rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
Discussion
best deal sailplane ...

hello I wanted to ask some input on a new sailplane choice ..I wanted to find a arf
as I don't have time to build .My budget was for 250.00 max, just for the arf as I would still need to buy batts, motor, and speed control .

Looking for a good themal ship ,2 meter size or so with full control and maybe flaps. Wide speed range .... light weight ship
Color that you could see high up ... I know its a lot to ask for in that price range ..

thanks rt Would the astra from soaring usa fit the bill ? or Astra 2.15E F5J/ALES (ARF from esprit model ? is a bit bigger or ok
rct is offline Find More Posts by rct
Last edited by rct; Apr 24, 2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: info
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:03 PM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
anyone ? help

anyone... help
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
2,990 Posts
Hi, rct.

The Astra is a beautiful bird but it's rather lightly built. I did the maiden flight on one for a friend and it will go plenty fast but won't tolerate high G forces. If you want to include some "bank and yank" flying the Omega looks a little stronger but I have not seen one in person.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:55 PM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
re

thanks. I have looked into the omega too .. hummmm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,374 Posts
You probably don't want to hear it if you're a beginner (I didn't when I was new), but you don't need ailerons, and probably never will unless you get into some very serious competition style flying.

With that in mind, you can hardly do better than the lowly original 3 channel Radian, and the RTF version is right there at your price point. People routinely win ALES competitions with Radians, and the airplane is popular enough that saying it has a cult following is not an overstatement. It's not sexy, but it flies damn well.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:03 PM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
re

hey ,,thanks for the input ..I now fly with rudder only and have had a few gliders thru
the years with ailerons . I liked the extra control when its a bit windy ,or a tight thermal that tries to kick you out !

I'll consider the foam ,! thanks

I try not to bank and yank and fly as smooth as I can . I'm leaning to the astra but
would rather have it in red , Looks like yellow is all that available now .

I would not mind going thru the frame to strengthen any weak areas .Also maybe change bottom of wing black

Anyone who would have some ideas as to where or how to fix weak areas would be appreciated . build threads ?
rt
Last edited by rct; Apr 25, 2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: info
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,990 Posts
Hi again.

It's amazing what one can do to dress up transparent wings. I can see my Specter, which came with transparent yellow wings and white fuse, as far away as any 2 meter glider I've owned and under the right lighting I can see it's orientation almost as far as I can see it. And my eyes don't work as well as they did 20 years ago!

My very first RC glider, successful glider, is a Mark's Windward I built in approximately 1972. has a transparent yellow wing with a wide metallic blue stripe on the left wing and metallic blue fuselage. It still flies on occasion and it's still very easy to see.

On anything but a scale plane I am a big believer in asymmetric color schemes for orientation. And I color scale planes with a "scale-like" scheme that uses the colors I can see best. Different eyes see different colors differently but a good rule of thumb is to mix light and dark transparent wings and/or tail with fluorescent accents. I can see the orange a bit better under most lighting but the yellow stands out as well.

I'll also include a pic of my dearly departed Decathlon. The combination of bright orange, yellow, and metallic blue was excellent for mid range visibility and orientation. At least to my eyes.

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 09:45 AM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
re

Really great looking glider.Is that a warm liner ? How does it thermal ? rt
Old Apr 26, 2015, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,990 Posts
Thanks. All I did was add some stripes from the scrap box and some orange paint. It's a Specter 1800 from Hobbyking which is the same as the Passer-X from R2 and the Manticore from FkyFly. It's not a warmliner. It can handle the speed but not the G-forces of serious bank and yank. Mine weighs just under 900 grams and has a wing loading of just over 9 oz. per square foot. It will soar if there's any lift at all but even with a bit of flaperon it doesn't like to fly terribly slow. I think it's a very capable general purpose sailplane. Oh yeah. With the KDA 22-20L motor it climbs as high as I like it in 10-15 seconds and I don't use full throttle unless I'm going almost straight up.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688351

Cheers!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,127 Posts
The Avia is nice. We have 2 in the club.
http://www.espritmodel.com/avia-2-5e...s-arc-arf.aspx

Meteor
http://www.espritmodel.com/meteor-2e-f5j-ales-arf.aspx

Pegasus
http://www.espritmodel.com/pegasus-2e-f5jales-arf.aspx

Siesta
http://www.espritmodel.com/siesta-19e-f5jales-arf.aspx
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:31 PM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
re

Thanks much aeajr
WoW the Pegasus really caught my eye at that size ,full house, and super light wing loading and price point !

Has anyone some sugestions to power setups to save weight and still balance ?

3 good 900' pulls is good for me . Wouls like to get it in red as it would be better to see and then add some black stripes on bottom . rt
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,990 Posts
Hi again.

The Pegasus is a really nice pure floater but it does, IIRC, have a reputation for flutter at high speeds.

Cheers!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by old1104
Joined Nov 2013
100 Posts
I found I like the Phoenix 2000. It took a few flights to learn how to fly it. It flies good with full flap deployed. It slows down slower than my Radian. I do not have experience with ailerons and flaps but am able to fly it. Even when flying with flaps down and flying slowly, it like to be flying with the trim on the faster sided of trim. It is heavy but only about 100 bucks and just needs two servos for flaps and receiver. It is slightly under powered. Mine needed wt in the tail to balance and I modified the rudder to fix and increase size of the rudder and the fix balanced the glider. There is a good write up on the Phoenix 2000. I plan it in flying it in a foamy contest this week. I have a Radian which flies great and is much easier to fly and turns into thermals real well. You do not have to worry about over controlling a Radian like a glider with ailerons. All I know is there is a lot of good looking gliders in your price range.

I found swap meets are the best place to get a glider for a good price. Also the RC Groups sale site is a good place to find good used gliders.

Phoenix site
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338888
old1104 is offline Find More Posts by old1104
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:56 AM
rct
Find More Posts by rct
rct
ohio
Joined Apr 2003
185 Posts
re flutter for this model

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...jales-arf.aspx
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,127 Posts
Don't see the reference to flutter. Which post?

My experience with thermal ships is that if you get them going fast enough many of them will flutter. They are not made to go fast. They are made to go slow.

surface flutter is often caused by sloppy linkage installation. If you have a lot of slop in the linkage you are asking for flutter.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr