HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2014, 09:46 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
489 Posts
Discussion
Vtail Dynamic-S Durafly

With my DX6i think I have this set right – but wondering… I copied one of my profiles to this new profile for the Dynamic-S. (All of my profiles mix rudder at 20% with aileron) I have the tail now set with Vtail. The ailerons move and the rudder/elev move too. Since this setting mixes the two anyway – I wonder what my custom mix is doing? At 20% aileron in the profile (Before setting as Vtail), I would imagine that it would up the vtail setting that auto mixes to another +20%?

Looking at the vtail though, it doesn’t look to be moving much more than any other plane.

I’ll have to try flicking off the mix, and seeing how the throws change in mix.

Here’s what I found on setting Vtail in the DX6i.

---------------------paste----------------------

V-Tail Preset

The first option to control the V-Tail is found under the WING TAIL MIX settings on the Spektrum DX6i controller. From SETUP LIST, choose WING TAIL MIX and then set V-TAIL to ACTIVATE. This is the predefined setting for controlling V-Tail aircraft.

This setting mixes the Rudder and Elevator controls to achieve the coordinated movements of the two servos.

You may sometimes hear the term Ruddervator to say the same thing as each movable control surface controls both the rudder and the elevator.

The assumption is that you are flying a 4-channel plane and have the rudder on the left stick and the elevator on the right. Unfortunately, most flyers aren't used to this setup for 2- or 3-channel planes.
thosmosis is offline Find More Posts by thosmosis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2014, 10:18 AM
...one of my nicer landings
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
With my DX6i think I have this set right – but wondering… I copied one of my profiles to this new profile for the Dynamic-S. (All of my profiles mix rudder at 20% with aileron) I have the tail now set with Vtail. The ailerons move and the rudder/elev move too. Since this setting mixes the two anyway – I wonder what my custom mix is doing? At 20% aileron in the profile (Before setting as Vtail), I would imagine that it would up the vtail setting that auto mixes to another +20%?

Looking at the vtail though, it doesn’t look to be moving much more than any other plane.

I’ll have to try flicking off the mix, and seeing how the throws change in mix.

Here’s what I found on setting Vtail in the DX6i.

---------------------paste----------------------

V-Tail Preset

The first option to control the V-Tail is found under the WING TAIL MIX settings on the Spektrum DX6i controller. From SETUP LIST, choose WING TAIL MIX and then set V-TAIL to ACTIVATE. This is the predefined setting for controlling V-Tail aircraft.

This setting mixes the Rudder and Elevator controls to achieve the coordinated movements of the two servos.

You may sometimes hear the term Ruddervator to say the same thing as each movable control surface controls both the rudder and the elevator.

The assumption is that you are flying a 4-channel plane and have the rudder on the left stick and the elevator on the right. Unfortunately, most flyers aren't used to this setup for 2- or 3-channel planes.
I can't be sure but I thought I read a few weeks back someone having problems with Spektrum and V-tail mixing. It seems the factory mix, and I can't remember the radio model, didn't give much surface deflection at all. You had to program a greater endpoint range or something.

Search spektrum v-tail programming problems. I'll bet it was covered at this great site. Hope this helps.
suddenstop is offline Find More Posts by suddenstop
Old May 05, 2014, 10:27 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenstop View Post
I can't be sure but I thought I read a few weeks back someone having problems with Spektrum and V-tail mixing. It seems the factory mix, and I can't remember the radio model, didn't give much surface deflection at all. You had to program a greater endpoint range or something.

Search spektrum v-tail programming problems. I'll bet it was covered at this great site. Hope this helps.
Hi Suddenstop. Thanks for the tip. Will look around for more info. It did seem that the tail had very low travel. When though I do still use low rates. 80%.
Old May 05, 2014, 10:36 AM
...one of my nicer landings
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Mar 2014
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Hi Suddenstop. Thanks for the tip. Will look around for more info. It did seem that the tail had very low travel. When though I do still use low rates. 80%.
Mess around with higher rates, higher endpoints, etc. I have an Airtronics and I don't know the words Spektrum uses to describe their radio functions.

I'm new at this and any advice I give should be considered carefully with that in mind.
suddenstop is offline Find More Posts by suddenstop
Old May 19, 2014, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,465 Posts
Just maidened mine today, what a great glider!

Durafly Dynamic-S Maiden Flight on the Beach! (10 min 1 sec)
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old May 21, 2014, 02:30 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
489 Posts
Great first flight!

Dynamic 1 (7 min 5 sec)
Old May 21, 2014, 02:33 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
489 Posts
Second one was more difficult. Think I had maiden luck in slowing it down! This landing was in 6-8" grass/thistle.

Dynamic 2 (9 min 48 sec)
Old Jul 03, 2014, 03:07 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
489 Posts
Oops. Busted the nose off. Repaired. But a little messed up. Wish HK had the Fuse in stock... Looks like it's been out since Jan 2014. Prolly discontinued. Cannot find the ST Models Blaze fuse anywhere in the states either. Should be the same part.