HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
Will the brushless kit work with dx4e? Don't see why not just checking. I got the email last night but didn't pull the trigger. Just bought a third motor about a week ago and my 2nd seems to be holding up better than the first. One thing that happened to me is now that I started to learn to flip and start inverted hover, mine didn't stay in air with full negative. Thought at first it was low battery or bad motor. Also thought I had checked center stick being 0 pitch by the marks. Well I had a lot more positive than negative, turned all in 2 turns. Works much better now if I can just learn inverted controls, that may take awhile.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
So here's a question:

While I love this little bird and I have it to thank for inverting comfortably, am I the only one that thinks Blade's claim of 'never losing the tail' is baloney? If I try and kind of backwards flight, the tail will likely slide with the near-instant loss of control that implies. I think this is just an inherent flaw of having a brushed motor tail, but is this happening to anyone else?
Do you have the tail fin on it? Flying backwards is going to cause that fin to want to turn the heli around. Not sure how much force it is applying, but it will be some amount relative to speed. since the motor can only provide force in one direction it can be overwhelmed. Not so much a brushed motor issue as a fixed pitch issue.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:01 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,683 Posts
@jpconard
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. The reason is the brushless ESC comes flashed for Governor TX mode. The governor is set to whatever the throttle curve is. So you'll need to be able to edit your throttle curves.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:07 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpalzm View Post
Has anyone used a Nano with the HP6DSM TX? I might be able to get one for a good price.

Thanks
I believe you can turn of the internal ccpm mixing, if so then yes it should work. Though I am not sure if you can change the other settings such as built in expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Will the brushless kit work with dx4e?

It will work but the governor will be quite iffy as Daryoon said you cant set curves.

The better options would be to have Dylan reprogram it or buy a usb toolstick when you buy the kit.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: oops speaking gibberish again
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
Thanks for replies. Think I will hold off on brushless kit until I understand better how that governor part works. I like to take dx4e on my out of town trips, was going to mod 9x with module from HH LP transmitter, then that orange module came out but it had a defect, now considering waiting for the 9xr if it actually comes out in couple weeks and comes around $50.

Are you guys saying for the dx4e, the esc governor should be programmed fixed governor, rather than retrieving it from the tx throttle curve?
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:37 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,367 Posts
Here is a nice post that explains blhei a bit
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...38&postcount=1
There is also another full thread for the code on helifreak
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 03, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:35 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,683 Posts
@jpconard,
You can set the governor percentage and flash directly to the ESC. (Governor SETUP mode) So now, the ESC won't be reading the governor percentage from the radio. Instead, it's hard set. I believe that's one way to be able to use the DX4e with brushless. I do recommend getting a toolstick as well. And having Dylan solder on a flash header. Dylan sells it for $16, and it's really useful. HobbyKing has it for cheaper if you can find stock.

Then you can use the BLSetup-GUI program to switch between the various Governor mode (TX, ARM, Setup, OFF)

Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:02 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,367 Posts
What is the idle up curve set to for the dx4? Is it full 100% or does it have two curves?

I think you would be able to arm it in normal and then switch to idle up and it would work, just not functioning as governor mode was designed to be used.

Could be wrong though..happens often enough

I am going to switch back to tx mode tonight with simulated dx4 curves...now I am curious
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 03, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Do you have the tail fin on it? Flying backwards is going to cause that fin to want to turn the heli around. Not sure how much force it is applying, but it will be some amount relative to speed. since the motor can only provide force in one direction it can be overwhelmed. Not so much a brushed motor issue as a fixed pitch issue.
So you recommend removing the tail fin to solve the issue? I'm guessing that explains why most people fly without one and with a high-vis tail rotor.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:10 AM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
Removing the tail-fin will help the condition. Maybe one of those carbon-fiber cut-out jobbies - I just know I have one of those laying around here somewhere hmm....

But I can't see it that well at night under the patio-lights without the fin, and the blackness of the cf one wouldn't be any more visible to me.

And Horizon is really dragging it on bringing those colored blades, KBDD too.(Expected release date 17Jan!)
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:23 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1BSArtist View Post
Removing the tail-fin will help the condition. Maybe one of those carbon-fiber cut-out jobbies - I just know I have one of those laying around here somewhere hmm....

But I can't see it that well at night under the patio-lights without the fin, and the blackness of the cf one wouldn't be any more visible to me.

And Horizon is really dragging it on bringing those colored blades, KBDD too.(Expected release date 17Jan
!)
With all due respect, there is a VERY simple solution to the problem ... its called spray paint!
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:09 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1BSArtist View Post

And Horizon is really dragging it on bringing those colored blades, KBDD too.(Expected release date 17Jan!)
Yellow, Orange and Green tailblades, middle of the page when viewed 60 Items per page.

https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/searc...show=60&page=1
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,899 Posts
Funny I posted the tailblades due to the other pilot's desire to fly without a Fin.

I just flew inside tonight, set it down and I was like, Hey! Where's my Fin!

I looked back on my vid from the other night and saw there was no Fin, so the smack into one of four places the other night when the tailmotor was flexing on the boom and it ran away several times popped that Fin off and I can't find it anywhere! Just looked around with the flashlight where the hard smack was at the top corner of the couch and don't see a thing. I think I remember another one right after that so looking at that end of the room, maybe hiding in the school books on the carpet...

Perfectly good Fin too! No Fun without a Fin! (for looks)
heritageflyer is online now Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
... its called spray paint!
lol...I painted my Mcpx blades last year before the KBDD blades dropped. It's funny to me now that it's been mentioned that I haven't painted a set up for the Nano yet. I guess I was just thinking of keeping it light; even though the Nano seems to have more power to weight than the Mcpx - I'll probably try that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I just flew inside tonight, set it down and I was like, Hey! Where's my Fin!

Perfectly good Fin too! No Fun without a Fin! (for looks)
+1 Msr, Mcpx, Nano-It happens to me all the time - It'll turn up - In what condition though That's really funny because I found, and lost, and found again, my Msr cf tail-fin from (could it be?) 3 years ago last night. I did some testing for the previous postings today -

So I tried it out lookin' like this today.
Name: The CF Cut-Out Jobbie.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 177.1 KB
Description:
My thoughts below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
So you recommend removing the tail fin to solve the issue? I'm guessing that explains why most people fly without one and with a high-vis tail rotor.
To follow-up.

I don't know, we've heard some testimonies from some very obviously good pilots (in videos even) on this thread that make that recommendation. And I would stand by that, and the data that others have provided. I think Wookster is right about the fixed pitch issue for instance. I think you just gotta try it out.

When I get it started flying backwards - I try to induce a bias to the tail in one direction or other. Then I feather the control to the opposite direction for the duration of my intended flightpath. And maybe I'm not going backwards fast enough yet (or for long enough distance wise) on a regular basis, because I can get it to blow out. But so far, I can't really tell the difference between no fin, cf cut-out fin, or the original fin.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Last edited by Number1BSArtist; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Better Pic
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Yellow, Orange and Green tailblades, middle of the page when viewed 60 Items per page.

https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/searc...show=60&page=1
I ordered a new NCPX from R/C Depot Hobbies and they sent me a used heli with new blades on it. I called them and raised , they sent me postage so I could return it and they will send a new one out. I will never order another thing from them!
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.