SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
3,124 Posts
Check that your flight controller is fully secured to the frame.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 03:31 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,462 Posts
It's easy to test batteries, just do some throttle pumps. If the batteries are faded, the motors will hesitate to speed up, as the throttle burst makes the voltage sag. But a loose board sounds more likely.

I ordered a couple of Lectron 45C. I considered the Turnigy 160 (non nano) but HK only has these in global warehouse, and cheapest shipping is 23 USD. 10 times as much as single battery...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old May 20, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by FredYates
United States, OR, Lebanon
Joined Jul 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
I bought a lectron four pack. Flew them maybe three times. When I got overseas, I went to fly and they were all useless. Maybe thirty to ninety seconds flight time.

The stock battery is still going strong. So I got stuck travelling with a bunch of dead batteries.
I picked my nQX up on eBay with three free Lectron batts. One was bad out of the box, the other two died after about 5 flights. I'd say they have terrible QC.
FredYates is online now Find More Posts by FredYates
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM
Find More Posts by FlyingSalo
Joined Feb 2015
32 Posts
Hello,
back again with yet another question. I have recently bought a second nqx board so I could fly two quads alternating. Due to a soldering mishap I think I killed one of the fets (if I leave the fet out of the circuit the motor runs at full speed). I decided to swap in the newer board and noticed that throttle control was much more precise especially at low stick. Also I could spin it up slowly while with the old fc the quad would start shooting up as soon as I merely touched the stick (didnt mind as I like going fast )

Also I noticed that on the newer board all the fets were at the bottom of the board while on the old one one of them was on top and three on the bottom. Also I would like to repair the old one. Do you think that these fets would do? http://www.mouser.de/Semiconductors/...FSr3wgode10A1g

This makes me wonder: How many versions of the board are there and how do they differ?

Thanks

Phil
FlyingSalo is online now Find More Posts by FlyingSalo
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by jermar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2013
78 Posts
F Salo: That's a lot of work to "perhaps" repair your old board. I just bought a new FC on Ebay
for $22.39 inc shipping. At those prices, why bother fixing an old board?
I agree with Fred Y: I think Lectron's are terrible! Questions about them have been posted dozens of times. "Search Thread" is your friend.
jermar is offline Find More Posts by jermar
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,462 Posts
I did a search, and verdict seems very split. Some think these are crap, some are really happy with these. Maybe there is a lot of variation in quality.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Yesterday at 07:52 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by FredYates
United States, OR, Lebanon
Joined Jul 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I did a search, and verdict seems very split. Some think these are crap, some are really happy with these. Maybe there is a lot of variation in quality.
Your last line says it all. Any product that has a lot of variation in quality is a bad product. How many must you buy before you get a good one? What is the real price per battery? How much downtime before you get to have fun? Flying 1 minute vs. 5 minutes sucks.

The problem is that with smaller batteries the process is more stringent since they have a much smaller volume of material that must be distributed very precisely. Think of it this way: a variation of 0.001" out of 1" vs. 0.001" out of 0.01". The error is 0.001" in both cases, but the magnitude of the error is 100 times worse.
FredYates is online now Find More Posts by FredYates
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by jermar
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jul 2013
78 Posts
Unfortunately, many people buy batteries and post how great they are after a few flights. This does not tell the whole story. I want to know how they perform after a few months.
jermar is offline Find More Posts by jermar
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by tiforce
United States, GA, Tifton
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Yeah I've been searching for a good battery for the nqx and ncpx and can't really find anything. It would be nice to have an actual battery thread for the nqx, ncpx, etc so the information is more concentrated into one area instead of spread out through threads all over the place.
tiforce is offline Find More Posts by tiforce
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingSalo
Joined Feb 2015
32 Posts
I had a few 205 mAh batteries from mylipo.de I was very happy with. They also have smaller ones 135, 150 and 175 I believe.

They lasted well over a year with many flights on them. Flight times were shorter towards the end and lvc hit early but that was also due to a failing motor. lvc hit after about 3 minutes but the batteries still were at about 3.85 V when I checked right after flight.

I have no hard numbers only how I percieved their performance. I was happy with them. Still have them but the nqx boards I have now power bigger motors and need more power.
FlyingSalo is online now Find More Posts by FlyingSalo
Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
15,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredYates View Post
Your last line says it all. Any product that has a lot of variation in quality is a bad product. How many must you buy before you get a good one? What is the real price per battery? How much downtime before you get to have fun? Flying 1 minute vs. 5 minutes sucks.

The problem is that with smaller batteries the process is more stringent since they have a much smaller volume of material that must be distributed very precisely. Think of it this way: a variation of 0.001" out of 1" vs. 0.001" out of 0.01". The error is 0.001" in both cases, but the magnitude of the error is 100 times worse.
True, but in some cases the price difference, shipped to the EU, is so big, that you can get almost 4 batteries of mixed quality, for one known good one, in this case the Blade 150 45C lipo. So even if 3 out of 4 cheap batteries go bad, you still "break even". But suppose the odds of getting a bad battery are 50%, you will still have 2 batteries for the price of one known good one.

It is a gamble, but with odds like that, it could work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermar View Post
Unfortunately, many people buy batteries and post how great they are after a few flights. This does not tell the whole story. I want to know how they perform after a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiforce View Post
Yeah I've been searching for a good battery for the nqx and ncpx and can't really find anything. It would be nice to have an actual battery thread for the nqx, ncpx, etc so the information is more concentrated into one area instead of spread out through threads all over the place.
That sounds like a great idea, or have info like this added to the first posting, so you easily see what batteries are used for a longer period without fading quick, and what are best avoided. A seperate thread, unless sticky, will be hard to locate since there are some many messages posted on the multirotor subforum each day.

If info like this is put in the starting post, all one needs to do is find the main Nano thread, and presto! It could also contain links to individual postings, that review batteries, like the one you see below here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSalo View Post
I had a few 205 mAh batteries from mylipo.de I was very happy with. They also have smaller ones 135, 150 and 175 I believe.

They lasted well over a year with many flights on them. Flight times were shorter towards the end and lvc hit early but that was also due to a failing motor. lvc hit after about 3 minutes but the batteries still were at about 3.85 V when I checked right after flight.

I have no hard numbers only how I percieved their performance. I was happy with them. Still have them but the nqx boards I have now power bigger motors and need more power.
Old Today, 01:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
That sounds like a great idea, or have info like this added to the first posting, so you easily see what batteries are used for a longer period without fading quick, and what are best avoided. A seperate thread, unless sticky, will be hard to locate since there are some many messages posted on the multirotor subforum each day.

If info like this is put in the starting post, all one needs to do is find the main Nano thread, and presto! It could also contain links to individual postings, that review batteries, like the one you see below here.
Yeah inserting into the first post would work great. IMO, a battery thread should hold enough value to be stickied, as batteries are just as vital as the copter itself. Albeit, not nearly as expensive, but a very important piece of the system. As you all know, there's a big difference in enjoyment between 1min flight time and 5min flight time. Even 3 min vs 5 min, as a 5 min flight is a 67% increase in flight time over a 3 min flight.
Old Today, 01:39 AM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSalo View Post

Thanks for the input. Hard numbers are nice, but personal experience is extremely helpful.
Old Today, 03:17 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,366 Posts
I have used E-flite 150 ma 45 C batteries since they came out. They work and work great. hold up and get great flights with them. I tried Nano tech/ even Pulse. Pulse were ok, N/T trash. I don't seek cheap batteries to save a few bucks. Ya buy cheap ya get cheap.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Today, 07:09 AM
Joined Jul 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I have used E-flite 150 ma 45 C batteries since they came out. They work and work great. hold up and get great flights with them. I tried Nano tech/ even Pulse. Pulse were ok, N/T trash. I don't seek cheap batteries to save a few bucks. Ya buy cheap ya get cheap.
Yeah I've thrown away a pile of the Turnigy nano tech lipos this size so I'm with you there, however, I feel that there's a balance that's struck on the larger lipo batteries where you can save a heck of a lot of dough, but still get a good battery. For example, I have several 3s 5000mah Turnigy batteries that have performed very well and are holding up very well. In fact I have a range of different size lipos from Turnigy that are great batteries, it just seems the problem is with these smaller batteries.

Perhaps the cheaper price is from a much lower quality control on these smaller batteries for them to sell cheaper? Maybe it's cost effective to provide good quality control with the larger batteries that may have a larger profit margin? Because when you're looking at a $50 lipo from the manufacturer and you can make and sell a replacement for $25 there's a lot more wiggle room there than a $4 battery from manufacturer and you need to sell your replacement for $2 to be competitive.

I don't know, I'm just trying to figure it out. A lot of people were raving about the Glacier lipo replacements this size but I guess they will no longer make those.