Old Apr 06, 2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,587 Posts
Build Log
Lighter Side of Scale Building

Many of you have seen me document my builds from getting the body right up to the first flight. This build happened so fast, I didn't take any pictures of the build and honestly, I only added a few items to the otherwise stock body. For a few years now, I have had a 500E Police helicopter which is an Align 250 in the Align body kit. I was hoping to get a custom made head but that has not materialized as if yet. It might but I need to pursue it shortly if it is ever to happen. During the Christmas break, our club hosted an indoor fly-in at a golf dome. There, I managed to crash my pristine 250SE, this 500E, and my Blade BO-105 within a matter of minutes. Lighting and other self created disturbances were the cause of the two 250's and the Blade just took off in a rainbow flight pattern and it did find the other end of it. Lost bind or just took a bow and it was over. Oh well, they went on sale and I got another.

So, for the past three months, the two 250's sat in a state of disrepair and it was time to correct it. I started the repairs to the two 250's yesterday morning and they are now complete. The repair of the 250SE was limited to all spinning shafts and a couple of minor bits which went fast. The crash of the 500E left the vertical tail shattered and the canopy looking like a bomb had hit it. The body received some damage at the back of the doghouse and a chip or two out of the rest of the paint/gelcoat. With the cost of replacing being so low, I had a spare body and decided to make it a long skid version for a change from my usual short skid editions (TOW Defender is short and so will the new Little Bird when it is done). The problem with the Align, Gaui, and Heli-Artist bodies is that the landing gear is at the wrong angle and looks like it is on stilts if the legs are left long. It might be correct for a flying body (well, not that much of an angle) but for one that spends a great deal of time on the shelf, it is just wrong. There is a simple correction that can be done and that is to slot the four openings further towards the middle of the body by about 3/16ths to 1/4". This allows the struts to splay out a bit more and one of the pictures of the original body and a comparison to the new one point out the difference. I really like the look of the new body with the legs and I never thought that when I put the first one together as I had not even thought about just changing the angle. Live and learn.

The light controller is simply an E-Flite setup with five LED's where I put the two navigation lights on a "Y" harness and putting them in the underside of the body. I had no aspirations about trying to get LED's small enough to put in the skids. they are too small, anyway, lol. I salvaged my landing light housing from the wreck which went in with no problems. It might be a bit high but this is a fun scale project for indoor flying. I will spool it up a bit later and see how it holds up. I put the extra battery in it for balance weight and it is where it was before. Here are pictures of what it was in top shape (LOL), after the crash, and now ready for action once again. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts