HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:26 PM
United States, TX, Victoria
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Mini-Review
WL Toys V292 Nano-Quad Mini-Review

I got a big envelope from TMart yesterday; more teeny-tiny fun in store for li'l ol' me.

V292 is on my bench; initial reactions are: It's very much like its cousin the V272, only cuter packaging. Flight characteristics are almost identical; egg packaging lends itself to being easily tossed in a backpack for use at a moment's notice.

Review V292 graciously provided gratis by TMart.com:

http://tinyurl.com/V292-at-TMart

Here's some eye candy for you:

There it is, in black & white: V292 2.4GHz (and lots more in Chinese)

Awww; isn't that adorable; it comes in a little red egg. Just in time for Easter.

All you folks who were clamoring for a product more like the Estes Proto X: Here it is; cheesy tinkertoy game-controller TX and all.

[EDIT 4/21/2014]

Notes :

2 Rate Modes; High & Low.

Small toy-ish game-controller style TX.

AUW 13.72 gr; approx 1 gr heavier than V272.

Larger, 110mAH battery; weighs approx 0.72 gr more.

Chipset: Nuvoton Mini54ZAN CPU (This is a guess based on nearly identical PCB trace layout and related ICs on board; actual CPU appears to have original IC MFR marks lasered off), Invensense MPU6050 Gyro/Accel, Beken BK3423 RF

TX uses different protocol from other WL Toys V2x2 quads; I've been unable to bind it to any of my V202/V911/V959/Turnigy 9XR TX.

I have ALSO not been able to bind it to the TX which came with my V272, even though T-Mart lists its WL-R5 6G TX as compatible with V272, V282, V292, V212, V202, V252 & V222; I can confirm that it WILL bind to my V202 quad, however. This points to either an erroneous product listing on their part, or it IS possible that my V272 TX doesn't have the full protocol set flashed to it; it did come with a hand-written label on the back as my only evidence of what model it actually is.

It is also POSSIBLE the devs at Deviation have a compatible protocol in their open-source firmware for the Walkera Devo Series Transmitters; there are oodles for the NRF24L01, but I haven't been able to verify. Quad uses BEKEN BK3423 RX chip; unconfirmed research on internet suggests this is the same one used by several Hubsan X4 clones, and that it is compatible with NRF24L01 TX chip. It is for sure not Turnigy/FlySky Protocol, which uses A7105 RF chip. RF Module in TX is labeled LG2.4G-2423D; it is Chip-On-Board, so no discrete IC.

LONG (Several packs) review video is on YouTube at :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhxcDdSMLI

Enjoy!

mnem
*Swarm of mosquitoes on crack*
mnemennth is online now Find More Posts by mnemennth
Last edited by mnemennth; Apr 21, 2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Incorrect RF Protocol Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:25 PM
Joined May 2007
120 Posts
Interesting, wasn't aware of this new quad. Digging the form factor of the egg shape case. That makes this interesting from a casual quad flying perspective. It's fun to have something like this on one's person to kill some time when out and about and needing to wait on something (friends, transport, etc.)

Hopefully the controller/charger combo will work well.

Cheers,

-Scott
WorldScott is offline Find More Posts by WorldScott
Last edited by WorldScott; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2014
14 Posts
I just noticed that they are selling a V282 as well. Looks to have the same Tx dimensions as the Proto X/Q4?
RACERX167 is offline Find More Posts by RACERX167
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:39 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
973 Posts
So are the v282 and v292 using different protocols. Aaron from BG claimed there would be one that used the V911 protocol and everyone said impossible. Id love one that did use that protocol so I could use my X9 TX
handy2 is online now Find More Posts by handy2
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:38 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Scott - Charger is a simple USB dongle/cord with charging circuitry built-in just like the V272.

See my updated review notes above re: RF Protocol.

mnem
*Radiddio*
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:43 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
5,569 Posts
Ok I think they use now their Fourth protocol (after Flysky, HiSkyand V2x2). This one I guess is the same than the V252 pro .... Actually, it's not a good news coz it's not yet hacked with deviationTX. The real open question is : Why they changed again the protocol ????? except to loose confidense of customers .... I guess it's a story of patents behind

EDIT : Hubsan X4 is using A7105 RF chip not the nRF24L01 compatible such BK2423
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:49 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,516 Posts
mnemennth,
Unfortunately you hopped on the wrong train.
An ORIGINAL Hubsan X4 doesn't use a BK3423 chip but an A7105.
Therefore it is not compatible to NRF24L01 based protocols.

