HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 03:37 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,884 Posts
Portland Ford Airship Incident

Anybody know what happened? Punctured, power failure, bad case dumb thumbs or what? I am not making comment one way or another but I have had similar things happen in 18 years of flying the balloons and it ain't funny. Hate to say it but been there, done that and have tee shirt to prove it. Shapes overall are pigs to fly and you are always one mistake from going into the crowds. You have to kind of point and shoot while praying at the same time. Like trying to herd cats. We retired a ship (see below) last season that was limo shaped. Flew as good as one could get a shape to work but a real pain in the ass and leaked. Just got to costly to operate. Over a hundred flights in two seasons.

Portland Blazers - Blimp Down Time Lapse #ripcity (0 min 14 sec)
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:51 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,884 Posts
It's Not a Mans World Any Longer

Christine Beaird started working with my crews earlier this season and graduated to a pinch hitters position this afternoon at the Dallas Mavericks flying both pregame and halftime break. She did an excellent job and will go on to flying a number of events next season for a series of smaller venues in the area. Just needs the flight hours. She will pick up from my younger brother and work the event solo for the University of Texas. Randy will move up to command pilot for the Dallas Stars and Mavericks events.

Presently I have three husband and wife teams working venues here in Ft Worth/Dallas and greater Austin area. All have fun and the extra income never hurt.

I have taken on a position with Taylor Deal Avaition in their Aero Kinectic Divison as Chief Pilot for their UAV projects. Got a call out of the blue asking for my help. Logged over 81 minutes flight time on a series of test on a new air vehicle. Retired eight years ago and it just keeps getting better. Wages to good to pass up at least for a couple of weeks. Another of my pilots was also picked up to assist us and do a little OJT on the systems. He about fell over when I asked him to come down for an interview. He was put to work within an hour of arrival and worked well into the evening his first day. Good kid, great pilot. He has been with me now for four years as one of my prime shooters for the Stars and Mavericks. He now has a chance in an aviation related field for many years. I did over 45 years in military avaition and he now has his chance.
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch