HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Discussion
Original Formosa Power Setup

Was given a used Formosa with Himax 2028-0980 geared motor. Can't squeeze a 3S 1320 lipo into the upper battery compartment. . What was the original type Formosa battery pack that fit ?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
The Formosa battery compartment was actually designed for NiMH batts, I believe. It could be hogged out to fit a 3S lipo but it's easier to do the foam-boring before the two fuselage halves are glued together during airframe assembly.

2S might fit if you don't mind the lower voltage.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Yup, a 2S pack fits, and seems to run the old Himax 2028-9080 with enough zip to nearly hover. Was surprised to find out how old the Formosa 1 is, the 2 version sounds a lot better for modern lipos, etc. I was given the Formosa, a bunch of Berg regular and stamp receivers and some other flat foamies plus an Airtronics RD-8000 on CH 42, had it converted back to Mode 2. I have been flying 2.4GhZ for some 7 years now, will use 72Mhz for low value fun projects and 2.4 for my built-up scale models. A blast from the past?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
One way to expand the battery compartment is to go at it from the bottom. Remove the wing and go inside with a dremel tool or xacto knife. Cut out the foam under the battery compartment then glue in a plywood shelf. You can take up to a 4S but a 1350 3S is an ideal size and weight for the Formosa. I hope that helps.
foamflyer2 Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer2 Top Spin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Thanks, will see how it goes with a 1320 2S lipo. I already glued an egg sinker to the motor stick so it balances at 90mm from leading edge with 2S pack just aft of the "instrument panel". I also inherited an ugly thick flat foam thing called a "Vulcan" and another thin flat foam thing with flat foam simulated "wheel pants". Being a scale electric model builder vs an ARF/ foam flier, the guys at the field are gonna die laughing at me when I show up with these. May donate that Vulcan as a door prize. All of this stuff looks like 2005 or earlier when lipos and brushless were just getting popular.

Started EP R/C back then with a Chubby Lady and some GWS foam warbirds.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Foamflyer has the idea. Cut out the center of the fuselage just above the wings. Now the battery of your choice can sit right on the wing -- and right on the CG. H/T to NFZ for this idea (alas, it's not my idea.) 3S/1300 is what I use.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:33 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
My EPS Mosa1 balances well with a 3s 1300 with just a 1/4" notch in the "instrument panel". No included graphics and very little paint on it.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
Tried flying with the 1320 2S lipo, limped into the air, but controllable, lost lift, landed in deep stubble. Took advice and cut out bottom of battery compartment, installed ply floor, 1320 3S lipos with velcro fit nicely now. Balances with 3S same as Bartricky's. Much increased thrust,. Expect re-maiden will go well tomorrow.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:44 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Tried flying with the 1320 2S lipo, limped into the air, but controllable, lost lift, landed in deep stubble. Took advice and cut out bottom of battery compartment, installed ply floor, 1320 3S lipos with velcro fit nicely now. Balances with 3S same as Bartricky's. Much increased thrust,. Expect re-maiden will go well tomorrow.
Gotta love the power of a 3 cell lipo battery
You're going to LOVE the performance increase !!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member