New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2015, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
I'm a little confused about the head tracker problem..........as you are controlling the pan/tilt? servos from your Tx, so you have channels there. I use EZUHF, and the head tracker module plugs direct into the module, so it never needs to enter the radio itself, does the Rlink module have the same facility? If so, then you don't need the trainer port, and as long as you have enough channels on the Rlink, then it should give you the HT control.
Sorry if I'm "preaching to the converted", as you certainly have a lot more experience with RC than I do, but I'm just interested.
FPVsummituk is online now Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by BigTradioman
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk View Post
I'm a little confused about the head tracker problem..........as you are controlling the pan/tilt? servos from your Tx, so you have channels there. I use EZUHF, and the head tracker module plugs direct into the module, so it never needs to enter the radio itself, does the Rlink module have the same facility? If so, then you don't need the trainer port, and as long as you have enough channels on the Rlink, then it should give you the HT control.
Sorry if I'm "preaching to the converted", as you certainly have a lot more experience with RC than I do, but I'm just interested.

Yes there is the ability to connect a HT direct to the tx module via the trainer port. But as I said, the trainer port on my 14sg is faulty. I think it was like that from new, I just never found out until the warranty expired as I gave up trained RC years back due to burn out. Plus with the 14sg you need loads of special cables to adapt to other Futaba tx's.
The other issue is that as I use the companion method of control I would need to cable up from the gogs to the tx module which defeats the object of being able to sit inside the house, caravan, car and drive the car with the video out on the big telly screen. 😃

On the other set up, the gold one, we are using the EzUhf system mounted on to the back of an Super 8FG so we can head tracker that. Eventually!!

Video is by readymade RC, currently we are using channels 9and H on dipole antenna transmitting to the RMRC rx which is hard wired to a 2.4 rx which transmits to the gogs or a base station rx. This was to give mobility and the ability to stick the rx up a pole. Reception is pretty good but I think we are getting interference from the brushed motors or the Mobius (a known EMF radiator in the airborne FPV world just like the GoPro ) I think range would improve if we used skews on both ends, but they are fragile in a rollover. We may try a skew on the rx end.
BigTradioman is offline Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Old May 20, 2015, 07:33 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
Yes there is the ability to connect a HT direct to the tx module via the trainer port. But as I said, the trainer port on my 14sg is faulty. I think it was like that from new, I just never found out until the warranty expired as I gave up trained RC years back due to burn out. Plus with the 14sg you need loads of special cables to adapt to other Futaba tx's.
The other issue is that as I use the companion method of control I would need to cable up from the gogs to the tx module which defeats the object of being able to sit inside the house, caravan, car and drive the car with the video out on the big telly screen. ��

On the other set up, the gold one, we are using the EzUhf system mounted on to the back of an Super 8FG so we can head tracker that. Eventually!!

Video is by readymade RC, currently we are using channels 9and H on dipole antenna transmitting to the RMRC rx which is hard wired to a 2.4 rx which transmits to the gogs or a base station rx. This was to give mobility and the ability to stick the rx up a pole. Reception is pretty good but I think we are getting interference from the brushed motors or the Mobius (a known EMF radiator in the airborne FPV world just like the GoPro ) I think range would improve if we used skews on both ends, but they are fragile in a rollover. We may try a skew on the rx end.
I use the Super 8FG.......it's a great bit of kit for the price.......shame that they only ran it for a couple of years.
You say that your RMRC VTx is hard wired to a 2.4, then to goggles........did you mean 5.8 to goggles?
I use the MadMushroom antenna on the truck, and have polled it several times, but just needed to bend the antenna wires back into shape, and there was no stress put on the VTx.........whereas when I rolled with a monopole, it was so stiff that the end was permanently bent and the impact was so heavy that it ripped the velcro'd VTx off it's mount, I was luck not to have damaged the VTx.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 20, 2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by zuloo
FPV Tonka Summit (Starter)
United Kingdom
Joined Apr 2013
293 Posts
Zuloo returns to retire!! Possibly sell Baby Bee!!!

Hiya guys its been long while i know but i am now looking to possibly sell my tonka summit one of the earlier tonka summits created maybe number 5 or six i think, the 'babyBee' I loved making it much more than i ever did enjoy driving it. Ill be looking for a fair price im just not sure what that is yet hopefully you guys can help??
zuloo is offline Find More Posts by zuloo
Old May 20, 2015, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by pshelton
United States, WA, Quincy
Joined Aug 2013
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuloo View Post
Hiya guys its been long while i know but i am now looking to possibly sell my tonka summit one of the earlier tonka summits created maybe number 5 or six i think, the 'babyBee' I loved making it much more than i ever did enjoy driving it. Ill be looking for a fair price im just not sure what that is yet hopefully you guys can help??
I will probably be selling mine soon too, I have a full extra Tonka Chevron truck/toy to go along with this:
pshelton is online now Find More Posts by pshelton
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,185 Posts
Guys......it's always a shame to see people drop out.......sorry to hear it.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Joined Aug 2013
676 Posts
Quote:
Guys......it's always a shame to see people drop out.......sorry to hear it.
It's tough to have to choose between my ground or sky, but I just have more fun running my quads/hexes/planes. If I had unlimited funds/time I would just do both.
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2009
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshelton View Post
It's tough to have to choose between my ground or sky, but I just have more fun running my quads/hexes/planes. If I had unlimited funds/time I would just do both.

I am sure you will get a good price for the TS. In the UK used summits make around 350 for a worn out one to 500 for a nice on so the TS with GoPro should make good money if offered in the right forum. Good luck
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
838 Posts
FPV Tonka Summit

Quote:
I use the Super 8FG.......it's a great bit of kit for the price.......shame that they only ran it for a couple of years.
You say that your RMRC VTx is hard wired to a 2.4, then to goggles........did you mean 5.8 to goggles?
I use the MadMushroom antenna on the truck, and have polled it several times, but just needed to bend the antenna wires back into shape, and there was no stress put on the VTx.........whereas when I rolled with a monopole, it was so stiff that the end was permanently bent and the impact was so heavy that it ripped the velcro'd VTx off it's mount, I was luck not to have damaged the VTx.

Yes the gogs are 5.8 as that's what we use for air FPV at the moment. The new antenna we have are just so flexible, Ibecrazy sells a dipole that works flat so that's another option. BTWyou for those that don't know you can upgrade an 8 fg to 14 channels for nothing with the firmware update.

I just found out that I can bind multiple Rlink rx to one tx so I can get 14 channels working on the TS. So rocket launcher, siren, second camera (suspension cam maybe)
Last edited by BigTradioman; Yesterday at 01:20 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2013
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTradioman View Post
I am sure you will get a good price for the TS. In the UK used summits make around 350 for a worn out one to 500 for a nice on so the TS with GoPro should make good money if offered in the right forum. Good luck
I have lots of upgrades, and new batteries/motor/spare parts/extra Chevron Tonka complete truck, and all the parts for the gimbal that I never got around to installing. But I'm pulling my radio I'd ship internationally too, but buyer would have to pay shipping and vat.