SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Thanks VIDEOPRO, it is a fun project and one that both of us are excited about. I believe this will turn out as expected, so when it does we are looking at offering the plans for it and possibly complete kits. But this is all yet to be determined.

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:20 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Looks good, I was going to go with a 70mm build initially but wanted to try the 50mm fans. I have yet to maiden mine because of weather I would be cautious on the thrust angle of the nacelles. I ran mine at 0 degree. The scale ones have a positive angle but the exhaust nozzles are swept to bring the thrust line back closer to 0. I was afraid that I would have to have a significant amount of up elevator trim to keep the plane from wanting to pitch down. ( guess I will find out when I maiden) When do you plan on starting construction? Greg (Lt599)
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:02 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Greg,

Thanks for the kind words. With regards to thrust angle, we haven't discussed that yet, but that's a good point. As for when construction will start? The A-10 is about 85+% done in the planning?CAD stage so I'm sure it will be soon. When all the bugs are worked out like CG, battery placement etc, then we can go ahead and cut out the pieces. The program my friend uses figures it all out for us and gives us less time at the field figuring it all out and more time in the air.

John
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
John, will be watching What program does your friend use? I use a couple of different CG calculators that have been quite accurate, then its just a matter of fine tuning. I have played around with CAD recently but it is defiantly time intensive to learn. I have always been a paper, pencil, protractor guy! Greg
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Greg,

I'm not sure what the program is called as he designed and built it himself years ago. The program figures it all out after all the dimensions, component weight/measures and placement are all placed on the model. It's pretty cool. I myself have been a paper, pencil, protractor guy too

John
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Trowbridge
Joined Sep 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeuce View Post
Hey everyone,
We are also working on making the nacelle's removable within the fuselage by four crews to allow the user to change from the EDF units to a tractor style configuration at the field. Giving longer flight times and a different type of power.

Tractor style power system is yet to be determined.......
I like the idea of removable nacelles, but I am thinking of pusher rather than tractor with just the outboard sections of the nacelles and a ring at the front so that it looks right in the air but does not blank the props, also it lets you play around with shims to adjust the thrust angles.
I hope you are going to post a pdf
Stevercflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stevercflyer
Last edited by Stevercflyer; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added thrust angles
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevercflyer View Post
I like the idea of removable nacelles, but I am thinking of pusher rather than tractor with just the outboard sections of the nacelles and a ring at the front so that it looks right in the air but does not blank the props, also it lets you play around with shims to adjust the thrust angles.
I hope you are going to post a pdf

Thanks for the thoughts. We were initially considering pusher props, but my friend has had previous success with tractor style props. Either having them in pusher or tractor the trust angles can be adjusted, and the way that it looks in the air will not change whether pusher or tractor. The only way to see is when we get it into the air If all goes well, we will be posting as a PDF file and possibly as a full kit.
Last edited by thedeuce; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:39 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
Hey all,

Since the holidays there hasn't been much work done on the A-10, we should be starting up again soon.

Cheers
Old May 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Any news on the build? The twin 50 I built is gone now After initial maiden problems I augured it in on Saturday. I added a post that explains what I believe the problems where. I will build another A10 at some point. Just wondering how your build is coming?
Old May 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,297 Posts
That sucks, I'll take a look at your thread. We haven't done much lately, my friend that is using his cad to design it has been. Yay with his business stuff. Hopefully soon though. That's why I started the thread on a KMP F-18 to pass the time. 😃
Old May 14, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
I will check it out