HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Discussion
New Additions Proboat's 36" Serenity and a Southahampton Tug

Been a bit on the inactive side for the past few months while preparing for and then moving to a new home in a new city. As you all know moving is a major event in our lives, doing those things involved in moving and setting up a brand new home tends to limit ones focus to things with more gravity than one's hobbies.

During the transition,I had to box up for moving my boats and hobby equipment until such time as I could set up my new workshop set up in my new garage. Happy to report that project is well on the way to being done!

Just before moving I was able to acquire a new RC sailboat produced by Proboat/Horizon Hobbies called "Serenity". For some time, I had been looking to acquire a Fairwind, but was unable to locate one, so when I saw the Serenity, it struck me as having a similar look and feel. I began to try to find one at a reduced price as is my practice to make my hobby dollars go as far as possible. I found one advertised on E-bay by a company that buys damaged RC products like this and sells them at reduced prices.

This particular boat had only exterior box damage, with no damage to anything else. I saved about 35% from the best price I could find else where. The really great thing upon opening the box I was amazed to find one of the best looking fiberglass hulls I have ever seen on an RC boat. Truly as close to flawless as is possible to make it. The boat has very nice detailing including life line stanchions (made of metal not plastic) and other deck details, also made of metal. All positives in my book!

The boat has only two minor negatives. One is the builder has opted to use a dual track drum style sail winch with a plastic drum cover and I am not crazy about the decals used to simulate the boats windows.

Both issues are minor and can be dealt without too much trouble. I don't care for this type of winch for a number of reasons but primarily because it has no tensioning devise to prevent the lines for slacking and getting fouled inside the drum cover. On this type of boat I have had much better success with a standard
sail servo with an arm dual point arm.

Because of the move, I have not had a chance to test the boat yet. But it pasted my bench testing - so I am hopeful the winch will operate as intended once I get the boat in the water. Thus far I am very happy with the boat and look forward to it's maiden voyage.

As I am getting close to getting back into the hobby again, I ordered a Southhampton Tug boat from "Wally World" I had an Atlantis Tug but returned it due to damages it received in transit. I liked the looks of the Southhampton tug and thought at some point I'd like to have one, The price Wally World is selling them for made it easy to make that decision. $129.00

Time will tell if it is as good as it looks in the promo pictures. Should have it next week. Once I have had a chance to get these boats on the water I update this entry to report the results of their sea-trials.

Looking forward to getting back into sailing and flying! I posted a few pictures of the Fairwind and the Serenity to illustrate the similarities.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 03, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Feb 2009
90 Posts
Another boat

Hi Boomer
You got a 612 from me a while ago. I still have one more kit it is an Aussie 2 from MPR. Google it for more info it is open but looks untouched and complete. I found a description posted below. you can have it for postage if you want it. It looks like something you would like but it will require assembly. let me know if your interested.
send a zipcode and i'll find out what postage would be.
Thanks Craig Huzway
RG #58

MRP Aussie II 1/38th scale international 12 meter America's cup class racing yacht, which is RC controlled. Though the box has been opened the item is still wrapped, and is brand new.
Kit includes everything you need except for a 2 channel radio control set.
Features:
Precision molded decorative fittings make this boat startlingly realistic. Highly pre-fabricated injection molded ABS resin hull and deck builds fast. High-tech carbon fiber mast separates for easy transportation plus is very light and rigid. Durable pre-printed nylon sails provide high performance and added realism. Specs:
Length: 19.7" (500mm) Height: 31.1" (792.5mm) Sail Area: 162.8 in2 (10.5dm2) Beam: 4.6" (116.8mm) Weight: 2 lbs. (910g) The Aussie II is a 1/38th scale replica of the 64 foot racing yacht used by Australia in the world-famous America's cup race. Outfitted with realistic fittings including steering wheels, blocks, winches, cockpit, and pre-printed nylon sails. The Aussie II builds quick and looks great.
huzway is offline Find More Posts by huzway