HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
Discussion
EXI450 Pro vrs Align 450 pro

The EXI is a clone of the Align 450 at 70 dollars and nothing but good reviews.

The Align 450 is 410 dollars, includes an ESC and motor, but what makes it so much more money than the EXI? better blades, ball bearing ball links?

What is it?

I just can't fathom spending 410 dollars on a ARF 450 bird. The radio is an additional 200 or more figured...plus gyro 120-200 bucks, better metal gear servos(not cheap) Close to 800 dollars into a 450 bird that is essentially the same as the EXI 450 clone that can be bulit for.... 350?? fully loaded?

What is better about the Align version? I heard the EXI flies just as well.
EricOnTheWeb is offline Find More Posts by EricOnTheWeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
I even heard everything that fits on the Align will fit the EXI perfectly.....hmmmmm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 AM
Go Navy!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2009
442 Posts
I have never owned a trex but I have a EXI 450. Since I have never owned a trex I see it as any other brand name. You pay for the brand name and the gaurantee that it is a great product.

Other than that, I love my EXI and it flys beautifully.

EXI 450 (1 min 31 sec)
Opie420 is offline Find More Posts by Opie420
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
The Align 450 Pro has better made main drive gears, hardware is better etc. I have flown Align 450's, and I own 2 EXI-450 Pros plus I have an EXI plastic version for a project bird. There's NOTHING wrong with the EXI, it flys well. If you use good servos, ESC, motor, gyro, it would be HARD to tell the difference watching them both fly at the same time.....go with that....
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
I guess one gets the illusion that a "clone" of a higher end model wouldn't be worth anything. However it has been proven to me that the EXI is damn fine and worth it.

I just received my 15 piece EXI toolkit and it's all good stuff. 15 tools and an aluminum case fo r24 bucks...I was expecting junk, but it's all good stuff. Tore apart my Esky Dauphin last night with ease with those tools.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:44 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
646 Posts
From the review ive read in some portions the clones maybe better then the Align, For instance look at clubheli.com 450 fb/fbl pro for 99 bucks you cant beat it! it comes with upgrades out of the box such as the carbon fiber Torque tube and metal servo mount. Im in the process of a pro v1 clubheli build and a ALZRC pro V2 build. I have bought all the hop ups, MH bearing blocks, metal tail boom suppert, metal anti rotation holder, metal canopy holder, RJX clone head, pertty much everything that i could find. im trying to build 2 helis but between the 2 i probably have 500.00 into them.
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
From the review ive read in some portions the clones maybe better then the Align, For instance look at clubheli.com 450 fb/fbl pro for 99 bucks you cant beat it! it comes with upgrades out of the box such as the carbon fiber Torque tube and metal servo mount. Im in the process of a pro v1 clubheli build and a ALZRC pro V2 build. I have bought all the hop ups, MH bearing blocks, metal tail boom suppert, metal anti rotation holder, metal canopy holder, RJX clone head, pertty much everything that i could find. im trying to build 2 helis but between the 2 i probably have 500.00 into them.

I had a look.... Torque Tube carbon fiber, aluminum tail, pro frame(carbon) Flybarless, metal servo mount......

Wow...It has my interest. Same as the EXI but a lot more....not to mention fly barless... Hmmmm

Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOnTheWeb View Post
The Align 450 is 410 dollars, includes an ESC and motor, but what makes it so much more money than the EXI? better blades, ball bearing ball links?

What is it?
Quality.

People don't particularly like this fact, but quality is wicked expensive. If you look at any product where there is a range of quality, you'll find that there's some items which are 'suitable for the purpose' and very little beyond that, and you'll find some items of excellent quality. If you compare the prices, usually the items of excellent quality are 5 to 10 times as expensive, not the 10-20% more expensive that it really "feels like" you should be paying.

Examples:
Gas station sunglasses $10 - Good sunglasses that will last many years - $200.
Jeans from Wal-mart - $15 - Designer jeans that fit perfectly and will last a long time - $100
Swatch - $50 - Rolex $As-much-as-you-want-to-pay (but maybe $2000 for a basic Rolex)

Quality on a product usually means making hundreds of tiny improvements - this is wicked expensive, not just in management and production time, but also in marketing, research, and quality control. It's just something you have to accept.

