HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:19 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,120 Posts
Discussion
motor specs

I need a motor similar to the Great plains GPMG4725 which is described as 42mm dia X 60mm long, 800kv. Do we have anything here in e-zone that lists motor specs and where to buy. Trying to go through HK motor specs causes a drinking problem. Who has what?
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:16 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
its not hard to browse HK. GPMG4725 motor weight is 268g. for 42mm size, look at HK outrunners 35-44mm. pick a similar weight motor - that should get you close on the watts. may not get you the type of cell count or kv you want but you can browse till you find something suitable. like this guy: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0kv_1300w.html a bit longer, heavier, and less kv, but should do the job. prop appropriately.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:51 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,221 Posts
From the HK front page look for the motor finder, or when looking at any motor, use the compare feaure.

You can start with as few criteria as you want, Kv being the most obvious, but the next one I would use would be weight. There are 21 motors with Kv between 770 and 830. And 1 motor in that Kv range and weight between 250 and 290g (the GP motor is 270g).

Another good way to browse motors is eCalc, which shows the Kv beside every motor, regardless of how it is labelled. Doesn't take too long to get a feel for what's what
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:44 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,859 Posts
Several motor selection options in this database, with more realistic numbers then HK:
Sticky: Motor Data - test bench data for several hundred brushless motors.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
From the HK front page look for the motor finder, or when looking at any motor, use the compare feaure.
why do i always do things the hard way and think of it as the easy way?

thank you, sir. this will be very useful to me in the future.

ps - how would i find this link by browsing? can you advise? i find it easier to remember processes (like browsing to a specific page) - not very good at remembering what i have bookmarked.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 02:52 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
why do i always do things the hard way and think of it as the easy way?

thank you, sir. this will be very useful to me in the future.

ps - how would i find this link by browsing? can you advise? i find it easier to remember processes (like browsing to a specific page) - not very good at remembering what i have bookmarked.
1. On the Hobby King home page, in the right column about 1/3 down there is a motor, lipo and servo finder. The title changes from lipo to servo to motor as you mouse over it.

2. Whenever you select any motor on the HK site, there is a big Compare box under the motor picture in the product config table. It goes to the same page as the motor finder link on the home page
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 10, 2014, 04:11 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
i see both now. thanks for the walkthrough.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,120 Posts
Yes, and when you ask for 800kv for a 42mm motor the lowest kv's that they show are all in the 3000 range. HK is sometime like apples and oranges and with me being 74 years old, I frustrate easily.

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:22 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,004 Posts
HI
Cobra C3525/10 (good quality)
weight 253g
Kv 780 rpm/V
by Innov8tiveDesigns
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:44 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,120 Posts
Went with the Cobra. I knew about Scorpion, but did not know about Cobra. I've done business with Innov8tive before and I really liked all of the motor/prop/cell information provided as part of the specifications. HK could learn a lot just by looking at the site.

Thanks for all of the input/suggestions.