Alll the X4 copycats (WL, JXD, etc) out there (at least all I know of) are based on NRF24L01 communication, though.

-mike-

Edit:
SBD beat me

2nd edit:
As guessing is at least unproductive and mostly misleading I strongly recommend to hold back any protocol based speculations as long as no hard data is there to prove.
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 03:43 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Aha, so the rumors are true... I heard the boss say that they went to another company for their quad boards... I told him that they would be out of their minds if they did so!

Guess we could call them crazy now... I'm tired of making phone calls to WLToys asking them "what on Earth possessed you to do ________??!?"

That said, if the board has the letters "LG" on it, that means that it should be Lan Guang, the same guys who made their previous 2X2 boards... did they change protocols out of the blue?

I'm lost...
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
Aha, so the rumors are true... I heard the boss say that they went to another company for their quad boards... I told him that they would be out of their minds if they did so!

Guess we could call them crazy now... I'm tired of making phone calls to WLToys asking them "what on Earth possessed you to do ________??!?"

That said, if the board has the letters "LG" on it, that means that it should be Lan Guang, the same guys who made their previous 2X2 boards... did they change protocols out of the blue?

I'm lost...
I am lost too .... WLtoys are definitively crazy ...

With the V252-Pro, the acronym compagy is ABE .... (the same for new SYMA and I guess for XinXun, YD).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:38 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2013
973 Posts
So does anyone know for sure which protocol the v282 and v292 is using or we all speculating
handy2 is online now Find More Posts by handy2
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:57 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Mike, SBD -

Thanks for the correction; original post edited to reflect this information.

I'll be honest, the whole RF Protocol Square Dance with WL Toys (And all the cheap tiny aircraft MFRs) just makes my brains hurt.

As for why, I really suspect it has a lot more to do with which PCB producer will save them 5c per copy than any Copyright issues; these guys are already engaged in a race to the bottom of the pricing scale, so I'm sure every penny counts.

Remember that these guys' biggest customers aren't us; they're they guys in all those Mall Kiosks selling these things for 200-300% markup. They couldn't care less about RF protocols, they care about "How cheap can I buy 20 at a time? How about 50?"

Handy -

Until someone gets one of these in hand and is able to get it to bind to some other TX than the one which came with, all we can do is try and whittle down the list of possibilities to figure out what it ISN'T. TMart lists its WL-R5 6G TX as compatible with V272, V282, V292, V212, V202, V252 & V222, yet I was unable to get the V292 to bind to the TX which came with my V272.

This doesn't mean anything for sure, except that maybe my V272 TX is deficient because it was a one-off for my pre-release V272, or maybe their WL-R5 6G TX actually supports multiple protocols and can auto-negotiate. Or maybe they've shackled Steve Jobs' ghost to an RF chip and it's all done by ritual capacitor sacrifice...

mnem
Last edited by mnemennth; Apr 21, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
664 Posts
So what is the difference between the v272 and the v292 besides the protocol?

Also, I was a little disconnected from RCG in the past few months, and yesterday I was checking that, and saw the v252 PRO... What's the difference vs the old v252?
Tboost is offline Find More Posts by Tboost
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:21 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
Differences are packaging, toy-style TX and a 110mAH battery vs the 100mAH battery from the V272, and AUW is right at a gram more than the V272.

Oh, and the blue LEDs are a little brighter, and you can't turn them off.

mnem
*wibble*
Old Apr 21, 2014, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,212 Posts
YouTube Video is now PUBLISHED!

If you were having issues with the link to my video, it may have been because it hadn't been published yet. This is now done, link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhxcDdSMLI

Thanks for looking!

mnem
Whirrrrrrrr!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemennth View Post
Until someone gets one of these in hand and is able to get it to bind to some other TX than the one which came with, all we can do is try and whittle down the list of possibilities to figure out what it ISN'T. TMart lists its WL-R5 6G TX as compatible with V272, V282, V292, V212, V202, V252 & V222, yet I was unable to get the V292 to bind to the TX which came with my V272.

This doesn't mean anything for sure, except that maybe my V272 TX is deficient because it was a one-off for my pre-release V272, or maybe their WL-R5 6G TX actually supports multiple protocols and can auto-negotiate. Or maybe they've shackled Steve Jobs' ghost to an RF chip and it's all done by ritual capacitor sacrifice...
For me it's an error to indicate comptability of this V292 with other V2x2 models.