New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by hfsarber
I see, I like, I scratch...
United States, CT, Montville
Joined Jan 2011
147 Posts
Discussion
How long from build to maiden have you gone?

I built this plane almost 2 years ago and still haven't had a maiden.

80 5/8" wingspan
60" length
Suppo S4120-7 610Kv motor
APC 13x10 prop
60amp ZTW ESC

When I finished it I realized I didn't have anywhere close by to fly it so it sat around collecting dust while other built planes were flown.

Last year I decided to put a set of Carbon Z Cub floats on it, but still didn't maiden it.

I planned to do it earlier this year, but I didn't have the batteries I needed to fly it.

My Hobbyking order showed up today with new batteries.

Weather looks good tomorrow.

Gardner Lake is only 4 miles away.

Just might happen finally.
hfsarber is online now Find More Posts by hfsarber
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,146 Posts
How long from build to maiden have you gone?

About an hour for this one - including the build ......
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145562
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,510 Posts
Just fly it !

It's NOT an airplane if it doesnt fly !

It looks iok.

IF it balances OK then it'll fly OK. ya know !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,828 Posts
I think I would launch off grass (or even a hand launch over tall grass) before launching off water. Much easier to walk over and pick it up if things don't go quite right. But after all it's only foam , so go fly it somewhere!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by hfsarber
I see, I like, I scratch...
United States, CT, Montville
Joined Jan 2011
147 Posts
Has anyone seen my wing holddown bolts?

This morning I soldered connectors onto my new 3s4000 batteries and hooked them up with a series adapter to give me 6s4000. When I first fired up this beast I only used 4s for centering the servos and testing the motor. 4s yields 740 watts by itself. That equates to 85 watts per pound. That would be enough to make it flyable. I only went half throttle with the 6s hookup. Wahooie! Now that's some kind of thrust! The wattmeter said I pulled 728 watts at half throttle. Definitely shouldn't be any issue with enough power to get her off the water.

I had a couple errands to run so I took care of them and then I had to come back home and wait for our new mattress to show up.

After that I started packing things up only to realize that the wing holddown bolts were missing. Beats me where they are. I checked the tool boxes, parts boxes, and parts cabinet. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Too late to run to Home Depot so it looks like it will have to wait for another day.

And springer, crashing on water is no problem (ok, maybe it is) because I have a boat.

Harry
hfsarber is online now Find More Posts by hfsarber
Last edited by hfsarber; Yesterday at 05:47 PM. Reason: add photo