HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2008, 11:05 AM
Altadena, CA
Joined Mar 2008
133 Posts
Discussion
Emulating HZ SuperCub in Clearview?

I'm trying to set up a model to match the flight characteristics of the HZ Super Cub, which is a 3 channel plane with rudder but no aileron control. When I use rudder only in CV, the behavior is very different than the Cub. In real life it tends to dip the wings as you engage the rudder, I assume due to the design of the wings, etc. In CV, the planes simply turn left and right with very Roll. What would be the best way to emulate this behavior in CV? Should I simply "fake" it by mixing in a bit of aileron control into the rudder channel (not sure how to do this exaclty)...or are there settings in the params.txt that will cause this to happen in a more appropriate way?

Thanks,
m
mitchfx is offline Find More Posts by mitchfx
Last edited by mitchfx; May 18, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Darn trees!!!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Mar 2008
427 Posts
In my version of Clearview the plane's wings dip a lot when I engage the rudder.

Odd that we're having a different experience.
Fairmont is offline Find More Posts by Fairmont
Old May 25, 2008, 11:44 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,143 Posts
Plane dihedral and rudder position related to lateral CG line define plane behavior when ruder is applied. Here are the parameters that control this:
dihedralCoef 0.1
dihedralElevCoef 0.1 // control wing dip when rudder applied
dihedralFlag 1.0 // plane has dihedral wings
dihedralRudCoef 0.1 // control roll when rudder applied

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz
Old May 26, 2008, 09:14 AM
Darn trees!!!
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Mar 2008
427 Posts
Those parameters you gave me: Are they accurate to the Super Cub?

I just bought the Cub two days ago and am going to fly it this afternoon when I get home from this weekend trip.

I'd like to practice as accurately as possible, but I don't know if the basic trainer in Clearview is similar to the Supercub.
Fairmont is offline Find More Posts by Fairmont
Old May 26, 2008, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont
Those parameters you gave me: Are they accurate to the Super Cub?

I just bought the Cub two days ago and am going to fly it this afternoon when I get home from this weekend trip.

I'd like to practice as accurately as possible, but I don't know if the basic trainer in Clearview is similar to the Supercub.
Simulator will teach you hand to eye coordination. If you learn to reliably take off with the aileron trainer, fly in controlled manner and land at pre-determined spot time after time, you will be able to fly another trainer type aircraft, provided it is well set, properly ballanced and in perfect flying condition. Most likelly, your first plane will not be well set, will not be ballanced and will be in questionable flying condition. Real life flying is also high stress and your brain can freeze. It will be prudent if you have experienced flyer to test fly your model and possibly use buddy system to assist you in your first flights. The simulator will help you progress after that point, but will not replace all factors I listed.

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
skirtz is offline Find More Posts by skirtz