SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:48 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi everyone in the 1:24th scale world.

I'm planning on making a set of signal flags for my ship in scale and was wondering if anyone else would be interested. I'll be doing the artwork myself and am looking into suitable materials and methods of printing them. Pennants as well and possibly ensigns.

Will post some more on it as this small side project progresses.

Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
beautiful deck work!!!....compared to this build, my ship is an, although fun to look at, amateurish effort at best...and that's a fact
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Tim, yes I am in on flags, not sure how many you are planning on, but I would take 6 sets.

Does that help? I could do more if I think about it a bit more.

Gary.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:06 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
beautiful deck work!!!....compared to this build, my ship is an, although fun to look at, amateurish effort at best...and that's a fact
Ah no Vic, that deck is printed (except teh treenail fakes) so no reason to put your light under the bucket again
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2010
257 Posts
I was also thinking about doing some signal flags eventually so I'd be very interested. "Bowman expects every Scorpion to do their duty!"

Btw your stem turned out awesome.
Jpop Andrew is offline Find More Posts by Jpop Andrew
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Vic,

As Meatbomber said...nothing special here. Only added the nails to Philips kit-supplied, excellent deck. Thanks for the comment though. I can only dream of being able to build ships like yours.

Gary, We'll see if I can make the flags look acceptable and also cost effectively. I know there are some out there already available but hoping to make them look more real.

Thanks Andrew

Kind regards
Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
Quote:
Ah no Vic, that deck is printed (except teh treenail fakes) so no reason to put your light under the bucket again
awe shucks..darn it....another opportunity to belittle myself foiled again!

probably no use to you, but i got my flags made at:
info@customflagmaker.com
when i got them i discovered they came all the way from turkey .....
Last edited by yancovitch; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Thank you for the link Vic

I'm going to try and do them. I have a few ideas on how to make them so they look as "scale" as I can.

This is just the initial artwork I did to get the correct dimensions and scale for each size ensign, the pennants and the signal flags. Not all the ones I want to do but just the first quickies. Only one side is shown

also thought this was kind of neat. I read the history and service record for Scorpion again and then read about one of her commanders(pictured below). The stories read just like a Patrick O'brian novel. Amazing. Unfortunately, after he transferred to command a Frigate as Post Captain of (an older ship on which he had served as a Midshipman), he was killed by grapeshot while engaging a 40 gun French frigate. The French ship was captured in the action.

Tim
Last edited by TBowman; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Davits

These won't be mounted until I decide on the two stern, enclosed structures but wanted to get the basic shape and dimensions.

Tim
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:54 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,409 Posts
Tim,
Every part you design is a work of art.
As usual, I'll venture my 2 cents worth...
The davits take hits, and can, under some conditions, snag the boom sheet when it goes slack.
Syren davits are each attached with a single small, short screw (near the center hole in your drawing) In addition, there are two very short alignment pins where you show screw holes. No adhesive used. The short attachment screw allows removal of the davits if desired, easy replacement if they get damaged, and serves as a breakaway feature if they take a hit. The screw head is small and barely visible under the cleated line on the davit.
Suggest not filling the screw holes after mounting as the drawing indicates.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Dan

More wise words from your experience. Easy enough to make it so I can pull them off if needed and have the fasteners semi-concealed. Will make a few extras as well to add to my "spares" box.

Thank you
Tim
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Scorpion has a rudder!

The clear extension/insert will be made further down the road in the build.

It's sitting slightly low. I'll take care of that with a spacer/washer at the bottom of the shaft.

Also assembled the bow sprit pieces just for fun and was amazed at how big it suddenly looked! Made me grin. : )

more soon
Tim
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Some first tests of the 12X24 foot white ensign.

I have a half dozen different materials to try. I liked this one because of it's light weight and nice texture and coloring. Will try a few others too.As with any two-sided print, registration will be a slight challenge but think I can get it close enough to be acceptable.

quick stitch test. Will get proper color threading before I attemp a final one.

Here's an image of a real one.

Have been debating with myself on whether to add all the other stitching or not for the stripes and panels. The other option is to add it to the artwork. Will try some samples of both and see how it looks.

Tim
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2006
856 Posts
you didn't print that yourself?...two sides?...no bleeding?...i went to a special print shop that prints t-shirts etc...., and even they couldn't do it....the ink bled and no definition....what did you do???
if you keep on being so immaculate, you're going to cause others to quit the hobby ...you can name the boat "immaculate conception"
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi Vic

Yes, printed them myself. Once I have some good thread, I'll sew a few of the flags. By the time I get to the last few, I should have the registration figured out. I should have mentioned that the real one shown above is actually a WWII one. So not the best example but good for coloring.

Here's an actual Trafalgar survivor. This recently auctioned off at 680,000.00(can't remember if it was in BP or dollars). It was still with the family of a Captain that was there on a frigate(I think)and kept it in a drawer his whole life then passed own generations.

A few signal flag tests and a red ensign.

more soon
Tim