HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:08 AM
Joined Jul 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Thanks Niall!

So I will certainly keep reading till I'm 100% through this massive thread... but do you folks think I'll have the ingredients for a good quad if I order the following bits? I'm just DYING to get this started but I can't afford to make a poorly calculated mistake in parts ordering. If I botch my solder job, that's different... but motors & such cost too much to replace out of hand.

I think that's everything.... I really want to get this project off the ground before hunting season starts here (2 months) because it'd be a HIT with the family and we hunt in a pretty scenic part of our area and it'd be just great to see it from the sky. My easystar is on standby and will be coming along, but hover and vertical takeoff are aspects the EZ* just can't duplicate. I know that's asking a lot, especially when I'm ordering most of my stuff from hobbyking, but gotta stay under/on budget!

Once I get the aircraft working properly, I'll be adding my FPV rig to it, which at the moment is a CCD killer camera, remzibi OSD, and a .5w 900mhz tx. Any FPV'ers here have experience with placing the antenna somewhere it doesn't cause mayhem with the other electronics? I really don't want to make a faraday cage for the board!

So, please weigh in folks, I'm trying to run before I walk. I might be ok, but hopefully if I have a mistake here, someone will see it.

Thanks!
spag
Newbie question : I see the motor max is 17A, is there any specific reason why you put 25A ESC on your list?
I'm also creating my own list so I need some direction here
skye is offline Find More Posts by skye
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:23 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,582 Posts
Jakub, you still have the quad frame in stock?

How much will fast shipping be to South Africa?
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Aug 06, 2010, 04:01 AM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
An amazing flying platform! Can you post a few pics of how you have your camera mounted? Do you fly FPV? If so, where do you put your transmitter?

here are 2 pics of how i mounted the cam http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3391585
professional, isnt it?
i dont fly fpv. its expensive due i have to buy 5.8ghz gear because im flying with a 2.4ghz system. other fpv systems with 900mhz or 1.3ghz are not allowed in germany

markus
warthox is offline Find More Posts by warthox
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:07 AM
France
France, Picardie, Angy
Joined Apr 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Newbie question : I see the motor max is 17A, is there any specific reason why you put 25A ESC on your list?
Maybe because 18-20A are not in stock and for some bucks more ,you get 25A.

My first test was done with towerpro H40 40A because only those in my personal stock... i change with Supersimple 25-30A because half price and good result , i can say that the quadri is more responsive with the same settings.

My motor turnigy 2217 860kv 22A.
I orders 10 days ago some Emax 2822 1200kv , still in transit...
fpv4ever is offline Find More Posts by fpv4ever
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:08 AM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
You're probably going to tell me next that you do preflight checks!
of course, exactly the same way you would with any aircraft.
It basic security for your aircraft and the people that may be UNDER it (another basic security rule being to never fly over or next to people).

Bob
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Old Aug 06, 2010, 05:15 AM
Joined May 2010
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Here's a quick preview of my 3rd KK quad copter build. I'm hoping the new 1100Kv 35g Mystery motors will be much more stable.

The arms are 1/2" square basswood strips with 5/8" U-channel aluminum to provide a smooth mounting surface and enable tilting the front & rear motors.
Very neat build Patrick. Looks good. Is it heavy?
Niall is offline Find More Posts by Niall
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:26 AM
Member FPV UK
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Apr 2010
729 Posts
Thanks to everyone

Really more of a proof of concept for me, but here is the Maiden test flights of my T Tricopter.

First lift is just the the KK controller only doing all the work, and the second segment is with the FY-20A added to the system.

Not fully balanced out so not the best demo, but as I say a proof of concept for me anyway. Still some setup and balancing to be done, but not bad for my first from scratch build.

T Copter Maiden Test Flight (5 min 4 sec)

Mike.
IWCoburg is offline Find More Posts by IWCoburg
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzky View Post
Hi! Is your cnc homebuilt?? If so...any pics?

/Z CNCwannabee
My CNC is a Fanuc Robodrill so it is not homebuilt. I use the CNC in my business so it was pretty handy to have it while machining parts for the quad

Justin
cncguns is offline Find More Posts by cncguns
Old Aug 06, 2010, 09:24 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,662 Posts
Simon,
And of course post flight checks A checklist is strongly recommend for serious and safe AVP flying. Kick the tires and light the fires flying is for sport flyers who like to keep rebuilding Example: UAVX flight safety checklist: http://code.google.com/p/uavp-mods/w...lightChecklist Please feel free to mod it for you own model and flying
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM View Post
You guys are just way too smart and practical for me. Forward planning ... analysis ... log books ... keeping track of things ... remembering things - now that's the tough one for me!

I tend just to fly and be dammed

You're probably going to tell me next that you do preflight checks!

Simon
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:22 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Dec 2005
45 Posts
X style Hex

I know this board is capable of flying a hexacopter. From what I have seen, it is configured to fly in a + style/motor arrangement. Is it possible to fly using the X motor arrangement like a quad equivalent to a hex using this board? So two front motors, two rear and one on each side.
PhunnyPharmer is offline Find More Posts by PhunnyPharmer
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:57 AM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
150 Posts
Hi!

Well, i have read the hole thread and already ordered some smd pcb from scorpia, thanks for that, but i don't found the info that the HK 401B gyros don't have a TQFP ATMega anymore but a MLF, so they don't fit. Perhaps this fact should be mentioned in the partlist ...

Neverless a great project and i can't wait for the delivery of the electronic parts to start flying ...

greetings from germany
Jens
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:31 AM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
Overkill... i think i may get the 18A one instead. I keep changing props & motors though, so even this list isn't stable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:49 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
this is what happens if u want to much
the shaft is broken midair
after 10min with a new motor the quad was ready to fly again

Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:20 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,582 Posts
Warthox, ouch! Glad it's back!

You get spare shafts for thos motors at HK?
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:34 PM
RTFM // copter damaged
Joined Aug 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcimports View Post
Warthox, ouch! Glad it's back!

You get spare shafts for thos motors at HK?
no, i bought some more motors