SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2015, 09:04 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
4,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Yes they will. I think the thinking is they will improve all aspects, since you might be fighting the coupling that you mixed out in those maneuvers too. At least that's what I tell myself.
Ill give,it a shot, thanks.
Somethin' Extra is offline Find More Posts by Somethin' Extra
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2015, 12:28 PM
3d NOOBular
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2010
8,546 Posts
I agree... good KE mixes improve hovering and harrier flight as well as any other input that requires rudder input.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra View Post
Will mixes affect other moves, like hovers, or high alpha KE?
I think it depends on how MUCH mix is required, normally if you mix the KE correctly it should help other moves. It will make rolling maneuvers more axial and make your slow rolls very smooth. I've never noticed any adverse affects from mixes, if you are worried about it, just put the mix on a switch.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:43 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
106 Posts
Mixes

I think this might be the year I try out some mixes. I of course read about them and see so many pilots using them. I just could never wrap my head around it. I can fly better now at this point inverted then upright, too much practice, and I could never grasp the concept of a mix working correctly in all orientations. Meaning if I mix in alittle up elevator to rudder, well then when I'm inverted it would pitch the nose down. Maybe it's just a subtle thing huh? In the meantime I've been happy using my thumbs to simply fly the model. Correcting as I see fit. I figured it provided the best learning experience. Always staying on top of things. But I think I'm ready to explore a little.
iadamz is offline Find More Posts by iadamz
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
29,662 Posts
But that is the problem, unless you put the mix on a switch, a mix for one thing will affect other things, so, I don't use them. But, that said, I am a sport flier, not a good 3D flier...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:23 PM
3d NOOBular
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2010
8,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz View Post
I think this might be the year I try out some mixes. I of course read about them and see so many pilots using them. I just could never wrap my head around it. I can fly better now at this point inverted then upright, too much practice, and I could never grasp the concept of a mix working correctly in all orientations. Meaning if I mix in alittle up elevator to rudder, well then when I'm inverted it would pitch the nose down. Maybe it's just a subtle thing huh? In the meantime I've been happy using my thumbs to simply fly the model. Correcting as I see fit. I figured it provided the best learning experience. Always staying on top of things. But I think I'm ready to explore a little.
The mix is just to help the model fly straight. If you want to draw straight lines you need them. This was one of the first really big advantages of a computer radio. If you were doing imac or pattern flying you would want to mix your model to as close to perfect as possible so it requires less input from you.

You are right that the mix for straight KE flight should be pretty subtle. It usually ends up at 5-8% on my planes for elevator and aileron. If your plane drops the nose when you apply rudder (and it does) this is also happening when you fly inverted. By applying the rudder/elevator mix this will be counteracted in every attitude. The coupling should be pretty constant regardless of the orientation of the model. It has the same interaction with the air whether upright or inverted.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:38 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz View Post
If you can use your thumbs to make the corrections, great, no mixing necessary. Mixes just help make things "easier". As for your example, typically used for knife edge flight, yes, the effects are so subtle that when doing an inverted maneuver, especially slow ones such as harrier, you will hardly notice the mix, if at all. Or, do as Steve mentions and put the mix on a switch to enable/disable as desired. It's all personal preference so play with it and do what feels good to you.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Feb 13, 2015, 02:46 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
106 Posts
Sounds like great stuff guys. I think something subtle would be worth playing around with. The switch flipping thing I'm just not good at. From heli flying I expect the model to be all there all the time, be what it is. I can't predict what freestyle maneuver I will ever do next moment to moment. So much depends on model inertia, the exit, and my mood as to what manuver I'll do next, and I tried flipping low rate to high rate switches for a few weeks and gave up.

Thank you all for the good reads, I think taking advantage of the radio is smart. But at least I'm getting good muscle memory for my efforts. We are still in frozen tundra land here so all I can do is think and plan ahead. I like the idea of a 5% almost not perceptible.
iadamz is offline Find More Posts by iadamz