HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:12 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Good thing is that there are 4-5 people with the same setup on this thread.

When everyone shows their correct Doppler passes (no dive, level passes), it will leave little room for discussion or wiggle room by anyone.

Gryphon
Hi Gryphon...correct, I just want to know how fast this setup is level and flat.... meaured beyond doubt... it seems the motor can take it, so far

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 02, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:14 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Dont get me wrong, Im sure this setup is fast, I have the same that I am building right now.... but we need to get numbers right here... Not saying your speedgun showing wrong, but would be very interesting to see what doppler says....... if you could make that speedrun the way I said..

doppler is showing speed over 4-5 seconds..

Sebbe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
I am using a $1500 gun, calibrated to get accurate readings on baseball size objects at 300mph, it is having no issues locking on this plane a long way off. I will try to get more data, but at some point, you have to throw in the towel and believe.

Sebbe,
If you will aloow me ..................

I think its more that we should see the dopplered 2 way average so we have a benchmark to compare it against.

Diving is great fun.
Flying fast with the wind is allmost as much fun.
Both ways leaves lots of room for unknowns due to the nature of the variables.
What angle was the dive ?
It was a dive with the wind ........... wasnt it ?
How fast was the wind blowing at altitude ?
I could go on ...............

Suggesting to doppler opposite directions levels the playing field and is the best way to see what it really does, without any help.

He probably did go way past 200 from the dive, and definately used a good radar gun ........................... but how can those same conditions be duplicated so anyone can achieve the same results ?

I would love to see yours do a 2 way doppler run sebbe ..................
Count me in for dopplering it for you, or anyone else that puts up a good doppler-able video !!!
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:48 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
......Count me in for dopplering it for you, or anyone else that puts up a good doppler-able video !!!
Hopefully soon Mopar!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:39 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
mopar, I will put a video of mine FJU 6s when it gets ready, I will do my own doppler , but of course, you can double check mine

I agree, only TRUE speed is both ways, or one way if its zero wind, BUT just to make it really clear, flying in both directions will not harm..... And will proof there was no wind..

But there is nothing wrong in saying I was flying in big tailwind, and big dive and did get XXX mph, just saying it wont hurt to get the real speed confirmed also.. If not for the guy flying the plane, then Im sure there are plenty here wants to know what that setup is real for,,,, I want to know, and was hoping markusvt could make one run for us... had nothing to do I didnt belive him, I hope this is clear now

Sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:20 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
I am not clear what you are trying to prove, disprove, or the point you are trying to make really. You have to help me on that one. Going for a 2 way record? Trying to break 150, 175, 200? What is the record now that you acknowledge, is there one? If you get it, are you saying everyone with that set-up can build it and get the same numbers, really? Are you saying it will be safe to fly, and robust for them, really. Just help me out on the goals.

Maybe everyone does not have the same goal? For now, I'll take the highest speed on an electric Funjet Ultra until I am proved wrong, (mine on video, with RADAR, with pictures). It went 215mph, and did not fall apart. I hope guys use some of the build techniques in their 150mph Funjets and have good luck too!

Trying to get a 5 second run, doppler, both direction's gives me a different number, but anymore interesting? I don't know, maybe to some. Would someone else be able to duplicate it, doubt it. There is a lot to the build, set-up, flying style and conditions that can give very different results.

90% of the highest power set-ups guy's can't launch without a crash. I posted pictures and videos for the guy's that want to give it a try, and what worked for me. The 2-way no wind preach gets old, real, real old. Please post more as fast as you can go, I find it highly more entertaining.

I have never seen a high speed pass without some diving, not to "cheat", but it is impossible to keep safe visual contact with the model for so long with no profile or color's to see. How much of an arc to the run is OK, not OK? Please clarify all your rules.

For me, build it, fly it, and have fun, thats really what it is all about, no? If we can share a bit of knowledge along the way, great!

* It wasn't XXXmph, it was 215mph, you can type it, it won't scare you........
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
The point is you didn't run 215 in opposite directions.....yes we seen the radar gun,yes you said you dived....the wind did seem a bit strong.

If you want to claim a record.....I guess you need to fly the pattern that is given for all out record setting passes.(2 passes in opposite directions)

I have power systems that would get me to the 195 mark,BUT I'm gonna have to run a bit of a dive to achieve it.....and that's not fair really in my eyes.

You could always set up a tripod in the runway stretch,have your friend film from a camera and the other running your radar gun,I do believe that you can run straight and level if desired.

Good luck.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Markus,
I dont think its a question of trying to "proove" anything.
Your video "prooves" that your radar gun had you @ 215 from a dive.
Thats a great accomplishment that so far, nobody else has been able to achieve.
You find straight and level boring, we all get that.
It was asked of you to do a video with opposite straight and level passes so there would be something others can compare against.
Your FJU stands out, and lots will want to do the same thing.
Will they ??
No question there is alot to it, it aint just the drive setup.
As stated in my previous post, we are just looking to have something to shoot for, and while diving is fun, it falls short on being able to compare something against it.

