HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:44 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Finishing up

Seems like this is gradually finishing up! The last three days has been spent bringing everything together the final time.The last of the decorations were added and we're ready to move to the useful stuff.The wing was bolted down to start gluing the stabilizers to the tail.This time 30 minute epoxy was used to glue the horizontal stabilizer down first and then the fin after the stab was good and firmed up.After curing all of the tail members squared up nicely and then I prepared the moving bits for the hinges.The elevator was the first with the hinges glued in with thin CA.The rudder was next and the springs from the tail wheel assembly were connected to the tiller with soft steel wire.

I prepared some 1/8'' light ply servo rails and glued them to some bits of balsa stuck to the walls of the cabin.The 1/8" scrap was placed to the depth of where the servos would sit.It was just a simple matter of laying the rails just on top of the sticks.All was glued in with medium and thin CA.Next on the list was to epoxy some loop material to the receiver and speed control.These components were installed was well as the servos.

Now,to make everything work together!The yellow inserts for the control rods were inserted in the red sleeves.After measuring and cutting to size the last remnants of the red sleeves were trimmed and glued to another anchoring point using some scrap 1/8" balsa.I used the rubber tubing included in the package to make grommets for the red sleeves.After the grommets were slipped on they were coated in five minute epoxy.Some 2/56 threaded rods were bent with large Z bends and connected to the servos with EZ connectors.After much adjusting the trim and throw settings both rudder and elevator came out with the recommended settings of 1/2" ,both ways.

The receiver was finally connected to the ESC and the long antennae routed towards the tail.I removed the prop and proceeded to test the motor and servos all at once.The motor rotated the right way ,no servo reversing and no glitching!

Today mostly easy aesthetic chores were commenced.I took two different thicknesses of clear plastic and started making templates for the windows.For the wind shield,some .008 " plastic was cut out and glued to the hatch with Weldbond. I scuffed to edges of the plastic and anywhere the parts would come in contact with each other for a better bond.Everything was pinned until dry.The side windows were made from .015" plastic and installed the same way as the hatch.

Well, at this point there will be a few loose ends to tie up and we'll start getting ready for the first flight. Still need to collect some thrust data and pick my prop.
Most important, we just need some dry weather!
adam757 is offline Find More Posts by adam757
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,664 Posts
Obviously beautiful!

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:44 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
Class act Adam
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:02 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
I see you've been busy.

Great work, too.

The transparent blue with white trim, well, it's really nice. My hat is off to you.

I suppose the next time i look at this thread, I'll be seeing some In-flight pictures, at the rate you're going! Keep up the good work.

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:18 AM
Keep 'em flying!
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Thank you,Laramie Just got through putting the finishing touches on this little bird this evening.Besides some more photos I hope the weather will be conciliatory in the coming daysWe just came out of a drought here and there's been an abundant amount of rain to catch us up!My flying field has great drainage so just a few days of dry weather and everything's a go
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:50 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,288 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous model, especially the color scheme and trim!!!

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,987 Posts
You can be proud of this build, Adam! Your craftsmanship, photos and color choice really "clicked". Hope you have many enjoyable flights with this Dallaire Sportster.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
Thanks Greg and Joe,you guys are so kind!I may be looking at a first flight soon.The weather here is calming down, so it's now just a wait to see how dry my favorite flying field will be. Besides building these things from a fist full of wood,choosing the colors is exiting also.It complements my other interests nicely
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:18 AM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
Great job there adam757,really like the color scheme on the blue and white arch scallops,I need to modify my front bulk head to accept the electric brushless motor instead of the nitro motor that was going in it before.Your progress is really on par,as for me,it will be awhile soon.Will wait for that 1st flight from you soon,we're all looking for it.
XRated is offline Find More Posts by XRated
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam757 View Post
Thanks Greg and Joe,you guys are so kind!I may be looking at a first flight soon.The weather here is calming down, so it's now just a wait to see how dry my favorite flying field will be. Besides building these things from a fist full of wood,choosing the colors is exiting also.It complements my other interests nicely
Ah, looking at the colour scheme I thought you must have some artistic talent, that confirms it! A late friend of mine who was a wonderful craftsman and engineer used to produce the most beautiful of models, but sadly he had zero artistic talent or appreciation of colour combinations and used to finish them (beautifully of course) in the most jarring and ghastly colour schemes, it used to cause me physical pain to look at them sometimes! Eventually I couldn't stand it any more and when I knew a model of his was nearing completion I would go and camp in his workshop and try to divert him away from some of his worst ideas.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,987 Posts
Sundancer, I had to chuckle at your description of your friends covering "talents". Had an experience similiar to that with a good friend who could come up with the most glaring and gaudy color schemes imaginable on his models. It was some time later that I learned he was color-blind and, to him, the models looked great. We had a good laugh that day!

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,987 Posts
Adam, great job on the Navion! I could get the feeling of motion from the perspective chosen in the painting, and the way the pilot is depicted is a nice touch. You certainly have some talent, my friend. Bravo!!

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:39 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Beautiful! Good luck for the maiden..

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
Keep 'em flying!
Joined Jun 2008
97 Posts
First Flight!

Fabulous day today! At last, the time came for the maiden flight of this project.After getting back from a full scale flight with a dear friend of mine this morning,I decided that this afternoon would be ideal for a first flight. When I took my turn at the controls after my friend, we took notice on how the smooth the air was at 3000 feet.
So,it was reasonable to assume it may be pretty calm down belowWhen I arrived at the field everything was ready in short order.The first take off was quick and a little sensitive on the rudder.First thing I noted after being airborne it needed quite a lot of down elevator trim.I flew it around for the full planned 6 minutes and landed.After popping of the wing, just a little mechanical adjustment on the servo's EZ connector and back up for another flight.

On the second flight the adjustment did the trick for the elevator trim.The rudder needed nothing and I continued flying.The landing turned out nice and smooth,which needed a bit of power.I dinked the third landing because of misjudging the attitude on approach.No damage of course.The rest of the six flights were a pure delight.For maneuverability,it's surprisingly responsive but gentle.It holds altitude well at just 1/3 throttle.For stability,it flies hands off very well and self corrects readily.I proceeded to test stall characteristics at altitude with slow deceleration and low throttle.It'll slow down drastically before breaking forward with a bit of a shutter.Not much altitude loss either.For flight duration,this session's flights were conservatively conducted from 6 to 8 minutes.Total run time whilst upon the ground was at least 10 1/2 minutes.Also for this flight session,a 9x4.7 APC slow prop turning at a peak rpm of 7300 was used.

I'm quite pleased thus far with this little plane.The pros would be predictable handling,good maneuverability, and docile stall characteristics.Cons ,if you would even consider them so,may be sensitive rudder on take off and taxing.By the way the steerable tail wheel on this size was a great thing to have! To conclude,there a few personal firsts with this project.First,using a BEC on any scale of aircraft, second,my introduction of a 2.4 gHz rig for fixed wing,and last my first real rendition of a vintage design.I managed to snap a few in flight photos
today and hope to have some video soon.Cheers!