The Align product is of higher quality - but you should decide for yourself if that quality is worth the cost to you. That is hard to do when you can't experience both products for a long period of time. Keep in mind that while the initial cost is higher, the cost of owning a high quality product is often much lower.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,448 Posts
Oh also... keep in mind that the users of high quality products often overestimate the quality of those products because they spent a lot of money. And, the users of the lower quality products often overestimate the quality of those products because they saved a lot of money

jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Quality.

People don't particularly like this fact, but quality is wicked expensive. If you look at any product where there is a range of quality, you'll find that there's some items which are 'suitable for the purpose' and very little beyond that, and you'll find some items of excellent quality. If you compare the prices, usually the items of excellent quality are 5 to 10 times as expensive, not the 10-20% more expensive that it really "feels like" you should be paying.

Examples:
Jeans from Wal-mart - $15 - Designer jeans that fit perfectly and will last a long time - $100
Swatch - $50 - Rolex $As-much-as-you-want-to-pay (but maybe $2000 for a basic Rolex)

Quality on a product usually means making hundreds of tiny improvements - this is wicked expensive, not just in management and production time, but also in marketing, research, and quality control. It's just something you have to accept.

The Align product is of higher quality - but you should decide for yourself if that quality is worth the cost to you. That is hard to do when you can't experience both products for a long period of time. Keep in mind that while the initial cost is higher, the cost of owning a high quality product is often much lower.
Word for word jasmine you are 100% correct. I wanted to comment on this thread earlier but we all know how the align vs. yet another clone war's get started. I own two clones and two align's And it really does come down to like you said "QUALITY". My aligns Not only fly better but even sound better. Clones do have ther place in the hobby and fill a very nice niche. I for one am glad they are around. But give me a choice and I'm pro align, Soon to be guai x7 lover.
Gemini-550 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini-550
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Quality.

Examples:

Well if you look at both price tags 70 bucks for an EXI pro and 200 plus for an Align 450....something has to be better about the Align.

I imagine better bearings, harder gears straighter shafts ect ect, bu tit seems the EXI flies great too and for the price, good forl earners and intermediate as well as scale projects.

When I can tic toc and go inverted with an EXI all day without crashes...I may consider geting an Align....not now though... Watching a 600 dollar plus 450 heli crash....would break my heart

I have a hard enough time watching my blades on my 130 dollar RTF HBK2 hit anything....
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
282 Posts
I hear ya bro. This to was my exact thinking when I went into clones first. Wher I went wrong was putting the more expensive electronics into them. So when all said and done it was like I was only a few dollars off from having a brand name like align. So I guess To be on the safe side and keep the overall cost down go with the b-grade electronics as well. Oh who knows. lol. I like em all. But when you get your crashing days behind you. Treat yourself to a brand name. You will notice the diffrence from the get go.
Gemini-550 is offline Find More Posts by Gemini-550
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2die4 View Post
I hear ya bro. This to was my exact thinking when I went into clones first. Wher I went wrong was putting the more expensive electronics into them. So when all said and done it was like I was only a few dollars off from having a brand name like align. So I guess To be on the safe side and keep the overall cost down go with the b-grade electronics as well. Oh who knows. lol. I like em all. But when you get your crashing days behind you. Treat yourself to a brand name. You will notice the diffrence from the get go.
Yepp I hear you.

When I get advanced and know what I am talking about, I'll try a high end chopper.

Right now with how well the clones fly and you can do anything the Align can combined with the very low cost...makes them extremely attractive.
They aren't junk though... The EXI I hear nothing but good things about it.

I want to get one where the battery fits on top rather than on the bottom in a compartment. Esky screwed up by doing that with the HoneyBee and Belt-CP.... Limited size batteries can be used.

I'm 95% sure I will be getting an EXI next week...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
OOOOHHH GOD!!! you didnt start one of these threads!!!! theres thousands of these threads full of arguing fan boys protecting there $410 wasted by going on about how they think the quality of the align helis is so much better (yeh right) when they are just pissed off they didnt buy the same product for $150 RTF!!!
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Dec 2008
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangamatchstic View Post
OOOOHHH GOD!!! you didnt start one of these threads!!!! theres thousands of these threads full of arguing fan boys protecting there $410 wasted by going on about how they think the quality of the align helis is so much better (yeh right) when they are just pissed off they didnt buy the same product for $150 RTF!!!

Starting an E-war was not my intension