So, in the same spirit that I endured with some "other planes", is it possible for you to fly an opposite direction set of passes so us "boring" individuals can have something to occupy our time with? (Its raining here and I cant go fly, so watching your set of passes is right up there for me !!)

As far as flying straight and level, please consider this .............. Murdo and myself can do it, and he did it @ 204 average, I believe it was 215 straight and level with the wind.

He and I fly out and come back straight and level at those speeds, full throttle for somewhere between 6-7 seconds. It is doable.

If you arent comfy flying that way, I am sure it wont be a problem, as there are at least a few Dudes with the same power train as you that will do the straight and level passes ............ I just think it would be great if you were the one to post up that video first, this way all of your "other efforts" will show up very clearly.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
I understand, I think. But how long should I will wait for more "proof" from others, (the plane has been out for 2 years so far)

Until then, 215mph stands.

No rain here, so with more props, we will spin her up and see what we get for the doppler fans. This set-up should be close to 185mph both ways, maybe more. The most aggressive prop on it will break 225mph or more diving, but I don't think it will get over 200 in the level reliably, but I'm sure it will do it on occasion, we will see.

To do it again, I might look for a nice compact 8S or 10S system to fit. The frame I have is real good, so I can update it no problem.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:46 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
I am claiming it, point closed, and I don't have to run both ways, as I am not in your contest, yet. 195 is cool, but it is not 215, agreed? Sorry if I rained on your parade, start building!

I have posted the target, go get it, dive from the moon, it's OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
The point is you didn't run 215 in opposite directions.....yes we seen the radar gun,yes you said you dived....the wind did seem a bit strong.

If you want to claim a record.....I guess you need to fly the pattern that is given for all out record setting passes.(2 passes in opposite directions)

I have power systems that would get me to the 195 mark,BUT I'm gonna have to run a bit of a dive to achieve it.....and that's not fair really in my eyes.

You could always set up a tripod in the runway stretch,have your friend film from a camera and the other running your radar gun,I do believe that you can run straight and level if desired.

Good luck.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
Quote:
I am claiming it, point closed, and I don't have to run both ways, as I am not in your contest, yet. 195 is cool, but it is not 215, agreed? Sorry if I rained on your parade, start building!

I have posted the target, go get it, dive from the moon, it's OK.
Really???
It was you who sent this rain??

How about I give you a thunder storm???

2 opposite passes make a record,now I'm gonna give you something to shoot for.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
We need rain, please send it here! Hottest summer on record, we are baking! I will capture more passes soon for the data hungry.........
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:20 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
I understand, I think. But how long should I will wait for more "proof" from others, (the plane has been out for 2 years so far)

Until then, 215mph stands.

No rain here, so with more props, we will spin her up and see what we get for the doppler fans. This set-up should be close to 185mph both ways, maybe more. The most aggressive prop on it will break 225mph or more diving, but I don't think it will get over 200 in the level reliably, but I'm sure it will do it on occasion, we will see.

To do it again, I might look for a nice compact 8S or 10S system to fit. The frame I have is real good, so I can update it no problem.
Its not about "proof" as I stated earlier.
Its about leveling the flying field ..............
Give everyone a fair chance at achieveing something.
Straight and level passes from opposite directions is something anyone can do.
Not everyone will have the wind you had, the dive you were able to do, the sun in the right place, the poles of the earth lined up in a .................. well - you see ?

Your FJU is awesome.
We just wish to see what we can try to achieve with all variables removed. Some see that as the true test of putting the power to the prop, others dont. But if you have done it your way already, youre 1/2 way to getting to the finish, as some see it. Lets get you there !

Thanks for seeing this from the "other side" .............
Diving is really alot of fun, for some, but is it really a true measure of what your power system can do ? You say "it sure is" ............. others ask for a different way to determine, but rest assured, eithor way - or both ways, thats 1 fast FJU !!!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
markus, cmon man, losen up, I said, I BELIVE you on the speed, but the way you think and measure, then all we need to do is take a day when its blowing like hell, get that funjet more heavy, get it up(yes its tricky), dives as hell, and point some good radargun, maybee 250mph? yes its plasibble if the wind is REALLY HARD... BUT you are missing the point we are trying to make, at least that I am trying to make, that is still a 185-190? mph setup/ultra TRUE speed, so what do I gain by making that strorm/typhoon wind BIG dive @ 230-240mph, but it is still a 185-190mph plane and setup... are you follow what I am trying to say ?

Tell me, where does the "truth" end, I did make a 220mph in my 600watts Turn Left, YES I DID, its in a picture of the gps, I also have a video of it, you cant doppler it as it was to much noise, but who cares ? Is my gps unit faulty ? can you prove it ? it will never end if we claim speeds that are nor real,,, and by real I mean the speed a plane can travel straight without help from wind and dives.. otherwise I can climb a mountain drop my steel plane and record 400mph in the end before it craches, does that makes me the world record holder ??
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
mopar, I will put a video of mine FJU 6s when it gets ready, I will do my own doppler , but of course, you can double check mine

Sebbe
I say throw your ultra up Sebbe,lets see what that system will do.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:39 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
I say throw your ultra up Sebbe,lets see what that system will do.
yepp I will, in time....