Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by extremewing
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Setting up the Taranis for a DLG - updated 9 March 2015

After a recent, deeper understanding of OpenTX: Presenting a template for the Taranis of a DLG requiring only initial setting of servo directions and then GVAR's while making maximum use of the trim switches, simplifying your path to a flyable DLG.

Features:

- EEPE version 4 adds sounds using The "Amber" Transmitter Sound Pack from here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2151914
- EEPE version 4 adds ability to assign switches using the INPUTS screen.
- EEPE version 4.1 adds ability to exit zoom mode by changing flight modes and improved flap stick up / down logic.
- Throttle stick controls flaps
- All flight modes have custom elevator and flap offsets controlled by their trim switches.
- Launch mode (Switch SF) adds an adjustable (up ONLY for safety) elevator deflection using the elevator trim.
- Zoom mode or "ultra speed mode" mode has vibration and tone warnings so you know the flight mode switch and flaps are not active (or ignored) while in this mode which is typically used only during the first few seconds of the launch climb out.
- Exit Zoom mode to your pre-selected (Switch SE) Speed, Cruise or Thermal modes by toggling flap stick below 80% then up again (In 4.1 pulling flaps down OR changing flight modes will also exit zoom mode)
- Speed, Cruise and Thermal modes (Switch SE)
- Snap Flaps enabled / disabled by switch SH.
- Aileron to Rudder mix (default of 50%)
- Volume(S2), backlight (SC), RX voltage (SC), Timers (SB and SF), vario tones (SD), altitude readout (SG), and more...

Reducing workload on quick turnarounds:

- Switch to speed mode on approach, deploy flaps, tip catch.
- Pull launch preset and launch, leaving the flap stick down..
- During the climb, choose when to exit Zoom mode by pushing flap stick up.

Using this flow takes a small amount of adjustment (in leaving the flaps down) but feels natural after a few goes and I thought it worked pretty well. It really feels like less to do not having to think about the flaps at all during the launch.

Recommended configuration sequence and global variables meaning

STEP 1: FZero (Flap Zero): Set to a number that makes the ailerons level (as in cruise mode) AND using the aileron trim switch, level the ailerons.
* If you cannot get the ailerons level within trim range, change the aileron servo's subtrim settings directly to their own, different values till the ailerons are level.

STEP 2: ADiff (Aileron differential): Set this to give the desired aileron differential RATIO of up to down

STEP 3: AThrow (Aileron Throw): Set to the desired max deflection from the aileron stick and if ailerons ended up reversed after step 4, reverse this number (+100 becomes -100)
* If necessary, adjust AMin (Aileron Minimum) and AMax (Aileron Maximum) to give desired maximum flap deflection or up movement of the ailerons.
If you cannot get throws even left to right, change the aileron servo's Min and Max values to their own, different values instead of the GVAR's.
This may be necessary if the geometry of your servo's/horns/centering is different left to right.

STEP 4:
(eepe Version 3 only)
EThrow (Elevator Throw): Set for max desired deflection from the elevator stick. Use elevator servo's Min and Max in eepe version 4 and up.

(Version 4 and up)
Slider: Set for max desired deflection from the slider. 0 for no effect.

STEP 5: F-Elev (Flap to Elevator mix): Sets the max amount of elevator to flap mix following Curve2. The default of -100 is a bit much. I ended up with -40.

STEP 6: A-Rudd (Aileron to Rudder mix): Set for desired Aileron to Rudder mix

STEP 7: SnpFlp (Snap Flaps): Set for the desired amount of Snap Flaps, this mix can be disabled using switch SH

After following these steps, the DLG should have all surfaces effectively in "Cruise" mode and responding correctly to all stick controls.

Toggling SF should invoke launch preset and the elevator should have some upward deflection. All flight modes leave the elevator and aileron surfaces unchanged.

STEP 8: Setup aileron deflections for each flight mode using the Flap (Throttle) trim switch. Cycle through flight modes to set and verify desired deflections.
* Elevator compensation for each flight mode is taken care of by careful order of mixes "under the hood"

Use elevator trim in Launch mode to adjust the amount of up deflection (built in safety provided by Curve3 does not allow the trim to cause down elevator by mistake - even with full forward trim)

All flight modes have their own elevator trim.

Launch preset adds its own trim to the ailerons to allow an offset during launch.
Right slider for flap trim. After launch and zoom mode sequence, this slider is left inactive till you move it all the way forward.

Using the EEPE file to configure a new model with OpenTX Companion:
1) Read your models and settings into Companion
2) Copy the AD.DLG.X model from the attached EEPE (open it from Companion) to your models and settings from step 1
3) Restart the radio and select the new AD.DLG.X model then bind to the receiver
4) Use the reverse function on the Servo settings to get the elevator, rudder and FLAPS moving in the right direction. (The ailerons may be reversed after this step. We fix that later). If the flaps are reversed, reverse both flap servo's.
5) Configure the Global Variables
6) NEW!! (eepe version 4) From the INPUTS page, change switches for each function as desired. Make sure the same switch is not referenced twice.

If you got all the way to here, I hope you have a working setup or you found this useful.

