us what the commercial boys are spotting at altitude ???? It was on NBC last night and it's on the Orlando news right now. Three instances occurring in the vicinity of JFK in the last 4 days
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/faa-inve...s-jfk-airport/

Notice the altitude
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:32 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
721 Posts
Remember the RC community is getting blamed for this
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:33 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanp View Post
Okay,you tell us what the commercial boys are spotting at altitude ????
Sorry I was just making a joke. I think you have a pretty decent point.

Ryan
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:39 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
721 Posts
Okay,it does sound a little paranoid.... I just don't think the average flier can put together that type of machine without major $$$$$$
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:15 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanp View Post
Okay,it does sound a little paranoid.... I just don't think the average flier can put together that type of machine without major $$$$$$
Yeah that seems a bit suspect I agree.

Ryan
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:40 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
The only possible way to fly a "drone" to that altitude is by FPV. It is simply not possible to accurately see one at that altitude from the ground such that it could be controlled.

I can't help but wonder if there are some idiot FPV pilots out there trying to capture some air to air video of commercial aircraft.

I don't have all the answers, but the media reporting some of these obviously exaggerated tales certainly does not help our hobby in general.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:46 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,218 Posts
Perhaps these are made up or encouraged stories by some group that would like to discredit the hobby.

Ryan
Old Today, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2013
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Perhaps these are made up or encouraged stories by some group that would like to discredit the hobby.

Ryan
Or someone in the gov't saw a cash cow licensing program and they need to show a reason why the licenses are needed?
5 oclock charlie is offline Find More Posts by 5 oclock charlie
Old Today, 06:39 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 oclock charlie View Post
Or someone in the gov't saw a cash cow licensing program and they need to show a reason why the licenses are needed?

Or maybe we actually need a licensing program to keep the yahoos from destroying the hobby. I used to be in the amateur radio hobby and licensing worked very well there for a multitude of reasons, including setting goals to work for....just my 2 cents (and worth every penny).
Rayven is online now Find More Posts by Rayven