Old Mar 25, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Question
Radian JR9303 Programming Question

Hey Folks,

My DX8 is at HH getting repaired thanks to my cat knocking it off the work bench...
Anyway, getting the itch to go fly and the only other Radio that I have is my JR9303 which I have fitted with a Spektrum 2.4 Transmitter module...

I have followed Sherman Knight's 9303 set up guide, and everything else works except for the motor control, which I would like to program to a switch instead of using the acro mode and having the throttle on the left stick...

Any ideas how to get the motor to work off of one of the switches capable of 3 positions to control motor off- half speed-full speed?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Franz in NJ

PS. I have a standard Radian, not a Radian Pro...
VonRecktofen is offline Find More Posts by VonRecktofen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,233 Posts
Motor allocation

G'day Franz,
Sorry to hear about your DX8 - at least better than my flying mate's 9503 that his cat knocked off the bench - into a bucket of warm, soapy, dirty water! RIP
I have the 9503 (DSX9 in Oz), but believe most of the programming is similar.
Just had a play, and in the System menus, Device Select screen, you can select either Aux2 (Ch7) as Moto to be controlled by a choice of switches, or Aux3 (Ch8) to be controlled ditto - I tried the right 3-pos switch and worked fine in both cases. For simple operation, you would need a 7 or 8 channel receiver, otherwise you would need to mix the Aux channel into wherever you have plugged the ESC in.
Suspect using the Glid programming for a Radian is doing things the hard way, as the radio then assumes two ailerons, elevator, rudder, two flaps - using up all the first six channels.
I would be tempted to use Acro, plug rudder servo into Ail, elevator to elevator, then the ESC into, perhaps, Aux1 (Flap) where the Flap or Aux2 three-pos switches are available as options.
These are very capable radios, but somewhat 'creative' to program for unusual requirements!
Cheers,
Pete
Petem is online now Find More Posts by Petem
Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:16 AM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
G'day Franz,
Sorry to hear about your DX8 - at least better than my flying mate's 9503 that his cat knocked off the bench - into a bucket of warm, soapy, dirty water! RIP
I have the 9503 (DSX9 in Oz), but believe most of the programming is similar.
Just had a play, and in the System menus, Device Select screen, you can select either Aux2 (Ch7) as Moto to be controlled by a choice of switches, or Aux3 (Ch8) to be controlled ditto - I tried the right 3-pos switch and worked fine in both cases. For simple operation, you would need a 7 or 8 channel receiver, otherwise you would need to mix the Aux channel into wherever you have plugged the ESC in.
Suspect using the Glid programming for a Radian is doing things the hard way, as the radio then assumes two ailerons, elevator, rudder, two flaps - using up all the first six channels.
I would be tempted to use Acro, plug rudder servo into Ail, elevator to elevator, then the ESC into, perhaps, Aux1 (Flap) where the Flap or Aux2 three-pos switches are available as options.
These are very capable radios, but somewhat 'creative' to program for unusual requirements!
Cheers,
Pete
Hi Pete!
Thanks for the info, I'm sort of handicapped when it comes to mixes, how would I go about creating that mix to utilize the Glid programming....I know that using Acro would be easier, but I'm trying to use Glid programming from the start of my sailplane flying, so that I can develop good habits for my eventual foray into a full house sailplane!
Thanks again for any info or ideas!

Franz in NJ
Old Mar 26, 2015, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,233 Posts
Channels?

OK, Franz; you wanna suffer - we suffer together (at least till AWorrest chimes in with a definitive solution for your radio)!
First a question: what receiver are you using (esp number of channels) and what is plugged in where so far?
With a full-house sailplane in Glid, channels 1 to 6 are automatically allocated to the flight surfaces, so Ch7 would be the easiest for motor. If you are using a six-channel Rx, mixing will be needed.
Cheers,
Pete
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:25 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Thank you, Brother Pete, We go one, we go all!
Anyway, I have a Spektrum AR6210 Receiver, 6 channels, and so far Elevator servo into ELE channel, Rudder servo into AIL channel, and ESC into Gear channel...
That's it so far...
Sounds like I need to mix channel six...
I'm all ears, sir!
Thanks again!
Franz in NJ
Old Mar 26, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,233 Posts
OK, first job is to get a channel working from your chosen 3-pos switch.
In System menus, Device Select page, check the switch options for Aux2 and Aux 3 - on mine Aux1 has only sliders, but Aux3 has several 3-pos switches available. Select one of those and make it Act (not Inh) down the bottom of the page.
Then go into the ordinary menus, Monitor page and check that the switch is operating Aux3 from min to middle to max.
If OK, go List, then Mix3 (or 4-6, 1 and 2 are multi-point mixes), click on the Inh and it opens up the screen with Master and Slave options and settings for the mix.
Select Master Aux3 and Slave Flap (the radio has already pinched Gear and Aux1 for flap channels, so we need to use one of them.
Set +100% each way in Pos 0 (makes it On all the time) and zero Offset (mix operates from centre).
Back to Monitor screen and check switch now drives both Flap channels from min to middle to max.
REMOVE PROPELLOR!
Plug ESC into Aux1 and see if it arms when you apply power, if not you may need to reverse the channel to get Off in your desired switch position.
Test motor - done (unless it doesn't work, in which case we start again!)
Notes:
This Rx will not give you motor cut on failsafe, you would need to go to a 7+, I think, for fully programmable failsafe.
Make sure there are no other glider-type inputs to the Flap channels (see Device select screen and all the flap menus, including crow, and set zeros.
Also have a look at the Camber screen (Monitor screen, then click on Monitor to see camber settings). The two little trimmer switches on mine are used to set camber for a full-house wing.
Have fun!
Pete
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by Tahoed
"Do you feel lucky?"
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2011
276 Posts
Hi Pete!
Thanks for the info, I'm sort of handicapped when it comes to mixes, how would I go about creating that mix to utilize the Glid programming....I know that using Acro would be easier, but I'm trying to use Glid programming from the start of my sailplane flying, so that I can develop good habits for my eventual foray into a full house sailplane!
Thanks again for any info or ideas!

