Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by BearBow
Freedom isn't Free
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
Hey Brad. We heard rumors at the field that you are now a turbine person. True?
Not yet, but getting serious....I did put in a conditional order, but pulled it....doing more homework, but looking, yes.

Finally got out for 2hrs Sat afternoon at NVRC (had church duties in the AM, so couldn't get south to FARCC) and maidened my little Extreme Flight Extra 300, that is the little brother to my 104" EF Extra w/DA-120....soon to maiden as well, as soon as I mount the batteries for CG.

By the way, the little Extra (60") is on a 6s system Motrolfly and flew amazing....this is my first Extra....always flew Edges....but like both. Impressive kit and flight characteristics.
BearBow is offline Find More Posts by BearBow
Last edited by BearBow; Apr 19, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:31 PM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Lorton latest is that pretty much all the paperwork is done...expect to put seed down in May. If it takes, could be flying July/Aug maybe....not holding my breath though....we were just told of a one time fee of $7500 the Club had to pay the County to offset expenses of, get this, purifying Rain Water runoff. WOW.....so it's another bill that will be levied on the Lorton flyers...to be clear, any flyer that uses Lorton, must join NVRC as a full member, and then will be assessed an additional fee to be one of the 75 (max) registered users of Lorton....if we grow, I'd suggest you become one of the ground floor 75 or you could be left out...but those 75 will be levied a tax to fly, of an additional $30/year was the approximate number thrown out at the meeting....to have use of Lorton. It would likely be for 3yrs or so, to offset all these initial startup costs....it could be rescinded down the road....also, if we actually get to fly this year, there is no additional levy for 2015....it'll kick in 2016.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,691 Posts
That's a bargain for having two flying fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
Lorton latest is that pretty much all the paperwork is done...expect to put seed down in May. If it takes, could be flying July/Aug maybe....not holding my breath though....we were just told of a one time fee of $7500 the Club had to pay the County to offset expenses of, get this, purifying Rain Water runoff. WOW.....so it's another bill that will be levied on the Lorton flyers...to be clear, any flyer that uses Lorton, must join NVRC as a full member, and then will be assessed an additional fee to be one of the 75 (max) registered users of Lorton....if we grow, I'd suggest you become one of the ground floor 75 or you could be left out...but those 75 will be levied a tax to fly, of an additional $30/year was the approximate number thrown out at the meeting....to have use of Lorton. It would likely be for 3yrs or so, to offset all these initial startup costs....it could be rescinded down the road....also, if we actually get to fly this year, there is no additional levy for 2015....it'll kick in 2016.
PontiusPilate is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Apr 20, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by mirored
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
That's a bargain for having two flying fields.
Sign me up. How do I get a seat within the 75?
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by JPHen
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Nov 2003
1,474 Posts
Funny but still have this. Prior guy backed out after sending payments. In any event, it's back up.

If anyone is interested, let me know. I may consider a trade and cash as I'm looking for a truck for my son (and to tow my boat). Just pm for details. Thanks.

Joe

Probably going to sell my Bobcat XL. Not flying much due to a herniated disk in my neck. PT is coming along. Plus I will still have others to fly when I heal. PM me for details/more pics. Basically add your turbine and go fly (with spektrum).
JPHen is offline Find More Posts by JPHen
Old Apr 26, 2015, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,369 Posts
The rain wasn't supposed to come until late afternoon yesterday but it started late morning. I had already made the drive to FARCC so I flew in the light rain anyway. I needed to knock some of the winter rust off before the Heli Spring Fling next weekend.
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Oso M
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Yes... I want to sign on for Lorton too.
Oso M is online now Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by smoothvirus
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Yes... I want to sign on for Lorton too.
Hey man, long time no hear! Did you get any more flights out of the X8? Mine sat in the garage for a couple of years and I flew a Penguin instead. This year I want to get mine in the air.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
Old May 01, 2015, 04:02 AM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Sign me up. How do I get a seat within the 75?
You must be a member of NVRC first. For 2015 there will be no addl fee. Next year the club will assess those 75 folks a Lorton fee. I don't know how they intend to parse out the 75. They don't think they'll have 75 interested. That may be true for now but once the word gets out the field is open I think the 75 will rapidly.

So I'd join NVRC ASAP and let Gary Q know you want on the list for Lorton. Don't wait to join NVRC. BEST TO GET IN ON GROUND FLOOR.
Old May 01, 2015, 04:10 AM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Also I went and found the rough location yesterday. A lot of folks were worried about it being on top of the landfill and said we'd get massive winds as a result.
Bull. The top if you will is like a mile long. You're not on a peaked pyramid. Wind will be no different than most locations from what I saw.
One concern when I asked a guard where the exact location.....said it hadn't been started yet but was due to be done. I told him grass was to be planted in 2 weeks and he said no problem. We can grow grass in no time. But the fact I was in the right area and several folks couldn't tell me the start of the runway and parking lot or their exact location was disconcerting.
I hope some officers from NVRC have actually eye-balled the runway etc and that's it's actually real and not still just paper.
Old May 01, 2015, 04:12 AM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Who is flying tomorrow. Potential for really nice mild day. Potential for light sprinkles after lunch.
Old May 01, 2015, 04:15 AM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Hey Brad. We heard rumors at the field that you are now a turbine person. True?
I have in fact placed an order last night. Very excited. Glad I cancelled 1st order and did more homework.
Old May 01, 2015, 10:40 AM
Freedom isn't Free
Joined Oct 2012
1,002 Posts
Crap, just was reminded only Heli's this weekend. I want back 1.98% of my dues!!!!
Old May 03, 2015, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by mirored
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBow View Post
Crap, just was reminded only Heli's this weekend. I want back 1.98% of my dues!!!!
I was almost ready to buy a helicopter just so I could fly this weekend at FARCC but.......well......not really. I almost went to the air show in manassas but didn't do that either. Hobby Hangar was there with jet airplane demonstrations. Anyone go?
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored