HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2015, 03:44 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,930 Posts
According to the specs the max input voltage is 48V. I would not recommend going over 48V.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2015, 06:15 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,292 Posts
Inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelleen View Post
What I do not understand is the limitations of buck / boost as noted below.

Its not really a limitation. But more of an optimization that affects the condition where power source is close in voltage to the pack. In this scenario, the charger will start the charge cycle in buck mode. During the charge cycle, the charge transitions to boost mode. During this transition, the charge current and draw from the AC source can fluctuate. The charger is designed to handle it. Modern packs can take it as well. But when run off of a generator, the motor may sound like its in trouble. This does not affect all charge scenarios, supplies and packs. Mainly 6s that are drained to 3.7v or below and a 24v source.

So within the limitations of 4 DSP 600 PB's what is my best combination of powering the Dual PowerLab PL8?

It may depend mostly on how you are powering the supplies. Generators and AC lines have limits which are easily exceeded by the DPL.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 07, 2015, 02:11 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jul 2010
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
According to the specs the max input voltage is 48V. I would not recommend going over 48V.
OK there was some discussion earlier in the thread, (in the first 2 or 3 pages) about testing the charger to 50V.

Another poster had asked a similar question to my setup of 4 DSP 600's in series which put out 12.5V each in series (50v total output).

I did not see this answered, but am still re-reading the thread as time allows.

Has the charger been tested by anyone to 50V input?

Thanks!
mikelleen is offline Find More Posts by mikelleen
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
550 Posts
While it may last at 50v, since FMA specifies that it is to be operated at no more than 48, if you were to have a problem , they probably would not honor the warranty. Run it <=48 volts
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Jan 08, 2015, 02:22 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jul 2010
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I'll have to think about that one. Here's the challenge. Charging a 6s pack at 40 amps, you'll be pulling roughly 30 amps from the supply. 47amps is a bit overkill in that scenario. But with a 50v supply you'd only be pulling about 23 amps per channel, or 46 amps total. It would seem four supplies would be a better fit than 6 supplies unless you want the overhead or need to charge at 7s or 8s.

I have four of the DSP-600PBs. When I get time, I'll set up the config and give it a test run.
Gregor99 did you ever test the 4 DSP 600's in series?

That is the power supply solution I am considering as well.

Thanks.
Last edited by mikelleen; Jan 08, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 10:28 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jul 2010
125 Posts
Just got my DPL up and running and am seriously impressed.

Great features and easy to use. The on panel interface is much more intuitive than my previous charger a Hyperion EOS 615i Duo in my opinion. Being able to control the charger from my Windows 7 PC is very cool as well.

The added PC interface and graphing capability is a huge improvement and being able to see what the pack is doing over time is a fantastic feature.

I am running the factory presets now and am quite satisfied. Will be creating presets for my various batteries and storing them to the charger in the next day or two.

Updated the firmware to version 1.10 with no issues whatsoever.

Great product. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 06:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelleen View Post
Just got my DPL up and running and am seriously impressed.

Great features and easy to use. The on panel interface is much more intuitive than my previous charger a Hyperion EOS 615i Duo in my opinion. Being able to control the charger from my Windows 7 PC is very cool as well.

The added PC interface and graphing capability is a huge improvement and being able to see what the pack is doing over time is a fantastic feature.

I am running the factory presets now and am quite satisfied. Will be creating presets for my various batteries and storing them to the charger in the next day or two.

Updated the firmware to version 1.10 with no issues whatsoever.

Great product. Thanks!
Excellent feedback! Glad to hear it. Let us know if run into any questions. Once you start playing with the CCS, you find there is a lot of depth to this charger.

One tip I will give you while just getting started. In the CCS, if you mouse over a setting, a text box will popup explain the setting. Here's the cool part, if you click on the setting a much more detailed text box opens giving more details about the setting.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99