Sooner or later when you move to a full house plane, your 3 position switches will be used for camber and reflex presets (left- land -cruise-launch, right- speed and thermal). On my 9303, I program the motor to my right side slider, this gives you fully proportional throttle. Lots of guys use a 3 position switch for motor control, but whichever you decide on, set up future planes the same way, it will be easier to go from one plane to another when your switches (and your receiver channels) are the same for each air frame. (I'm not sure you can use a 6 channel receiver for how I set mine up(never tried it), but if your interested PM me and I'll see if I can figure it out for you). Once you understand the flight mode progamming, you'll find the 9303 to be a great radio
Tahoed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoed
Old Apr 25, 2015, 08:11 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Quote:
OK, first job is to get a channel working from your chosen 3-pos switch.
In System menus, Device Select page, check the switch options for Aux2 and Aux 3 - on mine Aux1 has only sliders, but Aux3 has several 3-pos switches available. Select one of those and make it Act (not Inh) down the bottom of the page.
Then go into the ordinary menus, Monitor page and check that the switch is operating Aux3 from min to middle to max.
If OK, go List, then Mix3 (or 4-6, 1 and 2 are multi-point mixes), click on the Inh and it opens up the screen with Master and Slave options and settings for the mix.
Select Master Aux3 and Slave Flap (the radio has already pinched Gear and Aux1 for flap channels, so we need to use one of them.
Set +100% each way in Pos 0 (makes it On all the time) and zero Offset (mix operates from centre).
Back to Monitor screen and check switch now drives both Flap channels from min to middle to max.
REMOVE PROPELLOR!
Plug ESC into Aux1 and see if it arms when you apply power, if not you may need to reverse the channel to get Off in your desired switch position.
Test motor - done (unless it doesn't work, in which case we start again!)
Notes:
This Rx will not give you motor cut on failsafe, you would need to go to a 7+, I think, for fully programmable failsafe.
Make sure there are no other glider-type inputs to the Flap channels (see Device select screen and all the flap menus, including crow, and set zeros.
Also have a look at the Camber screen (Monitor screen, then click on Monitor to see camber settings). The two little trimmer switches on mine are used to set camber for a full-house wing.
Have fun!
Pete
Hey Pete!
Many thanks for the walk-through in setting this up!
My DX-8 will be fixed very soon, but the 9303 will become my Sailplane/Plank radio for sure!
I set Aux3 to the FlapLever (the slider on the left side of 9303), then did the mix that you suggested, and viola! It worked! The ESC armed, and now I have slider control of the Radian's electric motor!
You have saved the rest of my weekend, and I thank you Sir, from half-way round the globe!
Good on ya mate, thank you so much for your help...
These forums, and chaps like you, make this hobby great!!!
Cheers!
Franz in NJ USA
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:17 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Just wanted to update my DX-8 repair from Horizon Hobby....
I am absolutely amazed and extremely pleased! Sent my injured DX-8 in to their repair shop, was alerted by e mail when it arrived, then the middle of the next day, another e mail alerting me that the unit was completed and ready for it's return trip!

The radio was there for a little over a day, and was back on the delivery truck to return! All for the unbelievably low price of.......$nothing- except return shipping, which I gladly paid!!!

I can highly commend Horizon Hobby, their staff, and the operation for providing me with a more than completely satisfactory experience!

Many thanks to any and all of you on these forums that may work for HH!

Highly Satisfied!
Franz in NJ
Old Apr 30, 2015, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,233 Posts
Bewdy!

Franz,
Glad to hear both the 9303 programming and your DX8 fix worked out well.
Go fly!
Pete
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:09 AM
Jersey Shore
Joined Jul 2006
85 Posts
Quote:
Franz,
Glad to hear both the 9303 programming and your DX8 fix worked out well.
Go fly!
Pete
Thank you, Sir..... Will do!
The 9303 works well with the Radian, had a blast this past weekend with it, thanks to you!

Cheers!
Franz in NJ
Last edited by VonRecktofen; May 01, 2015 at 01:22 PM.