SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2008, 07:33 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
Discussion
Best way to apply monokote

Hi, I'm new and need an easy way to cover a nexstar with monokote. Problem is it is all round.
lucasavaitor is offline Find More Posts by lucasavaitor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Use the RCGroups search engine to find threads about MonoKote. There's enough answers already given to get you a new covering for the Nexstar. Actually, the instructions on the MonoKote rolls are good enough. Just buy the covering and read their instructions.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:07 PM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
504 Posts
Take a look at the Monokote Instruction Video. It is very helpful.
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
I searched before, and didn't find anything specific to applying monokote to balsa.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:40 PM
GO COLTS!!!!!
Lafayette, IN
Joined Jun 2007
355 Posts
It is really not that hard. Make sure that you have a good iron and a blow dryer. Because Monokote shrinks when you apply heat, it is pretty forgiving. Be careful because too much heat and you will burn holes in it. Take your time and practice. If you belong to a club, I am sure that you will find a never ending supply of opinions and tips!
planefixer is offline Find More Posts by planefixer
Old Nov 27, 2008, 01:48 AM
rwp
rwp
Joined Nov 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasavaitor
I searched before, and didn't find anything specific to applying monokote to balsa.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSB4&P=7
rwp is offline Find More Posts by rwp
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:15 AM
Resident giant scale guru
Picayune, MS
Joined Oct 2007
517 Posts
don't know bout you guys, but I prefer ultracote. easier around curves, and shrinks better.
my c210 is offline Find More Posts by my c210
Old Nov 27, 2008, 09:21 AM
GO COLTS!!!!!
Lafayette, IN
Joined Jun 2007
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by my c210
don't know bout you guys, but I prefer ultracote. easier around curves, and shrinks better.
I agree 100%. Unfortunatly, my LHS only carries Monokote, so I have to order Ultracote when I need it.
planefixer is offline Find More Posts by planefixer
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
I used white monokote for all of my nexstar. Its pretty nice, but some spots have permanent wrinkles, despite popping air bubbles. Pretty good for a first try though!
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:53 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
what is the general technique for covering complex curves? Heat and stretch?
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Dec 09, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
bwalt, I PAINT complex curves! Plastic covering is the DEVIL to get to stick to inside curves . I'm sure someone will have a better answer.
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:41 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Stretching plastic covering in concave areas ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ag3y
bwalt, I PAINT complex curves! Plastic covering is the DEVIL to get to stick to inside curves . I'm sure someone will have a better answer.
Hello Jim and all readers,

I have recently trying to find what happens or how to handle stretching plastic covering in concave areas. I am not getting anywhere fast.

I even questioned the nature of the glue used on these plastic sheetings.
I have never used them for coverng my airplanes so I am quite ignorant and have some questions.

Do I undestand properly that a layer has to be peeled off ?
YES ... or ... NO (please delete the inappropriate word).

If the answer is YES, is the glue aleady sticky (like a post it label) ?
YES ... or ... NO (please delete the inappropriate word).

I understand at this time that the above line answer has to be NO if we can stretch it in contact with the surface or structure but I will welcome an answer.

I think we know that the glue is affected by heat and that heat has to be applied in order to get sufficient adherance.
RIGHT or WRONG (please delete the inappropriate word).

Now we have a high camber wing and the under surface (bottom surface of the wing) is concave.

How do we make the stretching plastic follow the concave shape where only a line near the leading edge and the trailing edge can touch a straight edge (ruler, anything straight).

Would not the heating pull the surface to a flat surface ? and loose that camber of the airfoil ?

Yes, when I was at school some of my teachers hated some of my questions for an obvious reason. They did not know the answer. So in electrical and electronic classes, having studied all that stuff already by myself, I was studying aviation, aerodynamics, meteorology, air regulations, aircraft engines with manuals hidden on my knees below my desk .

I have not change a bit .

Any one with a moment to respond ?

Would be highly appreciated although not remunerative, I am broke .

Thanks folks and Merry X'mas.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2008, 05:09 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Do I undestand properly that a layer has to be peeled off ?
YES (please delete the inappropriate word).

If the answer is YES, is the glue aleady sticky (like a post it label) ?
NO (please delete the inappropriate word).

I understand at this time that the above line answer has to be NO if we can stretch it in contact with the surface or structure but I will welcome an answer.

I think we know that the glue is affected by heat and that heat has to be applied in order to get sufficient adherance.
RIGHT

I wasnt talking about concave surfaces, I was talking about convex. But in anycase for concave, what I would try to do for an undercambered wing is to lay the covering so that it is laying against the surface as much as possible. Then tack it down around the edges. Normally you would hit it with a heat gun but that would just pull it away from the concave surface. So, I would try tacking it in a semi random pattern all over the concave surface using the lowest possible heat that gets it to stick. You wouldnt be able to slide the iron because that would probably make wrinkles. Once its all stuck, then do the same again with higher heat to really stick it down.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:26 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Hi bwalt822,

Thank you very much for your response.

My concern was that, not knowing how well that glue on the plastic really adheres I was afraid that on final heating and stetching it would pull out the adhernce to the bottom of the ribs.

Enjoy the Xmas season,

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:54 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
it is possible that it would pull loose but if its already stuck down then the tension will be along the surface of the skin if the wing is sheeted which means there is no out of plane force to pull the covering up. It may distort the wing shape though. I'm not sure how it would work across ribs that weren't sheeted. It would probably be ok for a fairly shallow concave surface.

And FYI, this is all purely my speculation because I have never tried covering a concave surface with monokote.