HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:01 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Discussion
Help to Make a foam glider wing

Hello I have recently aquired a MRC Young Star glider. Problem is it doesnt have a wing so i was thinking about making my own. Now I've thought abput this and there are two major ways of going about and doing this.

1. Going to Home Depot and getting a sheet of like 2 inch foam and cutting/shaping the airfoil myself. Then putting carbon fiber for strength.

2. Making a foamboard Wing like FliteTest does with their Planes. Also with Carbon Fiber. Building a wing like this one http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-simple-soarer-build

Any help would be appreciated.
dmtuska_co is online now Find More Posts by dmtuska_co
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:30 AM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
639 Posts
At least we need the weight of the fuselage (with servos, batterie, rx) and the planned size of the wing (root/tip chord and span).
Foam wings are typical made by the "hot-wire" technique, because this is the way to get a good airfoil quality. Cutting/shaping will not work. If not hot-wire then try the foamboard (Depron) method.
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:47 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,123 Posts
I just watched Curtis Suter's guide to cutting and bagging foam wings and his method for making wings using foam, glass cloth and Polycrylic seems very viable to me, especially if you're only going to do a few wings and don't want to invest in vacuum equipment.

Everything you need is in that video- I recommend that you check it out if you can.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner View Post
At least we need the weight of the fuselage (with servos, batterie, rx) and the planned size of the wing (root/tip chord and span).
Foam wings are typical made by the "hot-wire" technique, because this is the way to get a good airfoil quality. Cutting/shaping will not work. If not hot-wire then try the foamboard (Depron) method.
I cant give you the weight of the fuselage yet i dont have it atm (still shipping)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
I just watched Curtis Suter's guide to cutting and bagging foam wings and his method for making wings using foam, glass cloth and Polycrylic seems very viable to me, especially if you're only going to do a few wings and don't want to invest in vacuum equipment.

Everything you need is in that video- I recommend that you check it out if you can.
Thank you i will look him up
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
I pulled my garage apart to get to my YS. Here's some info for you about the wing. WS 62.375. Root 6.25 tip is 3.5 and the thickness is at least an inch at thee root. Me think's a 15% Clark Y would do it. here's a couple photo's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I pulled my garage apart to get to my YS. Here's some info for you about the wing. WS 62.375. Root 6.25 tip is 3.5 and the thickness is at least an inch at thee root. Me think's a 15% Clark Y would do it. here's a couple photo's.
And yet again thank you Prodjx. Very helpful
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
Here's a piece of data I forgot dihedral. 3inches under each wing as there is a center section that is basically flat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2014, 01:43 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
dmtuska, just how handy are you? I may have some cores that you could try. They are RG-15 airfoil. Are you familiar with Chatfield or Zion/Lookout?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Nov 04, 2014, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
dmtuska, just how handy are you? I may have some cores that you could try. They are RG-15 airfoil. Are you familiar with Chatfield or Zion/Lookout?
Im pretty handy could modify some things if pointed in the correct direction. And yes I am familiar.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,843 Posts
An RG-15 on a Young Star may give it mach capability I don't know if the fuse and tail group could handle the load.LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
62 Posts
Hey prodjx does the youngstar have a battery in the nose? Im thinking that's what it is but im not sure. I finally got mine