HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,766 Posts
Depends on the wheel/disk.

I have used lots of things with buttons, a DX8 and a couple of Multiplex transmitters - and I'm an older guy.

The Multiplex disk adjustor is far and away my favourite system. It separates the push and the rotation axis very clearly. Gives you very rapid access through complex hierarchical menus while keeping a very discrete selection process.

Everyone will have their own views - just don't put a touch screen on it please! Touch screens are great for complex positional info, sealing the device from the outside environment, and (the main reason) keeping the manufacturing cost down since you can do all the design and configuration in software and change your mind afterwards when you didn't do it properly the first time. They are poor for choosing between discrete options if screen real estate is limited. Ask anyone with less than perfect eyesight and hand control who has to type on a smartphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
I hate wheels! I have a hard time making them turn WITHOUT pressing hard enough to activate the switch!! Older guys can relate to this I'm sure.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:33 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
I have a A9, T8J, FF6, 9XR, Optic 6, also used DX8.

By far my favourite is the A9. If you want to change an option, just tap it. No scrolling back and forth missing it, or wondering if you can change it. Just tap it! If it doesn't select, then its not a changeable option. Also I like the fact that its a resistive touch screen as well, as a capacitance screens (i.e. modern smartphones - iPhone, etc) you can't use through a lot of gloves without modding them.

But then as Wayne shows, not everyone likes a touch screen...

However this does show that everyone is different and that not everyone can be satisfied.

I don't like spinney things, I tend to spin past them too often and it annoys me. Also you can either have the turning thing too hard or too soft. I do think the T8J joystick is pretty easy to use though...

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I have a A9, T8J, FF6, 9XR, Optic 6, also used DX8.

By far my favourite is the A9. If you want to change an option, just tap it. No scrolling back and forth missing it, or wondering if you can change it. Just tap it! If it doesn't select, then its not a changeable option. Also I like the fact that its a resistive touch screen as well, as a capacitance screens (i.e. modern smartphones - iPhone, etc) you can't use through a lot of gloves without modding them.

But then as Wayne shows, not everyone likes a touch screen...

However this does show that everyone is different and that not everyone can be satisfied.

I don't like spinney things, I tend to spin past them too often and it annoys me. Also you can either have the turning thing too hard or too soft. I do think the T8J joystick is pretty easy to use though...

Si.
+1 Simon. I have the A9 and a few Evo's and my son has the DX8. I can't stand using the DX8 when I'm programming it for him because of that slippery chrome plated (what a dumb idea) rotating drum. I'm always pushing it in too far while trying to rotate it and selecting the wrong screens. And yes I know all about rotating it from the bottom and pushing it in from the top. Doesn't help, especially when the weather gets a little cooler and the humidity levels drop and the dried out skin on my fingers can't get a grip! There is nothing better than the big touch screen of the A9 hands down!
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:23 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Depends on the wheel/disk.

I have used lots of things with buttons, a DX8 and a couple of Multiplex transmitters - and I'm an older guy.
When my hands are just a little cold I can't roll the roller side to side unless I put pressure on the roller and then I have to be real carefull that I don't push to hard 'cause then I press down and switch between screens. Dry skin just does not work well. At least for me.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:17 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,766 Posts
Agree 100%. The roller and the wheel are totally different in action. The Multiplex wheel is moved by the rim so there is no force pushing it down. Then you can move your finger/thumb over and press it without rotating it. In practice it is very quick, particularly if you are moving through a long list of values or accurately adjusting a % scale. IMO touch screens are not good for that.

The roller relies completely on you being able to judge the force against the spring between rolling and pressing even if you do roll the "non-moving" end. Doesn't separate the adjust and select actions as well as a wheel. Quite different in practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
When my hands are just a little cold I can't roll the roller side to side unless I put pressure on the roller and then I have to be real carefull that I don't push to hard 'cause then I press down and switch between screens. Dry skin just does not work well. At least for me.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
Look to some of the nicer digital cameras for really nice selectors. Heck, even the cheap Casio I have sitting on my desk has a nice simple selector that works well.. No spinning, it is an outer ring that is 4 position buttons and an inner button in the center. Simple and easy. sometimes simple is best.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
147 Posts
Well, digital camera is different. There is some menu with just a few items and every item has just a few options.

On the other hand, in transmitter you often set values -150..+150 %. That's a lot of click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, ... Sure, you can push and hold. a) it does not speed up = takes too long, b) it does speed up = you are going to overshot (with bad acceleration value, you can overshot several times). With rotational encoder, you are not waiting (getting the "everything takes too long" feeling), you are active (in control) and given you can rotate it with different speeds (different increment), you don't have to click (rotate) like crazy.

So I prefer rotation encoder, but I can live with buttons too. Best option - rotating ring (no push) with push button in the middle (no rotation).

It seems, that to make as all happy, FrSky has to put touch screen on X16D, but with sw that allows to configure everything without touching the screen. Just using standard buttons or encoder - with both of them present. I guess not everyone will be happy
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:44 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
What? No mouse option?

Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
laptop touchpad mandatory
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,260 Posts
Yes, on your laptop connected through a USB cable

I only make "urgent" fixes in the field (ie never).

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:14 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
I'd also like a fold out, full sized keyboard on the back with one of those little jiysticks built into it. :P
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:43 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,737 Posts
And don't forget the hot drinks dispenser, essential in this weather

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,625 Posts
Bluetooth and a Siri counterpart so I can talk to the tx
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
Me: "Hello Siri, please reduce expo on the elevator by 20%."
Siri: "Did you say turn off power?"
Me: "NO!"
Siri: "Turning off power. (in a very low voice) I never liked that plane... It had a bad attitude."
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:49 PM
Total Newbie
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
491 Posts
Hi guys
Just wanted to ask If we can still expect the March release date for the X9D to be reliable and accurate?
jkishan16 is online now Find More Posts by jkishan16
Closed Thread