Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:13 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
By the way, I averted disaster today too.
The antenna wire on my Futaba 72 MHz receiver was broken a few inches away from the receiver. It still would work on launching, but would quickly fly out of receiver range, with disastrous results. I am so glad I found this.

I will make my repairs with a soldering iron tomorrow.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 04:18 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Closing in on the finish. Got a coat of paint on the servo panels, waiting for that to dry, sand off the burrs and coat it again. Got the holes drilled. Will use servo mounting screws in four corners. I like to use silicon to mount servos. No screws to strip out of the wood.

Note to self. Next time, reinforce things inside the wing better. Had to double up a couple of things that broke while drilling.

Second note to self.
Spend more money. Get good servos. They work so...normal. The way they're fricking supposed to!

I don't think I'm going to make the panels covering the plugs on the inboard part of the wings removable with screws. Maybe a tiny dab of silicon in the corners and cut through it if I ever need access again.

Okay, back to it...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:49 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I should be done with the Cub tonight...well, done again.
I was already done with it once, but I couldn't make those bad servos work.

Even though I build the side window to open and hinge up, it's still really hard to reach the battery with my big paws and plug it in. So I am simply going to either do a toggle switch or a fuse holder. I'm using a 12V automotive application for that. Because if you think about it, it's rated for DC voltage that's actually slightly higher than an 11.1V Lipo battery. As long as the current rating is matched to that of the ESC, I shouldn't have a problem.
The toggle switch is a 20 Amp, just like my ESC.
But the fuse holder is rated a lot higher, so I might use that. Still thinking about it, but I'm leaning towards that. Besides, if I put the enable fuse lengthwise, along the fuselage, it's a lot more aerodynamic than a toggle switch.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:09 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Okay, I'm finished...the second time.
I got the servos and control surfaces adjusted to where I'm satisfied.
The Dymond D90 servos work flawlessly.

I didn't set up the huge oversized elevator for a lot of throw, because of it's nonstock large size, typical of models of the day that were more free flight than controlled. I have probably 3/8" up and 1/2" down. I have no idea why there's more down than up. But there is. Could be that something is restricting further up-movement. But honestly, unless I'm trying to avert a disaster, I don't think I'd ever need more than that on such a huge elevator.

I haven't installed a switch inline with one of the battery leads yet because frankly, that scares me a little. If something were to go wrong and I blew a fuse for some freaky reason, if I'm lucky, it'll just become a FF and I'll have to track it down. Otherwise it could crash. I might leave it as-is, even though it's difficult to plug the battery in through the hinged side window. I'd like to ask Pat Tritle his advice when I maiden this in Albuquerque on Feb. 5th.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I promised a photo of the finished aileron servo hatch.
Here it is.
Astute viewers may also notice that the pushrod for the aileron does not have a stop on it, and can slip out. That's just because I haven't put something on it yet.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 12:05 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
Aileron servo installation looks good, builderdude, good clean accessibility if it has to be removed, too.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:03 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Thank you.
I've used that method before, but began to question why make accessible hatches when I hardly ever lose a wing servo. The bigger thing is, I don't like having to cut open a perfectly good wing skin to get in to the servo if I ever need to. So I'm going back to accessible servos again, I guess.

Just a couple of days before the maiden!
It's really a tight schedule for me though. I have to be in a conference in Albuquerque at 8 AM, the second day that I am there. If I get to the flying field at 6 AM, I can fly for about an hour, then leave by 7 so that I can get through the rush hour.
That's assuming we don't get snow the day before, which I think is predicted. That might not work so well with the Cub, which has wheels. I wonder if I could come up with skis to strap to the wheels with rubber bands before then. Hmmm...

I'm also taking my AJ 404 Interceptor, which I've re-motored with a new ESC.
In fact, I should post to my build thread about that...
Old Feb 01, 2014, 04:58 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,141 Posts
Rain and/or snow is predicted Wed through Fri, in Rio Ranch, a suburb. Mostly sunny with temps in the mid to upper 40s, before that.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 01, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Yeah maybe. This time of year, flying IS dicey. But according to Weather Underground, it should be around 27 degrees with a 4 mph wind out of the west, and dry. This is for Wednesday.

The only problem is the sunrise is at 7:02 and I have to be back in my conference by 8:00. I might have only about 15 minutes to fly, at the most.
Old Feb 02, 2014, 05:28 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,141 Posts
They've moved the snow up to Tuesday, now.

It's too bad. A friend said that they had a day in the 60s, last week.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 03, 2014, 09:57 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
It was absolutely gorgeous during Superbowl Sunday in Amarillo, once the clouds came out. I was doing Superbowl activities but all I could think about was flying. Absolutely no wind at all. One of only half a dozen such days per year in this part of the country.

I have a very short flying window Wednesday. I am in Albuquerque on a business trip and I am expected somewhere at 8:00 AM. The sun rises at 7:02 AM. I only have time for a short proving flight in the Cub, and then pack it up and rush out of there and get to my meeting.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:11 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I have been quiet about this project for awhile.
The maiden flight took place as scheduled, but ended in disappointment.

The weather, for one thing, was horrible. It was right inbetween two snow squalls. One just the day before and the other one closing in later that same morning. We met out at Balloon Fiesta park, but it was closed that day. So I had no choice but to use the gravel parking lot adjacent to it. It was overcast and the wind picked up to 10 or 12 mph out of the north as soon as the sun came up.
I should have really cancelled all flying that day and chosen a better day. But I don't get out to Albuquerque often enough. So thinking at 2 1/2 pounds, this bird had enough mass to fight the wind, I unwisely decided to proceed with the maiden flight.

The first two fast taxi tests went okay, but the wind kept pushing the plane around in an arc and it wasn't tracking straight.
the third attempt, it tracked straight and took off into the wind, but was moving really fast and flew in ground effect for about 50 ft or so. Then it went up in a 45 degree angle and it stalled. She probably stalled at about 20 ft height, around 100 or so feet away from the launch point, fell off on her right wing and the blustery wind turned it and it tried to recover going with the wind, but didn't have enough altitude for a successful recovery. It augered in at around a 40 degree angle. 10 more feet may have caused a very rough ground contact on the landing gear. Just not quite enough altitude.
And it would seem, not quite enough power either.

The damage was remarkably minimal for such a tough-built airplane. This was designed for the vibration of a glow engine. And probably the power of one too.
One wing sheared off at the wing root, when the mahogany ply dihedral brace failed. The wings were otherwise undamaged. The plastic nose cone shattered, as did the windshield. The balsa around the landing gear cracked when the airplane 3-pointed between the nose and the two front wheels. But that's it.

I have already fixed the wing and will re-cover it today.
There's hardly anything to fix on the fuselage. Glue the crack and replace the windscreen. That's it.

However, I am buying a .15 Schneurle for it this time.
That's around 6 oz. It might actually LOSE some weight going with the glow motor.
Considering the fact that I had an ounce of outrunner up front, with a 5.5 oz Lipo in the cabin, and another 2 oz of lead in the plastic nose...yeah, this will lose a few ounces with a glow motor.

We'll have a second maiden attempt at the MADS field in Clovis, New Mexico, on the West Texas border probably...with a friend of mine.
Old May 14, 2014, 02:16 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Repairs are complete.
Awaiting the .15 glow engine...