HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2013
214 Posts
FYI, On the "Jug" I fly I have switched to all 17g metal servos. I have made a suggestion to the factory to make this change as they did in the P-51 V8

Jim
Diamond Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Diamond Hobby; Feb 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:30 AM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM66 View Post
The tailwheel is run by a separate servo that is installed in the tail section of the fuse. Myself I recommend a metal gear servo for this application, here is a pic of my pnp version a couple years ago. This servo is connected to a Y lead into the rudder servo.
JM Thanks for that PIC. I dont recall seeing that arm for the tail wheel servo. Dam I'll have to rig something.
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
JM Thanks for that PIC. I dont recall seeing that arm for the tail wheel servo. Dam I'll have to rig something.
If you purchased a kit it's most likely not included, However if you have an extra long servo arm handy, you can carefully cut out a slot using a exacto knife in the control arm. also please note.... you will need a reversed servo for the tailwheel application or pick up a turnigy signal reverser. 17g metal servo is a must if flying from grassy runways because they take a beating.
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:29 PM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
I have upgraded to the FMS 4250 580 in my P 47 . Runs very good, lots of power with stock 4 blade. Nice round loops and much faster.Problem is the motor stutters and runs backward. I know it is a timing issue, somewhere on RCgroups I have seen the answer I am looking for. Yes I have done a search , can some one point me to the forum I need .
Thanks
Taz H is offline Find More Posts by Taz H
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:43 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
700 Posts
Hi Taz, ....i have seen this problem before, and after checking the connectors between the ESC and motor, i discovered a loose one, and since you have recently worked with the motor n esc, you may have something loose there....after giving the female connector a pinch, and wrapping all of them with electrical tape or heat shrink, you may solve your stuttering....good luck!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:21 AM
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
If you're using the stock ESC, that could be the culprit. They're kinda hit or miss. Change the programming to soft start or switch out all together
Olearsenewbie is offline Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:20 PM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Thanks will try both methods , will let you know what happens.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2013
214 Posts
Taz, I have had a couple of ESC's returned after our customer switched out the motor and had the same issue as you mention In pulling the connectors apart when the switched out, they pulled the wires almost out of the connector. The heat shrink covered the wires and until I cut it off the ESC, my test motor did the same thing as you mentioned.

If you find your ESC is defective let me know, I might be able to replace under warranty.

Jim
Diamond Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Diamond Hobby
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:47 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,851 Posts
Jim (Diamond)

You might want to look at this thread, some folks have been trying to get a hold of you.

Start at post #4130

Ed
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:41 PM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Checked all connections and they seem to be alright. Changed my timing to soft start and seems to be better. Windy here will know better at the field , hopefully tommorow
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:00 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM66 View Post
If you purchased a kit it's most likely not included, However if you have an extra long servo arm handy, you can carefully cut out a slot using a exacto knife in the control arm. also please note.... you will need a reversed servo for the tailwheel application or pick up a turnigy signal reverser. 17g metal servo is a must if flying from grassy runways because they take a beating.
Thanks I actually used just a regular servo arm and drilled a hole it seems to be a good fit. I do have a problem where it doesn't seem to want to turn very all the way on either side. I'm wondering does anyone just leave the tail wheel free with out hooking it up to the servo? I just cant seem to get it to work properly.

Thanks for the signal reverser. I ordered two. I need one for the flap and one for the rudder. Other than that she's all done and ready to maiden.
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Mar 11, 2014, 04:54 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
846 Posts
Quote:
Thanks I actually used just a regular servo arm and drilled a hole it seems to be a good fit. I do have a problem where it doesn't seem to want to turn very all the way on either side. I'm wondering does anyone just leave the tail wheel free with out hooking it up to the servo? I just cant seem to get it to work properly.

Thanks for the signal reverser. I ordered two. I need one for the flap and one for the rudder. Other than that she's all done and ready to maiden.
I believe there are some pilots on here that do not run a tailwheel servo and just let it free float, however if flying from a grass runway you would need the servo to hold the tail down from the motor torque, at least I have tried it both ways and I prefer the tailwheel servo because of the higher prop startup for rollout is needed for grass fields to get it rolling.

I used a long hxt900 servo arm and hollowed out the entire inside of the arm to form a slot so that the tailwheel pin would move in the slot all the way in both directions to create more travel for the tailwheel steering radius and it seems to be working out very nice.

Best of luck with your maiden and let us know how it goes!
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:23 PM
United States, GA, Douglasville
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:

Where are you gonna do your maiden? What side of town do you fly on?
Olearsenewbie is offline Find More Posts by Olearsenewbie
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:03 PM
Quesnel BC
Joined Oct 2005
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz H View Post
Checked all connections and they seem to be alright. Changed my timing to soft start and seems to be better. Windy here will know better at the field , hopefully tommorow
Very windy here today, did fly yesterday. I do not like the soft start as it seems to take forever to spool up. Start adding throttle and it goes up to about half and then is gone like a shot. Went back to hard start, and it spools up better but still stutters a bit. If I give it a quick burst it seems alright. I think I will leave it there for now.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:58 AM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
165 Posts
Picked up the Green Spirit of Atlantic City 1400mm version at a local swap meet. Anyone know of a link to a manual that can be downloaded? Thanks for the help
IneptCorpse is offline Find More Posts by IneptCorpse