HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2002, 04:06 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Modifying GWS Landing Gear

Hi Guys,

I ordered some 2" light weight foam wheels from Balsa Products for my GWS Zero to replace the stock spindle wheels. My new wheels arrived today. They are incredibly light, but they are too wide for the "axle" part of the stock landing gear. I considered "re-bending" the existing gear to make the axle portion longer. But, there is not a lot of prop clearance now and that may cut it too close. So it looks like I'll pick up some piano wire at the LHS and make another set of landing gear to go with my foam wheels.

I've seen a bunch of nice Zero pics here with lightweight foam wheels. Any hints or tips about what worked or didn't work modifying your Zero landing gear?

Thanks,

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2002, 04:22 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I used a small piece of aluminum tubing. It was just slightly larger than the wire landing gear, so it slid right on. I used a little probond glue to hold it to the landing gear. My wheels slid onto the tubing perfectly.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old May 28, 2002, 05:58 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sgil2001
I used a small piece of aluminum tubing. It was just slightly larger than the wire landing gear, so it slid right on. I used a little probond glue to hold it to the landing gear. My wheels slid onto the tubing perfectly.
Great idea! Did you buy the tubing at a hardware store or hobby shop? Also, what type of fasteners did you use as "wheel collars?"

That's what I love about ezone ... lots of great ideas!

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old May 28, 2002, 06:11 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Carl, I've been using alum tubing with my HL Lyt wheels too. For wheel collars try an appropriate size of wire insulation or heat shrink tube. If it's not a real tight fit you can secure it with CA.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 28, 2002, 06:25 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
You can get the alum. tubing at most hobby shops. I used some of the little plastic things that come with the kit to hold the wheel on. The thing that has all the plastic parts on has several sized pieces that look like the wheel collars that you're supposed to use. I just took the larger pieces and reamed them out a bit so they would fit on the tubing. If my obscure description didn't help, maybe this picture will.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old May 28, 2002, 06:26 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
I did some head scratching on that too since I had already epoxied the current mount and wire into the wing.... What I did was take a piece of wire and bend into a right angle. This wire was small enough that the original wire + the new wire still fit in the wheel hole. Then wrapped thread around the wires on the upper leg of the gear and covered with epoxy. Then slid the wheel over both wires and soldered a small washer on the end of the wire. seems to work ok...... Yep, I know a kludge; but is works ! Wheels do spin freely and ROGs just fine.

Oh to strenghen the gear I first put a shrink tube onto the main gear; I then slide an 1/8" dowel into the tube next to the wire and shrunk the tubing. I then tied (like on a fishing pole) thread around both ends of tube, wire, and dowel and covered thread with epoxy. Works great. I think the length of the dowel and tubing is about 2 to 3 inches as I still wanted some flex in gear for landing. Anyway I 'clarkatized' it.....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; May 28, 2002 at 06:30 PM.
Old May 28, 2002, 06:36 PM
Kingsport Tn.
Joined Nov 2001
535 Posts
I use brass tubing and solder it on. You can solder brass, but not aluminum .
Aspen is offline Find More Posts by Aspen