SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BRENDAN LUGO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by moonraker007
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
I agree with jacko. I have an A9 and a Taranis, and I've mostly stopped using the A9. The Hitec is a superior radio physically, but OpenTx is more capable and easier to program (for me). I do miss the touch screen for some basic setup, but anything I wanted to do that didn't fit the A9's programming model was frustrating at best, and often simply not possible. Still, the same could be said for other big-name radios. I think it would be interesting if Hitec would try implementing their UI as a layer over OpenTx, and users could choose which way they wanted to program. The A9X has the two processor architecture, so it should be possible to be more flexible like that.
it may be a programmers wet dream to have a taranis, but who's manufactuering the components inside the radio and to what reliable specs. this is another reason i will not buy a Graupner radio , it's all chinese components inside, FUtaba is far superior in terms of component quality than a gruapner product, i feel hitec has a little bit more QC over thier stuff vs. anything being sold online from shops like hobbyking and banggood

I dont mean to piss on a taranis radio, but in the end, most modelers want to fly , not sit ant home programming radios, this is where the hitec a9 had the advantage for me.
moonraker007 is offline Find More Posts by moonraker007
Last edited by moonraker007; Apr 15, 2015 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by JediKnight2
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
Hitec is all Chinese components as well...lol. I switched to Taranis Plus and would never go back...just wish I could dump this A9...it would make an expensive trainer box I guess
JediKnight2 is offline Find More Posts by JediKnight2
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:38 AM
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2 View Post
Hitec is all Chinese components as well...lol. I switched to Taranis Plus and would never go back...just wish I could dump this A9...it would make an expensive trainer box I guess
yes, but they put more effort into QC , they have a name brand to back up so better parts, open source stuff doesn't have to hold any reputation. or quality, and theres no one to support it when stuff falls apart.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:13 AM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
Soooooo...I should be happy that the A9 processor was slow enough that they had to fix it with the A9x...cause I wasn't amused. People have been bad mouthing FrySky since their first 2.4 devices. LOL...my Taranis can hover over my dusty A9 at this point, pull it apart and rebuild it....I'm sure I could code the Taranis Plus to do that...lol
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by prefabu
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonraker007 View Post
... but who's manufactuering the components inside the radio and to what reliable specs. ...

I dont mean to piss on a taranis radio, but in the end, most modelers want to fly , not sit ant home programming radios, this is where the hitec a9 had the advantage for me.
I agree about the quality of the hardware, and that's what I mentioned in my post. My Hitec A9 and its receivers are higher quality than my FrSky equipment, though I've had no problems with the latter so far.

Personally I think the OpenTx programming is simpler than Hitec's, but I was suggesting a choice where the user could opt (on a per model basis) whether the programming was done with OpenTx or with a more traditional user interface that translates the settings to OpenTx behind the scenes. This would be relatively simple, and this arrangement would potentially allow different user interface layers that sit on top of OpenTx. I'm not aware of any features in the A9 that can't easily be translated into OpenTx-style settings, but the reverse is not true, and that's why I've mostly switched to Taranis.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:37 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,523 Posts
Quote:
Hitec is all Chinese components as well
Sorry, but this is 100% incorrect. Hitec components come from the Philippines, and are primarily manufactured there as well.

If you do not like Hitec products then that is fine, I know we can't win everybody, however please take other product banter elsewhere.

To all: This is the Hitec Forum and is strictly for Hitec product discussion and assistance.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:35 PM
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Quote:
Soooooo...I should be happy that the A9 processor was slow enough that they had to fix it with the A9x...cause I wasn't amused. People have been bad mouthing FrySky since their first 2.4 devices. LOL...my Taranis can hover over my dusty A9 at this point, pull it apart and rebuild it....I'm sure I could code the Taranis Plus to do that...lol
what are you operating that requires a super fast processor?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 06:04 PM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
OK..I wish Hitec would continue to support their product. Are you saying...ZERO components come from China...cause that's basically impossible in the electronic world.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Quote:
OK..I wish Hitec would continue to support their product. Are you saying...ZERO components come from China...cause that's basically impossible in the electronic world.
I believe it's just the important parts with the highest critical loads have tighter tolerances and quality.

you should find a new Graupner radio and a new Futaba. open those two up and you'll be surprized at the crap the germans are selling, sometimes it's the hardware that matters most, not just the software.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:46 PM
Hitec RCD CSR
Joined Oct 2007
21,523 Posts
Quote:
We fully support all of our products, where that statement came from I really have no idea.

Avoiding components that come from China is impossible- this is where our strict quality control comes into play, we select the best possible components that bring everybody the highest quality products without the huge costs like some brands have with their name.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 06:45 AM
I'm Bonafide!
Wilmington, NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,487 Posts
So there will be future development of the A9?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Non Eius A Stupri Fucus
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonraker007 View Post
what are you operating that requires a super fast processor?
Doesnt need to be super fast, but the A9 processor was struggling to run a timer even close to accurately while transmitting for awhile there, woops
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:53 AM
Joined Feb 2014
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Doesnt need to be super fast, but the A9 processor was struggling to run a timer even close to accurately while transmitting for awhile there, woops
and what effect did that timer have on the radios function? must be origional software, I love the radio more with the newest updates on the module, rx, tx, I can't find a fault . it does what i want and I don't have to sit at my computer to program it
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:01 AM
Hitec RCD CSR
Joined Oct 2007
21,523 Posts
Quote:
So there will be future development of the A9?
With what is going on here at Hitec, as well as at the mother ship in Korea, anything is certainly possible.

Exactly what is going on I cannot say.