SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
That thing shorted out then. Sure sounds like it overheated due to overcurrent. Had this happen to me also because of pulling 100 amps on a 60 amp controller due to a prop change. Almost set a ground fire.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
Have you seen what happens to controllers that are improperly set up and you start gunning them? Usually a single bank blows. I think an issue with some controllers is that they cannot take the generating abilities of the motor. When this feedback enters the FETs and when you gun the motor it creates a current surge that blows the FETs. For this reason I have used light braking on some of my fans.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:31 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
that happened to the first 120 controller. popped on taxi out when i gunned it. normally i dont do this on high power edf's but its been a while, and i forgot.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
im sure i was 130A+ probably more. if i would have known that, i wuld have never tried to fly it. goes to show you should always check amp draw.
I wonder why the ESC poped even at 130 amps. The Turnegy ESC is rated for 120amps constant 180 burst. Mine was pulling 134 amps and no worries. I do have 16 caps on it though (8 per fan) so I wonder if that kept me safe from Mr. ripple.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:30 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,995 Posts
Thanks for the data, C/N, and the additional info in the several posts after.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,288 Posts
Its always a wonder why ESC pops. Some times its the quality of the components in the ESC or winding mismatch in the motors. Could also be long parallel power wires next to control wires. To many variables so careful design standards needs to be made.
These ESC's are sensorless types so its timing depends on the feedback of the motor and its programming for the motor. I think if all motors did have a rpm sensor to the ESC then there will be a less of a chance of problems.
I've worked on large motor controllers in the 400hp range and the motor parameters are much more defined than in these smaller controllers and most have feedback sensors. Also all these controllers has industry standards.
Caps is an excellent idea to reduce the voltage sag from long leads from your battery.
Last edited by p901P901; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Andy... Which Typhoon plans are you using for your 8ft model. I'm doing a 6 ft version and found a great set of highly detailed five views from a Russian site. If you want to PM your email I'll send you a copy. Mine include the different variants from single seater to tandem.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Have you seen what happens to controllers that are improperly set up and you start gunning them? Usually a single bank blows. I think an issue with some controllers is that they cannot take the generating abilities of the motor. When this feedback enters the FETs and when you gun the motor it creates a current surge that blows the FETs. For this reason I have used light braking on some of my fans.
I think you are right about the feedback. A light brake is a good idea IMO.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
well i finnaly have a update!!! i have made some progress on the repair. all the glass was stripped from the foam on the fwd fuse, from about mid fwd canopy up to the tip of the nose. figured it would be easier, and stronger to re glass that section rather than try to fix all the cracks ect. so i got all the broken canopy pieces removed from the 2 damaged canopies, leaving the last section in tact on the aiplane. then, i glued the puzzle of foam back together on the nose, and it is now a 1 piece fwd fuse again! lol. i do have alot of spakle work to do before i glass, but i should be in glass by the end of next week or so. also, the ever generous Andy Z has allowed me to install his pilot and seats into my T-38!!!!! so his talon spirit shall live within 559 i think once this thing is fixed, its going to make a really fun model, now that i know what to look for. i should have the gear issues sorted out too i plan to have it flight worthy before the end of the year
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,458 Posts
the ever generous Andy Z has allowed me to install his pilot and seats into my T-38!!!!! so his talon spirit shall live within 559

So has Andy given up repairing his?
Reco is online now Find More Posts by Reco
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:10 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
yeah, thats the word on the street. i think there was so much surface damage from the desert jungle, plus water damage from the river it landed in. all the added weight from all the fixing would have created even more problems i think.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:19 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Glad to hear you're back on the horse, CN! So your Talon will live to fly another day. Too bad for falcon's, but his reasoning is exactly on in his case.

Do let us know what fans you will be using in the resurrection.

Phil Lin
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:09 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
1,025 Posts
Sorry to hear of Falcon's plane but dont forget the children of these two that are being born over on the other thread. Looking forward to your pics and repairs there CN.
sam51401 is online now Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,846 Posts
ill probably use the same setups (with proper kv and esc's) atleast for a few flights, and then go for there. i dont have the money for 2 120mm fans/motors
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Cool wingman.. flyable by the end of the year will be sweet!! keep us posted on your progress and when your ready for a re maiden let me know I will drive down and check it out.

Yeah guys the more I inspected my T-38 after it took a tour of the enchanted forest I decided I could better use the equipment in another project.

I will be keeping track of Brent's bird and all the grand kids that are born on the other thread though
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5