Please feel free to give feedback or otherwise comment?
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by extremewing; Apr 17, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2015, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,957 Posts
I think this program rocks!
I added some logic with Adrians help so I have camber on the LS slider. and the slider is deactivated until you set it back to center for a micro second. Then pushing the slider forward adds camber. This keeps camber from being added right as you come out of zoom mode into whatever flight mode you selected. I also put my flight modes on the SA switch rather than the SE so it is away from the launch switch and I can glance down and see by the switch what mode it is in. Yes it says on the screen also, but not until you lower the throttle below 80% and back up.
You will want to go into the servo screen to set the limits of your elevator and rudder so you wont harm the linkage. Setting this in the servo page will limit the travel so no matter the combination of elev to flaps and elevator these limits will be respected.

I forgot how I set my max flap down limit position.
This program has a 5 point curve for the flaps (curve 2) ? I am used to a straight line of flaps to stick and I think I need an additional curve for the elevator addition. This was majorly true for my aerial.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Last edited by elkski; Mar 02, 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,662 Posts
So far so good. Easy Peasy setup. Thanks AD
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by corsha99
launch height can't fix stupid
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jun 2005
1,443 Posts
Boring!!!! I would expect so much more from a software guy.
corsha99 is offline Find More Posts by corsha99
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:19 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsha99 View Post
mmm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wireless charging for your RC
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,662 Posts
Quote:
Me to, imagine my surprise when it actually worked well, and I could understand it!!!!! Well done AD.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Mar 03, 2015, 12:47 AM
Find More Posts by funkz
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
and the slider is deactivated until you set it back to center for a micro second.
How's that programmed? Thanks in advance.
funkz is offline Find More Posts by funkz
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:10 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkz View Post
How's that programmed? Thanks in advance.
I have added another version that includes the slider function from Randy. See OP.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:38 AM
Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Rick Rogahn
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing View Post
* If you cannot get the ailerons level within trim range, change the aileron servo's subtrim settings directly to their own, different values till the ailerons are level.
Wouldn't it be better to use the 'centering' feature (far right column in the servos screen)? I believe sub-trim reduces servo throw, yeah? Thanks for putting this together Adrian, I'll take a look at the 'disable' function / setting and apply to mine (have things set up how I like them ATM). This will definitely help those just jumping into the Taranis!
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:51 AM
Find More Posts by funkz
United States, NC, Cornelius
Joined Jul 2012
439 Posts
Thanks for posting the slider version. I have mine on RS now and only available to cruise mode.. it has become a reason to go less and less into the hard coded thermal or speed mode.. I started to fly with my finger on the slider and it has helped me to rediscover my planes in a diff way. With the 'disable' function I might get the slider back to LS where it might be more comfortable for mode 2 pilots. Will see in a moment, sun is shining!
funkz is offline Find More Posts by funkz
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:17 AM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Sloper View Post
Wouldn't it be better to use the 'centering' feature (far right column in the servos screen)? I believe sub-trim reduces servo throw, yeah? Thanks for putting this together Adrian, I'll take a look at the 'disable' function / setting and apply to mine (have things set up how I like them ATM). This will definitely help those just jumping into the Taranis!
Sub trim should not reduce throw since throw is more related to your servo installation, ie the servo either has enough throw or not. Min and Max would reduce (or increase) throw and this is sometimes necessary depending on servo installation.
The 'centering' feature should have a similar result.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Rick Rogahn
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing View Post
Sub trim should not reduce throw since throw is more related to your servo installation, ie the servo either has enough throw or not. Min and Max would reduce (or increase) throw and this is sometimes necessary depending on servo installation.
The 'centering' feature should have a similar result.
Cool, thanks man. Checked the manual, posting for clarity for anyone wondering what we are talking about . Sub-Trim / Centering / Limits w/ subtrim settings in the attached image.
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by jensdk
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
484 Posts
Quote:
No sounds, no alarms,
put alarm on launchpreset to give you a tone when everything is OK and another tone to if something is wrong.
play a track of your favorite music "fly me to the moon"
play an alarm when you have reached the countdowntime.
make your trimsettings for one flightmode or for them all," exciting "

"Taranis no limits"
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Mar 03, 2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by tom43004
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,947 Posts
There is a quirk that I've found (at least in my program) that when I dial in more than about 20% subtrim on a surface, the radio adjusts the travel of that surface downward by a significant percentage, almost like a dual rate. The travel reduction is in both directions and throughout the range of travel for the surface. I found it on a flapperon when putting my radio program on a model that I didn't build. The reduction doesn't come in a linear fashion either... it's like when you hit a threshold, the behavior is triggered.

Lesson learned... subtrims are for fine tuning, make sure servos are at center when you build. I'm not sure if this is a behavior that can be turned off but I've been able to recreate it.

Great writeup AD. Still getting used to mine but it's a very flexible interface, and having come from the Multiplex 4000 world (assign a stick to a function, assign the function to servos, mix away) I'm a big fan so far.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 03, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by elkski
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,957 Posts
Adrian is just getting started in the taranis. He has always flown with very simple programming as he prefers to just fly it. He likes simplicity and this is just a good entry level starter program. It is quick to get running and has all the basic features that you need to fly a DLG.
I am confident Adrian will be bitten by what this TX can do and never stop improving on a taranis program. THe bulldog has bitten.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski