HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
Still have the stock motors and I lucked out, the camera made it through the crash without damage. I've ordered this battery:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Seemed like a decent deal.
Here's a video I shot with mine today using a 720p keychain camera. My F45 has the EH200 brushless main motor and high performance blades. I get pretty stable video with this setup and with the higher performance motor and blades I also get much better wind handling ability. The only big issue now is the tail motors fail from time-to-time and that's quite dangerous if you fly in areas where you might crash into streets, homes, or people etc.

Flying in the Valley (Fixed Pitch F45 Helicopter) (5 min 31 sec)
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Still have the stock motors and I lucked out, the camera made it through the crash without damage. I've ordered this battery:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Seemed like a decent deal.
I evaluated this battery a few days ago. Perhaps mine was defective, but it did not perform well. Helicopter response was lessened, battery lasted less than 4 minutes and was extremely hot (too hot to touch) at flight termination. Found best response for 7 minutes flight (stock motors) from nanotech 2000mah lipos from Hobby King. Have two birds and 4 nanotechs. They require simple modifications to battery tray and possible lengthening of power leads if the wires are too close to the tray. Takes about 15 minutes to mod.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:57 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2012
197 Posts
The videos downloaded are in avi format and I didn't change them. I first download the
files and the n upload to YouTube.

Valerio
166Valerio is offline Find More Posts by 166Valerio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Nieuwegein
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Here's a video I shot with mine today using a 720p keychain camera. My F45 has the EH200 brushless main motor and high performance blades. I get pretty stable video with this setup and with the higher performance motor and blades I also get much better wind handling ability. The only big issue now is the tail motors fail from time-to-time and that's quite dangerous if you fly in areas where you might crash into streets, homes, or people etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXX-g0amaig&hd=1
Nice flight Rexless, you have good flying skills and i see allso no hobling or bouncing.

Nice area to fly to, most time a have to fly between things or drive somewhere ellse but most time there is something close to watch out for.
eminemin is offline Find More Posts by eminemin
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,520 Posts
Thanks em! Most of the places I fly are within a 2 minute drive (often a 2 minute walk) from my home which is nice. I try to find new locations so I can see what it's like to fly in different circumstances while offering some different views in my videos. Right outside my house is ok but there are a lot of big trees and often strange wind currents that make it a bit tricky to do thinks like big smooth circles or figure 8's etc. The other night I was flying in a field near the house. It was very dark so I had my new tail lights on for navigation but I still managed to get the orientation messed up and fly it into a tree. Busted the blades and destroyed the balance bar. +1 for spares
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Nieuwegein
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
yeah crasht my heli allso number of times but still enjoy this so much and most time with some minor fixes you pickit up and fly allong. Thats the nice thing about this heli.

You know i started this hobby long time ago with nitro helicopters but crashing that was most time a damage started around € 500,- , after 1 crash my joy was quickly gone and al that left was a € 2000,- helicopter total loss.

Recently after 7 years a repaired this helicopter but still i dont feel like flying the bird anymore...

This is more fun
eminemin is offline Find More Posts by eminemin
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Just so you're aware, if you go the nano-tech route you'll have to mod the battery tray, but I don't think that'll be a problem for you. .
I'm not mounting the battery in the stock location anyway. As long as the weight is within 5-10 grams, I think I should be fine.
Twelvizm is offline Find More Posts by Twelvizm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Quote:
HK is Hong Kong. You'd have to wait a while for delivery, but if you're not in a hurry...
That's where I was confused. I knew HK was Hong Kong, but wasn't sure if HK was also short for something "hobby-specific".

It's seems it's also short for Hobby King. Thanks for the link Zarrick. I was hoping to get off the hook and not buy a solder station. But, since I have to change connectors..... Looks like something to add to the Xmas wish list.

The wife is getting impatient. 6 helis in 2 months, even cheap ones, get's the purse strings attention.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladicopter View Post
Dear twelvizm.
Feel you pain it was scarry to watch your video!
Just interesting how long is your experience flying helicopters.
Honestly wind was not looking that strong i saw heli was roking few times but that was it...
Would it be possible your center of gravity was not set properly?or swashplate so you did not have enough movement of it to tilt the helicopter?
About 2 months and 5 progressively more complicated helis worth of experience. Not a lot really. I grew up with having r/c cars and a handful of planes. Never considered helicopters until I wanted to use them to shoot video.

If you consider the beginning of the flight, it's pretty smooth, stable and balanced. While climbing, you can notably see small gusts shake the heli and get worse at full height.

Since I'm learning, I wasn't very proficient at trouble shooting my way out of that situation. After reviewing the video a couple dozen times, I've figured out where my biggest mistake was. I should have ignored that the wind's speed exceeded the heli's max forward speed and cut power to the main rotor, lowering altitude and sacrificing the further drift. I would have gotten out of the higher elevation winds, then flown my way back at a much lower height.

My error was trying to fly back to my location, at height. :faceplam:

Lesson learned the hard way.

I'm glad I was turned onto this forum so that I can read up and learn from other people's experiences. The hardway can get expensive, even with cheaper birds.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
About 2 months and 5 progressively more complicated helis worth of experience. Not a lot really. I grew up with having r/c cars and a handful of planes. Never considered helicopters until I wanted to use them to shoot video.

If you consider the beginning of the flight, it's pretty smooth, stable and balanced. While climbing, you can notably see small gusts shake the heli and get worse at full height.

Since I'm learning, I wasn't very proficient at trouble shooting my way out of that situation. After reviewing the video a couple dozen times, I've figured out where my biggest mistake was. I should have ignored that the wind's speed exceeded the heli's max forward speed and cut power to the main rotor, lowering altitude and sacrificing the further drift. I would have gotten out of the higher elevation winds, then flown my way back at a much lower height.

My error was trying to fly back to my location, at height. :faceplam:

Lesson learned the hard way.

I'm glad I was turned onto this forum so that I can read up and learn from other people's experiences. The hardway can get expensive, even with cheaper birds.
This happens quite often to me. Did you perform the servo exchange mod to get a little more throw out of the elevator? Also the trick is to drop the heli down by lowering throttle. Then push the forward hard while giving it throttle and you will start moving forward in the wind. I've taken mine really high about as far as you can go while still seeing it with my built in cam. I'll try to post a vid. I don't attempt these super high flights if there is too much wind, but it didn't seem like there was much wind at all. Of course it always gets a tad bit windy up high.

Max
mkipness is offline Find More Posts by mkipness
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,774 Posts
Quote:
That's where I was confused. I knew HK was Hong Kong, but wasn't sure if HK was also short for something "hobby-specific".

It's seems it's also short for Hobby King....
Another case of my eyes and my fingers not waiting for the brain to catch up

Quote:
...The wife is getting impatient. 6 helis in 2 months, even cheap ones, get's the purse strings attention.
Tell me about it. Been flying for about 6 weeks and have heli #5 on the way. Just as well we have separate bank accounts, and I give HER the shopping money
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Another case of my eyes and my fingers not waiting for the brain to catch up

Tell me about it. Been flying for about 6 weeks and have heli #5 on the way. Just as well we have separate bank accounts, and I give HER the shopping money
You guys can always check into rehab. They have wonderful programs for addictions nowadays. I need to. I was just looking at my eleventh Heli, but did not press the buy button.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
You guys can always check into rehab. They have wonderful programs for addictions nowadays. I need to. I was just looking at my eleventh Heli, but did not press the buy button.
What happened Brent, did the wife slam the piano on your fingers?
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
What happened Brent, did the wife slam the piano on your fingers?
Wouldn't be my fingers she would be slamming it on.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Starting in R/C Helicopters
Brazil, MT, Juara
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
I see it only has a connector for the ESC, in case if I want to turn the engine back on Brushless also need another ESC? If yes, where I turn it on? If not, where will bind the motor?
Junior Basilio is offline Find More Posts by Junior Basilio